Breastfeeding Plateau

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By magz88
  • 3 Post By therevslady

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 29th, 2012, 08:25 AM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
I seem to have hit my breastfeeding plateau. Ugh. It happens after every baby. I get to a certain point and hold on to the rest of the weight until I wean. This unfortunately happens to be 5 lbs heavier than my last plateau. I was hoping to get down at least 5 more lbs, but it seems to be holding on. Does anyone else tend to do this?

Has anyone found a way past the breastfeeding plateau? I'd love to continue losing 1 lb a week if I could find a way past this. I'm currently counting calories and I work out at least 30 minutes every day. I've been running 3 times a week, walking occasionally, and doing 30DS. I cook from scratch, rarely eat out, and we don't eat anything from a box. No sweets. And I do not drink hardly any calories. I give myself 1200 calories as a base, plus an additional 500 calories for breastfeeding, and depending on my appetite, I will eat back my exercise calories.

I'd love to have any input from you all. I want to beat this plateau!

October 29th, 2012, 09:27 AM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
Since this is my first, I have no advice...just wanted to say good luck! I do know a friend of mine plateaued, and then added C52K and went on to lose a lot. She also was breastfeeding and didn't affect her supply.

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
October 29th, 2012, 10:40 AM
Mountain~Mama's Avatar ThePastHasNoPowerOverMe
I didn't hit a plateau before but I was also tandem nursing and I think they were eating me alive! I couldn't keep the weight on.

This time I'm stuck at my current weight no matter what I've done. I need to lose about 10-15 more to get to my happy with my body weight and it's not budging.

Sorry - no advice, just in the same boat.
October 29th, 2012, 01:05 PM
magz88's Avatar First Time Mum
I don't know how tall you are but 1700 calories seems low to me considering that you are breastfeeding. If you don't eat enough your body will often stop giving up the fat.
Cylence likes this.
October 29th, 2012, 04:11 PM
I'm 5'3 on a good day So yeah, I'm kind of short.

October 29th, 2012, 04:44 PM
Here is a formula for figuring out what calories you need based on your activity. It works pretty well. You are probably the second one.

Estimating Requirements
The simplest method is to base your intake on a standard 'calories per unit of weight (usually kilograms)'. Typically:
- 26 to 30 kcals/kg/day for normal, healthy individuals with sedentary lifestyles doing little physical activity [12.0-14 kcal/pound]
- 31 to 37 kcal/kg/day for those involved in light to moderate activity 3-5 x a week with moderately active lifestyles [14-16 kcal/ pound]
- 38 to 40 kcals/kg/day for those involved in vigorous activity and highly active jobs [16-18 kcal/ pound].
For those involved in HEAVY training (eg: athletes) - the demand is greater:
- 41 to 50 kcals/kg/day for those involved in moderate to heavy training (for example: 15-20 hrs/ week training) [18.5-22 kcal/ pound]
- 50 or above kcals/kg/day for those involved in heavy to extreme training [> 22 kcal/ pound]
October 29th, 2012, 04:50 PM
If you want to weigh 120 then would need about 1680-1920. So you are probably aiming for the right amount if you weren't breastfeeding.

But you should base your deficit on your current weight.

Then your next question would be - are you measuring correctly or are you maybe actually eating/drinking more than you think?

Last edited by magz88; October 29th, 2012 at 04:54 PM.
November 2nd, 2012, 07:59 AM
I don't know what I did differently but I've lost 4 more lbs! I guess the plateau only lasted for a couple of weeks this time. I've stayed in the 1700 calorie range. I haven't been working out as much the past two weeks because I got sick and then I've been busy with Halloween stuff. I guess I really need to make sure to eat back my exercise calories when I work out, because that's the only thing that has been different the past week.
Mountain~Mama, Mom2JDub and magz88 like this.

November 3rd, 2012, 01:25 PM
MosaicWife's Avatar Missa
Me me me! After I had Doc I was running and doing pilates and the weight was falling off. I plateaued right around the holidays and said screw it until the New Year then DH and I did the Five Factor for a month and I lost the rest of it. Ater Harper I didn't exercise and I plateaued at the same weight. It stuck around until the next summer then I guess by chasing a toddler and a pre-schooler around and naturally not eating as much because it was hot I lost the rest of it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search