Constipation?

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 11th, 2012, 10:58 AM
GeekLover11's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Declan hasn't had a BM since Friday morning. I know it can be normal not to have one everyday, especially in BF babies. But he was having about 3-5 in a 24 hour period, now nothing. He is visibly uncomfortable and looks like he is trying so hard to go. He is also passing a good amount of gas.

I've tried bicycle legs, a warm bath and a tummy massage. No results.

Anyone have any suggestions? I figured to ask here first before calling the pediatrician.

Thank you

Ashley
Ashley
November 11th, 2012, 12:42 PM
Blessed Mommy Of 5's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Most likely Declan is probably not constipated. Constipation is extremely rare in breastfed babies. Having a baby that isn't as regular as he used to be can be worrying. After about six weeks it is normal for a baby to switch from several poos a day to a larger one every few days. Up to fourteen days is normal. Constipated stools will be hard dry pellets. If his poo, even if it isn't much, is soft, he's not constipated.

You may just need to treat his gassiness if since he is visibly uncomfortable. You could try gas drops. You might also want to look into your diet. That is most likely what is causing the gas. You may have to cut out some foods to see if it makes things better.

You are already doing the bicycle legs, warm baths, massages, all of those are what I would have suggested. Maybe try warm compresses.

November 11th, 2012, 05:55 PM
smashley8's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I wouldn't worry about it at all! BF babies can definitely go a while before pooping. Like Michelle said, if when he finally poops it is still soft, he isn't constipated.

November 11th, 2012, 07:08 PM
AmyT's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've been dealing with the same exact issues with Abbie...only difference is now she has stopped gaining weight (or it's super slow gaining). Dr. wants me to supplement with formula after every feeding. Since we have started giving formula (a couple days ago) she's now pooping at least once a day again And even though she is still dealing with some gassiness, it has gotten somewhat better. I hope Declan starts to feel better soon, and you get it all worked out!

Oh yeah, and when Abbie did go it was still soft, so definately not constipation.

November 11th, 2012, 08:38 PM
GeekLover11's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks ladies!

Well he finally went, twice this evening. They were both definitely soft, but not that same liquidly consistency. Like more solid, but still soft and green Gross I know..

I don't know what is going on. He is eating like a champ and now is a whole lot happier now that he finally went. I'm just going to keep an eye on it. He sees the pediatrician next week, so I will bring it up.

Ashley
Ashley
November 11th, 2012, 10:30 PM
writerchick324's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Elliott was very fussy earlier and hadn't pooped in over a day, so I knew that was the problem. He was not that gassy and he is not a fussy baby! I gave him two ounces-one of warm water then put some apple juice from the fridge in it (so watered down apple juice) and he went about 8 minutes later. He even smiled afterwards, lol so you could tell that was the issue (and it was soft too). I think sometime he just has a hard time going, even though it is liquid, and he has to push really hard to get it out!

Now, he is sleeping and zonked out, when before, he kept waking up screaming. Warm apple juice helps, just don't want to do it too often since their kidneys are not made to digest large amounts of water/clear fluid like that yet.

Elliott David: 9/13/12, 5:36pm, 8lbs15oz, 20 1/2" long!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search