Having a bad bf'n few days.

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mountain~Mama

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 7th, 2012, 11:19 AM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
E has been pretty demanding since Sunday. It's been driving me nuts the way he's been eating. I'm lucky if he goes longer than 2 hours during the day for the most part. It's been frustrating cause he's not eating for his normal time duration. He's been going shorter, with the occasional longer. The longer I don't mind since it tends to fill him up. But the 5 mins or less kill me. Especially when he refuses to take anymore then screams with no satisfaction an hour later. I gave into formula yesterday but he refused it. He took a few sips and would not drink the bottle at all. I'm kinda ready to toss up my hands at ebf, to be honest. But how can I if he won't take formula. Ugh. Any ideas?

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

November 7th, 2012, 11:25 AM
Mom2JDub's Avatar (formerly junie22)
What about pumping when he naps to try to build up a stash for bottle feeding when you're boobs are just too tired to do it? Jackson rarely goes longer than 2 hours between feedings, and it is exhausting.

November 7th, 2012, 11:27 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
oh Liz xxx

Other ladies will prob have better advice than me, but if you do decide to supplement, try different formulas - just because he refuses one doesn't mean he'd hate them all. I find the little ready mix cartons good for tryouts. And different sorts of teats/bottles - do they do the TT "closer to nature" ones over there? they'e meant to be the nearest thing to breast shape. Michaela loves them.

I hope he has a better day tomorrow xxx

November 7th, 2012, 11:29 AM
Mom2JDub's Avatar (formerly junie22)
Ditto the Tommee Tippee bottles. We've been trying to get Jackson accustomed to bottles since he starts day care next week. He rejected them even with my expressed milk until we switched to TT. Now he slurps them down.

November 7th, 2012, 11:41 AM
ufmelissa824's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sounds like a growth spurt and based on his age, he's right on target for a wonder week(s). As far as formula goes, I second trying a different kind.

I BF or pump as much as possible but I've also supplemented Emily with formula since she was about a week old (due to jaundice and gaining issues). Even though she's used to formula, she doesn't like certain kinds and won't really take those bottles (like some of the pre-mixed kinds). Also, some babies won't take bottles from their moms when they know there's a perfectly good boob right there Maybe T or your DH could try it and see if that works.

Last edited by ufmelissa824; November 7th, 2012 at 11:51 AM.
November 7th, 2012, 11:53 AM
Veteran
DITTO!!!!! It's been a hard almost two weeks!!!!!!! And Baby Boy just stopped taking the bottle completely!!!! He had no trouble with TT when we introduced it at 3 weeks. Now he just chews on the nipple and won't drink!
November 7th, 2012, 12:00 PM
Pixie Dust's Avatar Veteran
We are going throught the same thing! It is like just when I think this EBF is going great something happens and I get frustrated!

I think we are dealing with a few things:
* a growth spourt
* he realizes that things are going on around him (TV, siblings, noises)
* he want to socialize with me when he looks up and see me looking at him
* and he is hungry because he didn't eat well the feeding before so he fights it

Hopefully it will work itself out in a few days!

Does anyone know where I can find info about when to expect growth spourts??

Thanks Vicki... for my siggy!

November 7th, 2012, 12:06 PM
Mountain~Mama's Avatar ThePastHasNoPowerOverMe
I think in a week or so you will look back and say, "so that's what this was all about." Could be a growth spurt, has he had shots lately? Maybe he's gearing up for something developmentally.

Hang in there Liz, there's a reason for his behavior, he knows what he needs even if we don't.

mama4life likes this.
November 7th, 2012, 01:46 PM
ufmelissa824's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixie Dust View Post
Does anyone know where I can find info about when to expect growth spourts??
According to kellymom, the expected times for growth spurts are 7-10 days, 2-3 weeks, 4-6 weeks, 3 months, 4 months, 6 months and 9 months

Here's info on the "wonder weeks" of development: My Baby Sleep Guide: When are the Wonder Weeks?

November 7th, 2012, 02:01 PM
MosaicWife's Avatar Missa
Same here. He's only really eating fir a long time if he's ready for a nap. He would rather smile at me than eat or play a game where he latches on fir a few seconds, let's go, smiles and then latches back on. He inevitably sucks in a ton of air and needs to be burped. When I sit him up to burp he cries and fights to lie back down. It can be really frustrating. This is what I went through with Doc and I misread his cues as he didn't want to BF anymore and weaned way too early and really regretted it. Not saying you would too, that was just my experience and I'm determined to get past it this time.

November 7th, 2012, 02:06 PM
I use the avent bottles and he's good with those. I have some playtex vent air that he used a few times but now won't take them. DH tried last night and he wouldn't take it from him either. I used the gentlease figuring if he's anything like my others, the regular formula will only be trouble. I've really slacked in pumping. I just don't have the desire to do it or time either. By the time I pump a good amount he's ready to eat again. He's not falling asleep after nursing, so he could be up for an hour or so before he'll nap a bit.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)

November 7th, 2012, 02:36 PM
Pixie Dust's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufmelissa824 View Post
According to kellymom, the expected times for growth spurts are 7-10 days, 2-3 weeks, 4-6 weeks, 3 months, 4 months, 6 months and 9 months
Thanks!!!

Thanks Vicki... for my siggy!

November 7th, 2012, 03:06 PM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
Sorry to hear you're having issues. Hope you are able to resolve it and move past, whichever route you go.

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
November 7th, 2012, 03:09 PM
Sherry777's Avatar Blessed Mommy
Sounds like a combination of comfort nursing / cluster feeding. Pippa won't let me have more than 25 minutes before nursing sessions when I am home. It is draining. I don't get to leave the couch until she goes to bed. Sometimes she will fuss at my breast after only a few minutes; that is generally when she wants to nurse herself to sleep.

November 7th, 2012, 03:30 PM
magz88's Avatar First Time Mum
Hang in there, Liz. My SIL went through what you are describing with her son a few weeks ago. He was born July 12.
November 7th, 2012, 04:40 PM
irunpink's Avatar Sophie
This may sound weird but maybe try nursing in a different position when he only wants to nurse for 5 minutes? MY LO does this sometimes when she's tired, so I do the side lying thing and she nurses for a longer time and falls asleep eventually too. Good luck!

Thank you, *Kiliki*, for my sweet siggy!

November 7th, 2012, 05:42 PM
Ever's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We go through the same thing. Connor gets his fill when he eats but he just likes to snack all through the day. He loves curling up with me and nursing till he falls asleep. I love it too, when I can just let him stay for as long as he wants.
November 7th, 2012, 07:46 PM
Tried with some formula again around dinner time, no go. A few gulps and that's it. Screamie meamie made his dissatisfaction known. Maybe it is a comfort nurse since it's only for a few mins. I don't know. I thought comfort nursing means they fall asleep nursing. But he's not doing that. He'll nurse, pull off smile and be a happy an alert baby for about 30 - 60 mins. Then he gets fussy. I have noticed that he's been a bit gassier the past few days. I haven't eaten anything new. So I'm clueless there. I've also noticed he's spitting up a bit more than normal for him. He's spitting up chunks at times and this is a good hour after he's nursed. Or he'll spit up a decent amount within a few mins with a huge bubble that comes up with it.

He was a bit better today but not by much. Monday he couldn't and wouldn't stop eating and when he wasn't eating he was sleeping. The past two days he's eaten much less. We have a big road trip in less than 2 weeks and I really need to be able to feed him adequately.

Liz (36) Kev (35)

November 7th, 2012, 07:56 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.A.T View Post
I use the avent bottles and he's good with those. I have some playtex vent air that he used a few times but now won't take them. DH tried last night and he wouldn't take it from him either. I used the gentlease figuring if he's anything like my others, the regular formula will only be trouble. I've really slacked in pumping. I just don't have the desire to do it or time either. By the time I pump a good amount he's ready to eat again. He's not falling asleep after nursing, so he could be up for an hour or so before he'll nap a bit.
We are on the same boat! So crazy!!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search