Self soothing?

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By GeekLover11
  • 3 Post By GeekLover11

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 25th, 2012, 11:58 AM
GeekLover11's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am consumed with Declan's sleep habits these past few days. When he had his two month checkup on Monday, the doctor recommended getting him used to his crib for sleeping. Especially because he is getting too big for his bassinet and because I will be going back to work in January. Right now he is in our room in his bassinet. I am trying to transition him to his crib just for naps and he is hating it. But I can't tell if he hates the crib or hates that I am not rocking him or nursing him into dream land.

Now I have asked before where your baby is sleeping. But what I want to know now is how your baby does falling asleep on his/her own? Decłan really seems to depend on nursing or being rocked to sleep. I do not want to create bad habits, especially when I won't be able to be there to nurse him or rock him. But I hate letting him cry it out. Not a debate and no judgement on others if that works for you.

So, how does your baby do with self soothing?

Any tips or ideas?

Ashley
Ashley
November 25th, 2012, 12:33 PM
smashley8's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Remy hasn't had to self soothe really because he seems to be pretty good at falling asleep on his own, although I DO rock him/hold him a little bit before he goes to sleep. Whenever I put him into his bassinet though, he is still in that REM period where he is easily woken. I will say though that if he didn't have his pacifier, we would have many more issues! I haven't even attempted his crib yet, I was dreading the transition to bassinet and that went really well so I'm hoping the crib is just as easy.

Maybe during the day you could have him fall asleep wherever he is most comfortable, and then once he is in deep sleep put him into his crib? Maybe you have already tried that. I have also heard of putting whatever they're sleeping in into their bedroom so they get used to the surroundings.

November 25th, 2012, 02:16 PM
Risa's Avatar Veteran
My pediatrician at our 2 month appointment also said the baby should be able to self soothe. He specifically said to let the baby cry. I had been researching and reading so much stuff about sleep that I was making myself crazy, so I decided to just go with the doctor. We started putting Sammy down awake at bedtime in his crib instead of rocking to sleep. He did cry, but not as much as I had thought. But even with a small amount of crying it is still hard. Now it is about 10 days later and he is going down awake without crying. I didn't anticipate this, but it turns out that after falling asleep on his own he has slept through the night every night but one (8-9 hours). The one where he woke up I don't think he had eaten as much during the day.

He still does naps in his swing, although now I can put him down awake for those too. He naps better in the swing. He usually wakes up after about 30 min, but in the swing he falls back asleep and sleeps for about 2 hours. He doesn't do that in the crib, he wakes up and cries.

Could you maybe take the transition in stages, and continue to nurse and rock him, but put him in the crib? (Or to go even slower, put the bassinet in the nursery and put him in that so he get used to being in a room alone, then put him in the crib) Then when he is used to the crib wean off the nursing and rocking? It may be the change from the bassinet along with the change of how he is falling asleep is alot at once.

November 25th, 2012, 03:05 PM
Today was the first day that we tried the crib. He cried for about 15 minutes. I went upstairs, picked him up and rocked him awhile in the glider. When he calmed down, he was drowsy but still awake. I put him back in the crib and he started to cry again, but I patted his side just a little for a minute. Just a reassurance that I was still there. He slept for about an hour. So definitely an improvement over the last few times we tried to have him sleep in the crib last month.

I think I am going to try let him cry it out when falling asleep. I did it today and it really was not that bad. Once he knew that I was still there, he fell asleep just fine and he woke up so happy. This was the first time I did not have to spend 20 minutes rocking/nursing to get him to sleep. So I am definitely encouraged, even though it was really hard.
Risa likes this.

Ashley
Ashley
November 25th, 2012, 05:10 PM
writerchick324's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Elliott self soothes. I had a rough time in the beginning-he did not want to sleep ANYWHERE. And we used a binky, which kept falling out of his mouth, wakinghim up and causing him to start crying again due to wanting his bink.

What helped was his "colors". We have this toy (hand me down)

Fisher-Price Waterfall Soother : Target

He loves to look at it because the characters move and interchanging colors glow. It distracts him. And it has different volumes. I would lay him down asleep, have this hooked to the crib, put on the music on light and he would hear that while sleeping. Soon, I was able to put it on while he was sleepy, and he would look at the colors and know the music means sleepy time.

Also, we had to let him cry it out like twice, for about 15 minutes, then he was out. We imply the 5-7 min rule. Let him fuss/cry fo 5-7 minutes in the middle of the night. Many times, he puts himself right back to sleep for another hour or two, then cries and gets louder, which means he is awake.

Cry it out does work, in my opinion. We also took away his bink and he sleeps much better without it. 10 1/2 hours last night! In his crib!

Elliott David: 9/13/12, 5:36pm, 8lbs15oz, 20 1/2" long!

November 25th, 2012, 06:39 PM
Risa's Avatar Veteran
Sam also likes to look at lights when he falls asleep. We had a mobile that he liked but it didn't stay on long enough, so I got this sound machine and projector. I love it! It can have a timer or not. It projects onto the ceiling, and the lights/pictures move. There are three different disks with different pictures. My favorite thing is that it can be voice activated, so it automatically turns on if he cries! I think sometimes he just needs to lay still for long enough to fall asleep, so looking at this helps keep him still long enough to fall asleep! We use the ocean noise at bedtime.

Also, I have seen the fisher price soothers at consignment stores around here (Virginia). They usually have a bunch for about $10, but they are the older style.

November 25th, 2012, 07:59 PM
Well, night one and so far so good. I gave Declan a bath around 8 and DH fed him and he was super drowsy. So at 9, DH put him in his crib and shut the door. Declan cried for 15 minutes and then fell asleep.

Its now 11 and he is still sleeping, knock on wood. So I think we are on the right track.

Ashley
Ashley
November 26th, 2012, 04:11 AM
3Sapphires's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
linc is very good at drifting off on his own, we started "sleep training" at about 2 weeks old, he would only cry for about 5-10 min.

with my older kids we didn't do this and I always rocked/nursed them to sleep and it was awful at 8 months old getting them to go to sleep on their own.

FF Chart**CrazyAmiCrochet**
Missing Our Angels gone too soon 6/5/10 & 2/19/14
Adam Michael 9/22/06 (c-section)~Nathan Joseph 9/4/08 (VBAC)~Lincoln Thomas 9/5/12 (VBAC)

November 26th, 2012, 05:57 AM
Blessed Mommy Of 5's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Excellent tips, ladies! Kyah either nurses to sleep, gets rocked/bounced to sleep, or falls asleep in my arms

I'm no help!

November 26th, 2012, 09:49 AM
SabrinaH's Avatar Pregnant with #1!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessed Mommy Of 5 View Post
Excellent tips, ladies! Kyah either nurses to sleep, gets rocked/bounced to sleep, or falls asleep in my arms

I'm no help!
We do the same with Scarlett. She sleeps 9.5 hours, nurses, then goes back to sleep for 2.5 hours so I can't complain.

November 26th, 2012, 11:28 AM
destiny hope's Avatar Veteran
Alex has always been good at falling to sleep on his own I have never really rocked him to sleep i will at times just lay him beside me or just lay him in his bassinet. He is sleeping from 10:00pm-8:00am so I have no reason to complain. He is also good for his naps. I am hoping that when we move this weekend and I transition him to his crib that it doesn't mess with the good things we have going right now. I never believed in the cry out method so I started from day one not rocking him to sleep which was hard at times cause I could hold him forever sometime lol. Hope you find what works.
November 26th, 2012, 11:40 AM
Well, last night went pretty good. Declan slept from 915-1245. Woke up and just needed some reassurance that I was there. Fell asleep on his own with zero crying and slept from 1255-445. He woke for a feeding at 445 and fell asleep on his own at 5 until 730. I was feeling lazy so I kept him in bed with me and did a feeding there. He fell asleep nursing until 915.

So definitely better than I expected I just have to make sure he is drowsy enough to not keep himself awake.

Ashley
Ashley
November 26th, 2012, 12:02 PM
Frugile Wife
Send a message via Yahoo to jennylynnf
im not opting for self soothing just yet she just turned 3 months 14 weeks. i rock her n hold her while napping during the day and at night she goes to to sleep on her own in her crib, i dont let her cry, but I put her back down if I need to soothe her and shes knows at night shes sleeps in her crib. as soon as she falls asleep on my arms if she does, I go lay her down.

Jessica Wearing Her SQUISHY BUM'S Cloth Diaper made by mommy
Facebook.com/Squishybums
November 26th, 2012, 12:57 PM
jojo2bee's Avatar Matthew's Mommy!
I change Matthew's butt then put lotion on him and put him in a sleeper, everyother day he gets a bath first, then I nurse him and we put him in his swaddler and in hi bassinet. he usually goes right to sleep. Now were doing the same and trying to get him to go to sleep before 2 am lol and he did great last night! next step is getting him to sleep in his crib... he has naped in it before but not slept at night yet. I will start putting him in there and seeing how he does problay within the next 2 weeks, I wanted to keep him in our room in his bassinet for 3 month so almost there!

November 28th, 2012, 06:48 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't plan on moving him to the crib until he can roll over, and will be too big for the rock&play. He is a really good night sleeper though, so hopefully that stays for the crib too.
This new doc I switched to doesn't push self soothing, but recommends laying baby down while they are sleepy, but still awake. I have always done that except for when he was real young and would fall into a deep sleep just from nursing.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search