Cradle Cap

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 26th, 2012, 05:17 AM
Starstrydergrrl's Avatar Super Mommy
Bah

I didn't think that's what it was but I can't see what else it is.

It honestly looks like she is unable to shed the top layer of skin so it kept "piling" up. *sigh* I guess count my blessings that it doesn't stand out and shout at you, no crusty yellow ickiness. Just annoying scales.

November 26th, 2012, 05:37 AM
Super Mommy
My first had cradle cap REALLY bad. For a temporary fix you can use baby oil and a baby comb or brush to remove some and when he is older you can use selsun blue (it has a strong smell and I worried about it getting into his eyes so I didn't use it until he was a lot older even thought the ped told me I could use it sooner). It can come back no matter what you use. My oldest still has patches that come and go and the ped told me that that can happen.

I'm glad Mika doesn't have it too bad though and that it's not too noticeable!

November 26th, 2012, 05:53 AM
Blessed Mommy Of 5's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree with Kim. Definitely try baby oil. I have always heard it works wonders with cradle cap. I hope it clears up soon

November 26th, 2012, 06:14 AM
3Sapphires's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Linc is my only baby that hasn't had a lot of issue with cradle cap.

with my boys, I would rub oil on the head, let it sit for a few minutes, then brush the head really well, then wash.

when Adam was about 3 months the pedi told me we coudl do selsun blue once a week.

FF Chart**CrazyAmiCrochet**

Missing Our Angels gone too soon 6/5/10 & 2/19/14
Adam Michael 9/22/06 (c-section)~Nathan Joseph 9/4/08 (VBAC)~Lincoln Thomas 9/5/12 (VBAC)

November 26th, 2012, 07:20 AM
Thanks ladies I will give the baby oil a chance tonight. I realised what the cause could have been as well...stupid J&J no tears. We used it until hubby said his hands got so dry after using it that he got little cracks between his fingers. If it dries out a grown up like that I can totally see why her scalp is so dry too.

November 26th, 2012, 10:47 AM
MrsB1227's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Dylan had a mild case of cradle cap like you describe. Mustela newborn foam shampoo worked really well. It's especially made for cradle cap.
November 26th, 2012, 12:18 PM
Risa's Avatar Veteran
Sammy was dry at his 2 month visit and the doc said to not wash his head with shampoo. He is starting to get it anyway now, so I've been doing the baby oil. I bought some of the gentle naturals cradle cap stuff today to try.

November 27th, 2012, 12:07 AM
LuxRuin's Avatar Veteran
How often are you bathing? I know that bathing too often strips the necessary oils on baby's scalp so they overproduce to compensate and it causes cradlecap.

Try only washing Mika's hair once a week but the rest of her body as often as you'd like. I bet it clears up quicker than you would expect Good luck!

-Sarah

DD #1: 13yo
DS #1: 10yo
DD #2: 5 yo
DS #2: Born September 22, 2012
November 27th, 2012, 12:20 AM
Ah, that's a good idea...I have been washing her hair every other day when she gets a bath.

November 27th, 2012, 08:20 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Olive oil works better than baby oil Bella had it bad but Jackson only has two small patches on his head.

November 27th, 2012, 04:04 PM
Risa's Avatar Veteran
The cradle cap stuff I bought seems less oily but didn't work any better than the baby oil. I might try olive oil next.

November 27th, 2012, 05:58 PM
smashley8's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Remy has had really dry scalp and forehead too. The other night I washed his head and gently scrubbed some of the skin off with a baby brush. Then I put baby Aquaphor on his forehead and it helped tremendously. He still has a lot of dryness on his scalp but it's not really noticeable.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search