Nap Time Challenges

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 22nd, 2012, 11:48 AM
My LO is a great night-time sleeper - always has been. But getting her to nap during the day is, well, nearly impossible. She goes down at night "drowsy but awake" and usually falls to sleep on her own within just a few minutes, almost always without any crying at all.

But during the day, I just don't know what to do! I've gotten to the point where I don't even try - I just go for a walk around the time when I know she'll get tired so she'll fall asleep in the stroller, or I'll just let her sleep in my lap. I know that if I try to put her down, even if she's 100% asleep, she'll wake up and cry and then she's not getting the sleep she needs. And if I put her down awake, she'll SCREAM to no end! I've let her cry for as long as 15 minutes, and she screams the whole time and even cries so much that she starts choking and coughing, and it's very scary. She's even gotten herself contorted into some dangerous positions in her crib when I put her down. So most of the time, it's just easier to let her sleep on me or take her for a walk so she can nap in her stroller.

But doing it the way I'm doing it now, I'm not getting anything done during the day, and I'm not setting a very good pattern for later on once she's a toddler. But I don't like interrupting her sleep (in my lap) just for her to wake up and not get the sleep she needs. She needs to sleep, and if that means sleeping in my lap so her sleep isn't interrupted, then so be it. But I know that I can't continue to do it this way. I need a better solution that doesn't involve her losing sleep, or me holding her while she sleeps. Thanks in advance.
December 22nd, 2012, 10:11 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I am very sorry this is so hard on you. A friend of mine has the same problem and is stressing out as much as you. She has recently come up with an idea of rocking her LO to sleep with a paci and a blanket around the baby. Her only way before was to nurse her daughter to sleep, but she realized it has been becoming a bad habit and wont work any more when she is out as her little one is becoming very curious. The blanket helps keeping heat on the baby when she transfers her into the crib. She will be cutting the rocking time and placing her baby in the crib tired but awake, but she knows it will take a while to stop a habit of being nursed to sleep.
Is her room as dark ( or nearly as dark ) for a nap time? They say baby should sleep in a day light but that won't always work that way. We need to create sleep friendly environment for them to sleep.
I put my LO in a sleep sack, it is quite dark in his room, we have a sound machine to cut out any noise. I don't think my exact ways will work for you, but I am still giving you an idea of what has worked for me. I think the blanket could work for you though.
Don't worry about the toddlerhood at this moment. It is way too far away. She needs sleep and you have been finding ways to get her to sleep for now and this is what matters as she needs sleep for her growth. Have you read on Dr Sears sleep approach? It is a more gentle way that could also work in your situation.
Best of luck. Babies get complicated sometimes. I hope you find your way.

Thanks Claire1979 for my awesome siggy.

Last edited by Kumii; December 22nd, 2012 at 10:14 PM.
December 26th, 2012, 08:32 AM
Christin's Avatar William's Mommy
If losing heat is part of the problem, I use a heating blanket in his crib about 15-20 minutes on high before I put him down and then remove it when I put him in it. He will stay alseep because the bed is warm and I use a blanket to trap the heat.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search