food

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree9Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 23rd, 2012, 10:41 PM
Veteran
have any of you guys started giving you LO any rice? how about letting them taste things off your fingers?

i have let Carli taste a few things from my finger but not much. she had a lick of a popcicle the other day and she smiled so big lol. i have had some people tell me to start putting rice in her bottles but i think its just way to early for that.

huge thank you to *kiliki* for the amazing siggy!
October 24th, 2012, 02:12 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
Not rice. I tried her with a rusk, just having a little suck of it, but she had an upset tummy the next day and I don't know if that's why so am leaving it a while before trying again. It's a shame though cos she loved it.

October 24th, 2012, 04:54 AM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
No, I don't ever give rice cereal. I'm sure that all of the grandparents will be sneaking him plenty of new flavors at Thanksgiving and Christmas get togethers though.
AllyssaM and afwifey09 like this.

October 24th, 2012, 05:29 AM
Mountain~Mama's Avatar ThePastHasNoPowerOverMe
We don't do cereal either and wont give her any tastes of anything until she's six months. She's having enough tummy trouble right now as it is, I don't want to cause more.
AllyssaM and newmommysarah like this.
October 24th, 2012, 07:42 AM
Nikke2527's Avatar Veteran
After his 4month check up next month, I will see what the doc recommends. If they say to go ahead then I will start rice cereal at first and work our way up. I did jar food with my other kids but think I am going to try making my own baby food this time around.
October 24th, 2012, 08:28 AM
Mom to Madeline
I'll see what her doc recs at her 4 month check up. But, I'm curious about rice cereal now bc of the arsenic content. I've heard some doctors urging not to give rice cereal to infants...but it's been given for years....so I don't know.

Madeline has had major tummy issues, so I bet we wait until 5-6 months.
October 24th, 2012, 08:48 AM
Blessed.Life's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I let Micah lick an apple slice and a watermelon slice. He like the apple, not so much the watermelon
afwifey09 likes this.
October 24th, 2012, 08:49 AM
Sherry777's Avatar Blessed Mommy
Doctors are not always right.
Arsenic was recently found in rice cereal. Also, babies cannot process cereals until after the age of one. Rice can cause terrible gas if introduced too early.

October 24th, 2012, 09:30 AM
magz88's Avatar First Time Mum
No way. He is only 2 months old. We are going to go straight to regular food anyhow when the time comes.
Sherry777 and mama4life like this.
October 24th, 2012, 11:15 AM
1fabulousfem's Avatar Mommy to Finn + 1!
I've given a baby teaspoon of rice cereal to Finn once a day for the past four days. I use my breast milk, make it very liquidy, and give it to him at noon hour. He hasn't had any constipation, opens his mouh to it and is absolutely content. I won't be giving him more than that for a while. It has helped his spit up issue significantly.
I don't recommend adding it to a bottle. It's a choking hazard.
Everyone has their own opinion but this works well for us.

October 24th, 2012, 11:20 AM
LadyCoconut's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by magz88 View Post
No way. He is only 2 months old. We are going to go straight to regular food anyhow when the time comes.
This.
mama4life likes this.

October 24th, 2012, 11:21 AM
Cylence's Avatar I'm a Toys 'R Us kid
I'm not interested in introducing food until at least 6 months, although the Dr. said we'd talk about it at her 4 month appt. I have let her try ice cream from my finger, once, and she loved it, but that was more of a treat, since she was so good for our shopping trip
afwifey09 likes this.
October 24th, 2012, 11:30 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Nothing for us until around 7-9 months, then just baby led feeding of regular foods.

October 24th, 2012, 02:21 PM
MosaicWife's Avatar Missa
An infant doesn't need any kind of solids before six months. Cereal of all kind has no nutritional value and they can choke on it because they're not ready. There are a multitude of other reasons too like the whole open gut thing. Unless a doctor recommends it for a medical reason like reflux then there's no point and it does more harm than good.

October 24th, 2012, 02:24 PM
alicenwonderland's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to alicenwonderland
Nothing for us till she is AT LEAST 6 months old, maybe even older.

October 24th, 2012, 04:28 PM
AllyssaM's Avatar Emmersyns Mommah
An infant doesn't NEED solids at all for the first year of life - It's more for fun/practice.

That being said, nope. Absolutely not. She's only two months and I am in NO hurry for her to grow up. I admit that I started my first on solids {slowly} a bit after 4 months, but I do not want to start that early with Adalyn. I know how fast this time goes, I want to keep her infancy around as long as I can. And we'll be skipping cereal all together. The only reason I'll be feeding her jarred food is because we got a TON of free stuff from my friend. We'll probably do a mix of that & table food until it's gone, then just go to table food

October 24th, 2012, 05:33 PM
HippieLove's Avatar Modern Day Brady Bunch
Send a message via MSN to HippieLove
God no, for all the reasons stated.

Emma, girlfriend of Loz, future step-mama to J (15) and K (10), Mama to Jaelah (8), Oliver (5), Mianna (4) and Harper (2), WTTC our first together, in 2015.
October 24th, 2012, 05:34 PM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
Not yet. I'll start cereal eventually, just not sure when. I'm also making my own food this time around. I'll probably start that around 6 months or so.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

October 24th, 2012, 07:34 PM
Veteran
i dont want to start her on anything yet. i think she is still way way too young i will give her tastes of things just as a treat but thats about it. i was just curious what you ladies thought of it.

huge thank you to *kiliki* for the amazing siggy!
October 24th, 2012, 07:45 PM
Jenn1320's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Not here. Plan to EBF for 6 months.

Thank you Vicki for an beautiful siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search