scratch mittens

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Sherry777
  • 1 Post By one.juniper
  • 1 Post By jillviray
  • 1 Post By Jessimaaka
  • 1 Post By K.A.T

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 7th, 2012, 12:23 PM
acchickpea's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So I know every baby is different but I'm just curious if any of you mamas still have your baby wear scratch mittens.. I still have Leo wearing them because he scratches his face like crazy... I tried a few days to take them off for a few and he scratched his face....
How do you build up the curage to have their hands exposed to learn how things feel?

By the way ladies... I'm back at work now.... but as odd as it sounds I can chat with you ladies more often
November 7th, 2012, 12:26 PM
tryingfornumber1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I never used them. Mikayla will dig her face once in awhile, but it's not worth sticking her hand in those things to stop a small scratch. She's grabbing things and playing with toys, so yea...would make no sense at all.
November 7th, 2012, 12:47 PM
Mom2JDub's Avatar (formerly junie22)
I only put them on at night because he really digs into his face when he's waking up. I leave them off during the day though. I also really like the PiyoPiyo baby nails scissors. I can get his nails trimmed a lot better than with clippers or a file. His nails grow really fast though.

Thanks, *Kiliki*, for the perfect siggy!

Click here to read Jack's baby journal.
November 7th, 2012, 01:18 PM
TKbunny's Avatar Elias's slave..err..Mommy
I stopped using them a while back because he wanted to feel things and self sooth. He gets small scratches a lot but they go away fast. At night he's in his swaddle but he's been breaking out the last few nights and today I saw he has lots of little scratches on the side of his head because he always puts his hands up there when waking up. I wish I could stop him from doing it but everyone I ask says they will scratch themselves a lot no matter what so I try not to worry. I trim his nails every few days but it seems like even on days I trim them he still ends up with some scratches No clue what to do.

November 7th, 2012, 02:58 PM
magz88's Avatar First Time Mum
He stopped wearing them after about 3 weeks. I just keep his nails trimmed. If I see a scratch I know it's time to trim them.
November 7th, 2012, 03:43 PM
Sherry777's Avatar Blessed Mommy
Pippa sleeps in hers because if she doesn't, her hands are ice in the morning. The house seems warm enough, but her hands get cold easily. Sometimes, if she is kneading my breast while nursing, I will slip one of them on her hands to keep from getting scratches on my nipple.

For those that mastered trimming nails, teach me!
acchickpea likes this.

November 7th, 2012, 05:29 PM
one.juniper's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to one.juniper
I never used scratch mittens for protecting his face, only for keeping is little paws warm and its gotten so cold now that I am using knitted mittens and have basically left the scratch ones behind.

Just keep his nails short. I know it doesn't look pretty when they scratch their faces but I don't think it really does them much harm.
acchickpea likes this.

Pinterest
Flickr
November 7th, 2012, 06:27 PM
Veteran
Just keep his nails trimmed and give him other stuff that diverts his attention.
acchickpea likes this.
November 7th, 2012, 07:27 PM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
Cameron wore scratch mittens rarely for the first week. I just keep his nails trimmed, usually every 3 days or so I trim them!
acchickpea likes this.

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
November 7th, 2012, 08:00 PM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
I trim and/or file weekly. If not, his nails are like tiny blades.
acchickpea likes this.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

November 8th, 2012, 06:17 AM
acchickpea's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry777 View Post
Pippa sleeps in hers because if she doesn't, her hands are ice in the morning. The house seems warm enough, but her hands get cold easily. Sometimes, if she is kneading my breast while nursing, I will slip one of them on her hands to keep from getting scratches on my nipple.

For those that mastered trimming nails, teach me!
I trim Leo's nails when he is sleeping then file edges.... I don't do anything else special...
Even though I trim his nails I feel like he still scratches....
November 8th, 2012, 06:33 AM
Mountain~Mama's Avatar ThePastHasNoPowerOverMe
I've never used scratch mitts.
November 8th, 2012, 07:05 AM
ufmelissa824's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I call Emily Freddy Krueger because no matter how often I file them down (which is probably 5 times a week), they're like claws and they grow really fast. She mostly scratches at her face when she's sleepy so now that I'm swaddling her in the woombie, it's gotten a lot better.

November 8th, 2012, 08:46 AM
afwifey09's Avatar proud momma to Ava Kay
I think I've only used mittens on Ava once and that was because she had a hang nail that got caught on her onesie and tore inward towards her cuticle. I was afraid of it getting worse once I clipped what I could, so she wore them for a couple days until it grew out. I just clip her nails every couple days and it usually takes care of any scratches. She'll get herself every now and then, but they go away quickly.
November 8th, 2012, 01:02 PM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
I've never really used them with any of my kids, they get a few scratches, but nothing major.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search