Anyone else having a hard time after CT shootings?

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mountain~Mama

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 16th, 2012, 10:36 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I am still really freaked out and scared and a bit traumatized by the shootings in CT. I am wondering if there are other mamas still worrying and thinking about this a bit too much, or am I experiencing post-traumatic stress disorder (I lost my father in a very tragic ordeal and every time something random and tragic happens, it seems to hit me a bit harder than most other people).

Thoughts? Am I the only one? I just feel really sad and powerless as a parent. Our entire mission in life now is to try to protect them and it seems impossible these days. Schools are not safe. You have to have a PhD in Chemistry to understand the harm in chemicals and groceries, and spend tons of money to try to feed them with natural organic products. You can't let them play at the playground by themselves and you constantly hear about pedophiles and creeps and home invasions. You worry to death about vaccines and Austism. You question the right activities and whether they're getting enough intellectual play and hitting their milestones. In Atlanta and other major cities, you have to fight for spots in good schools, and even then you question the choices and how to pay for it all.

....overwhelming!! It just feels very hard to think about doing this for 18 more years (and more) for both kiddos.....hopefully these feelings will pass soon. I feel so sad!!

Last edited by 20ghanover; December 16th, 2012 at 11:10 AM.
December 16th, 2012, 10:50 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I've been crying every since it happened. I'm a school teacher. When I found out, I looked at my students. They were happily enjoying doing their work while listening to Christmas music. I felt so protective over them at that moment. I was thinking what I would do if it happened at out school. Where would I hide them so they are safe? It broke my h eart to think any harm could come to my students. Then I think of those poor, innocent babies. They must of been so scared. Their poor families. It is just all so sad.

Thank you Vicki for my wonderful siggy.

December 16th, 2012, 12:39 PM
MosaicWife's Avatar Missa
*raises hand* I was crying about it early this morning while holding Paxton. Of course I am super sick too so that doesn't help. Doc is supposed to be going back to school tomorrow and tuesday before getting out for winter break but he is sick so I'm keeping him home. And I am very happy about that. Poor kid is miserable but it couldn't have happened at a better time so I have an excuse to keep him with me.

December 16th, 2012, 12:44 PM
AllyssaM's Avatar Emmersyns Mommah
You are not alone. We're having this same discussion in my Mar 2010 PR on facebook. A lot of us are still struggling.

I went to Target last night around 7pm with Adalyn and was extremely anxious the entire time - I almost just came home but I needed a few things. I've never gotten in & out of Target so fast.

December 16th, 2012, 05:47 PM
Cylence's Avatar I'm a Toys 'R Us kid
It's definitely overwhelming. I can only teach Taryn how to protect herself & pray that it does her some good.
December 16th, 2012, 06:26 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks ladies. Good to know (I suppose) that others are still struggling, although I of course wasn't HOPING you were, you know what i mean!!

It was tough to put my 2 year old in bed tonight knowing I won't see him tomorrow before I go to work
December 16th, 2012, 07:56 PM
HippieLove's Avatar Modern Day Brady Bunch
Send a message via MSN to HippieLove
I get very overwhelmed by too, and moments like what happened on Friday just shocks you into reality, reminding us how fragile life is.

Emma, girlfriend of Loz, future step-mama to J (15) and K (10), Mama to Jaelah (8), Oliver (6), Mianna (4) and Harper (2),

December 17th, 2012, 05:37 AM
Mountain~Mama's Avatar ThePastHasNoPowerOverMe
Although I think it's horribly sad what happened and I just can not fathom what all those families are going through, it hasn't caused any more fear than i normally have about my kids. It was a random thing and the chances of it happening at the school my kids go to is very slim.

That said I went to Columbine (before the shootings) so that really hit home. I knew Mr Sanders, who was a teacher that was killed. The school Audrey goes to has had a classroom taken hostage and a music teacher arrested for being a sexual predator. (THAT scares more more than some random sicko).

I totally trust Audrey's teachers though and know they would be the same heroes that we saw in Newtown.
Cylence likes this.
December 17th, 2012, 09:41 AM
Super Mommy
I feel so heartbroken for those families. I have a 6 and 7 yr old, the same ages as all of those poor kids. I don't know how I could deal with it.
We live in a very rural area and the town my kids go to school at has a population of 388. This past spring a man tried to grab a young girl my oldest dd age after school one day. Fortunately she was smart and got to a house for help. Everyone knows everyone here, so it is very scary to think things like this could happen in your area.

December 17th, 2012, 09:42 AM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
It scares the hell out of me, and makes me thankful that I'm able to homeschool ( I know that doesn't mean that they're protected by any means) but I know that anxiety is at least lesssened. It's so sad that we have to worry about things like this
December 17th, 2012, 06:34 PM
Mega Super Mommy
i found out today that one of the boys was the son of a man i worked with for many years in NYC. his was the first funeral today. ugggg.....so so heartbroken. i was crying too much when i didn't know anyone affected....and now.!!!!!
December 18th, 2012, 08:02 AM
Super Mommy
Sending a big HUG to you.

December 18th, 2012, 04:18 PM
irunpink's Avatar Sophie
Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that . Yes, I keep thinking about it and can't get it out of my head. It's just now sinking in.

Thank you, *Kiliki*, for my sweet siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search