He won't nurse! HELP!!!

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree9Likes
  • 6 Post By MosaicWife
  • 3 Post By MosaicWife

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 8th, 2012, 09:40 PM
Mega Super Mommy
So about a week ago Taylr switched tuckrs bottles. I was pissed! I was using the platex slow flow murser drop ins. He switched to just standard Madela. Well tuckr doesn't have to work as hard to get the milk from the Madela bottles. I didn't think much of it last night when he refused the boob. He barely nursed at all today and then when he came home from his dads tonight he refused to nurse at all!!! I had to give him a bottle.
It may sound dumb but I feel so robbed :,( I am working 3 jobs. I don't get to see him as much anymore and when I do it's just been so special I nurse him and have those moments together doing something only I can give him. I so upset. All he will do is scream and refuse the boob. So I pumped and gave him fresh boob juice in a bottle and I cried the whole time.
Does anyone have any advice??? Is there anything I can do???!!!!
Please help. I feel like I am losing my little boy :,( :,( :,( :,(

November 9th, 2012, 01:30 AM
1fabulousfem's Avatar Mommy to Finn + 1!
I am so sorry you are going through this. Finn went on a nursing strike a few weeks back as well. The good news is, he took the boob back.
Did you try laying down to nurse him. He will get sleepy and go back to what he knows. It worked for us after a few tries and Finn was practically spitting out my boob!
Let me know how it goes!

November 9th, 2012, 04:47 AM
MosaicWife's Avatar Missa
Random nursing strikes are normal. Just keep offering him the boob. I wouldn't give him a bottle at all when you are around, that just defeats the purpose. I agree with Melanie about lying down. Another thing is at he gets older he's going to do things like become distracted and want to look around or just smile and talk to you. Doesn't mean he doesn't want to nurse. Just think of a baby like a ferret. They get distracted by everything. Try to nurse in a quiet room if you notice him becoming distracted. But bottom line this will pass. Don't worry, he's not ready to wean I promise.

November 9th, 2012, 05:16 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I've tried nursing him every which way. Standing, sitting, lying down, watching tv, in a silent room, rocking him, sitting still. Nothing worked. It's not like just wanting to look around and watch tv and jus have another interest at that moment, he screams bloody murder. He throws his head and pushes me away and screams :,( it's so disheartening. Finally I break down because I know he's starving and needs to eat :/ so I give him a bottle. Can it be that he prefers the bottle over boob now? I keep trying to nurse him as usual.

November 9th, 2012, 05:22 AM
Hmmmm. Is he crying when you lay him down for anything or just to nurse? I'm just asking to rule out ear infection. But if it's just when nursing then just keep offering the boob. I repeat, no bottle. Not from you. He'll nurse when he gets hungry enough. Yes the bottle is easier so he might be pissed off that he has to work at it but he'll get over it. Just keep offering. He won't starve.
therevslady, AllyssaM and Cylence like this.

November 9th, 2012, 05:29 AM
ufmelissa824's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Like the others have said, nursing strikes are pretty common and it doesn't mean he won't find his way back to the boob. We've given Emily Medela bottles, Avent bottles and Playtex nursers but she'll still take BFing over FFing. Even though the bottle is easier for the baby to nurse, I think our milk is a lot tastier

Could it possibly be something you ate? I know one time I had something with onions and garlic (I know, I wasn't thinking) and she kind of turned up her nose and unlatched and didn't really want to take the boob.

November 9th, 2012, 05:33 AM
https://www.llli.org/faq/strike.html

Surviving A Nursing (Breastfeeding) Strike

Hope these help and I hope Tuckr gets over his strike soon. I know it can be very hard to deal with.

November 9th, 2012, 05:36 AM
irunpink's Avatar Sophie
Sorry you're going through this! This happened very briefly with my first when I used the bottle in the beginning when I was sore, but she eventually came back to the boob for comfort. This may sound strange but my first also hated the car seat so, crazy as it sounds I nursed her while she was in her car seat to comfort her while dh drove. I know u mentioned he didn't like the car seat in another post so maybe you can try that if nothing else works, so he associates I with being comforted? Good luck!

Thank you, *Kiliki*, for my sweet siggy!

November 9th, 2012, 05:42 AM
Corrupt's Avatar Happy Mama
I might add to make sure he's not starving when you try to nurse him - they have no patience on empty tummies. I've never been through a nursing strike but I'm sure it's very difficult. Keep trying and I hope you guys get over the hump soon
November 9th, 2012, 06:44 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
Sorry this is happening Maddie. I know it's annoying when an ex does things differently to you. Never had the issue with nursing because my son was formula fed and we split up when he was 2 anyway, but have certainly had this issue over discipline and we went thru a phase of me having to rule with an iron rod every Sunday and I used to cry my heart out because it seemed like I was being the bad guy and not really enjoying my son.

I think the ladies have given you some wonderful advice and I truly hope this works. My only suggestion would be to give him formula if you have to give in to giving a bottle in the hope that if he prefers your breast milk he will soon go back to taking the boob. But I don't 100% know that that would work and it may just be a stupid suggestion. I'd listen more to Missa and Melissa and the other ladies who know tons about BFing. Hope it improves sweet.

November 9th, 2012, 07:33 AM
one.juniper's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to one.juniper
I ebf and have only given Ozzy a bottle twice, but I would say about 3 times a week we go through something like you are describing - he's acting hungry but as soon as I sit down and put him in a position to nurse he starts losing it, screaming and crying hysterically, won't latch, pushes away from my breast. It is ALWAYS in the evenings. When this happens I stop trying to nurse him and try to get him to settle down. If he settles we go play with a few toys and if he doesn't then I just carry him around until he's calmer. Once he's relaxed I try again. I believe that he is overtired and frustrated and doesn't want to work for the milk.

If I were you I wouldn't give up if it means that much to you. He won't starve to death, if he refuses the boob I would wait a bit and try again - don't just immediately offer the bottle as the solution because it won't fix the problem.

Pinterest
Flickr
November 9th, 2012, 11:40 AM
ufmelissa824's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by one.juniper View Post
I ebf and have only given Ozzy a bottle twice, but I would say about 3 times a week we go through something like you are describing - he's acting hungry but as soon as I sit down and put him in a position to nurse he starts losing it, screaming and crying hysterically, won't latch, pushes away from my breast. It is ALWAYS in the evenings. When this happens I stop trying to nurse him and try to get him to settle down. If he settles we go play with a few toys and if he doesn't then I just carry him around until he's calmer. Once he's relaxed I try again. I believe that he is overtired and frustrated and doesn't want to work for the milk.

If I were you I wouldn't give up if it means that much to you. He won't starve to death, if he refuses the boob I would wait a bit and try again - don't just immediately offer the bottle as the solution because it won't fix the problem.
Come to think of it...we've gone through that too where Emily will get so worked up either from being really hungry or overly tired and she'll push away and act like she doesn't want it. I soothe her and get her to calm down and when she's happy again, she'll give in to nursing.

November 9th, 2012, 11:59 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I started thinking about what I could have eaten that he might not like. The only thing I can think of is I ate some soup my mom made and it had tomatoes and basil and oregano in it. I know some of the herb can stunt my milk so I rarely eat them but the soup was really good. Is it possible those things could have made him dislike the taste? I rarely eat tomatoes either. I'm wondering if yhat could be it???

To answer the ear infraction question, he only screams when I lay him down to nurse. Any other time he's fine. He may fuss and want to be held but he doesn't scream.

I got him to nurse a little this morning and my mom bottle fed him fine wjile i was at work. She mixed a little formula in with his breast milk to supplement because I have had a hard time keeping up the last few days. He did ok but she mentioned that yesterday evening (after I ate the soup) he had a hard time with his bottle. Super hungry but acted like he didn't like it.

Thank you so much for all the advice!!! Once again I feel so blessed to have such lovely ladies to turn to when it comes to this. I don't have anykne I know who breastfed their kids that I can even ask questions or advice. My mom, my grandma, my great grandma, my aunts all of them bottle fed. I'm the first to try to EBF. In general he is but today and tomorrow he will have a little supplementing.
So thank you all so much again. I feel better knowing that he will come around and it could just e something simple.

November 9th, 2012, 02:33 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Could totally be the basil. It's on the "avoid" list because the flavor ends up very strong in bm. That said, I still eat basil without it seeming to bother Vincent. Hard to say unless you test the theory, which might not be fun.

November 9th, 2012, 03:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Lol I don't think I want to test that theory I think perhaps ill just avoid those ingredients!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search