Solid foods?

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree22Likes
  • 1 Post By Blessed Mommy Of 5
  • 2 Post By 3Sapphires
  • 2 Post By Repti.Mom
  • 2 Post By Jessy_Ree
  • 5 Post By Sagga02
  • 1 Post By curlygirl77
  • 1 Post By smashley8
  • 1 Post By Lyz
  • 1 Post By Angelamomtomany
  • 1 Post By Landyn'sMama
  • 1 Post By Panda
  • 1 Post By SabrinaH
  • 1 Post By amazing_love
  • 1 Post By Stepp_Ann
  • 1 Post By jojo2bee

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 1st, 2013, 11:24 PM
jojo2bee's Avatar Matthew's Mommy!
Matthew is EBF and the past 3-4 weeks has been eating like crazy! he will eat every 45 minutes-2 hours and the longest he goes is when hes naping or sleeping for the night! It has been such a pain having to feed him ALL the time! I read at his age there suposed to eat every 2-3 hours. Hes 3 months 2 weeks and 4 days today so almost 4 months yay! He has also been very interested in watching people eat to. I think he is getting very ready to start solids. I'm just waiting untill he is 4 months and after his dr appt to see what his ped says, no matter what I will start him on solids at 4 month. His ped had said before that she want s to start him on brown rice cereal first then move him into the first foods. I'm also going to make his baby food myself and have the baby bullet that I cant wait to use lol

So I was just wondering where everyone else is at with solids!

Is anyone already feeding baby solids? If so, how is it going?

How lond did you wait or are planning to wait to start solids?

What was or will be babys first foods?

Has baby been sowing signs of being ready to start solids?

Do you or are you planning on making homemade baby food?

If making your own baby food, what do you use to make it?

January 2nd, 2013, 12:04 AM
Blessed Mommy Of 5's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I could basically say "Ditto" to your post! Kyah is doing the same things. DH wants to feed her solids now. Well, actually he has been wanting to feed her solids for some time now. He has given her tastes of foods multiple times, and him and I have been in more than one disagreement over the whole scenario. I know Kyah will be ready for solids very soon, if not now. I won't feed her any until at least 4 months though. I will start her on cereal first. Then we will try out fruits and veggies next. Kyah is extremely interested in the foods e eat and just staring at us while we eat. She nurses what seems like all the time! She has been doing this for a while now too.

Is anyone already feeding baby solids? If so, how is it going?
Not yet

How long did you wait or are planning to wait to start solids?
until she is 4 months old

What was or will be babys first foods?
cereal then fruits and veggies

Has baby been showing signs of being ready to start solids? Yes!

Do you or are you planning on making homemade baby food? I never have before but I am very interested in doing so this time

If making your own baby food, what do you use to make it?
Looking forward to seeing the answers to this question!
jojo2bee likes this.

January 2nd, 2013, 04:26 AM
3Sapphires's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'll be waiting till April, I started that early with my other 2, and there wasn't any reason to. I will be making my own again, but I'm hoping for a short pureed stage.
jojo2bee and curlygirl77 like this.

FF Chart**CrazyAmiCrochet**

Missing Our Angels gone too soon 6/5/10 & 2/19/14
Adam Michael 9/22/06 (c-section)~Nathan Joseph 9/4/08 (VBAC)~Lincoln Thomas 9/5/12 (VBAC)

January 2nd, 2013, 05:43 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Weston is not ready yet. I'll wait til he starts showing interest in food we're eating. No cereal here again, no need for it really. I'll start sweet potatoes, avocado & egg yolks first.

He has had whipped cream off of a finger, but that's the only 'solid' he's had. He chokes even if he accidentally gets a little water in his mouth from bath, so he's nowhere near ready.

January 2nd, 2013, 09:55 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We won't start until at least 6 months with solids..My son is formula fed and is doing fine..He eats every 2 hrs around the clock still.

January 2nd, 2013, 01:19 PM
Sagga02's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Sagga02 Send a message via MSN to Sagga02 Send a message via Yahoo to Sagga02
Showing interest in you eating is COMPLETELY normal and does not mean they are ready to start eating at 4 months old. They are watching you eat, smacking lips, learning. This may be the time if you are not already to have him join you for meals. Sit him up in a highchair, have him hold a baby spoon and be apart of meals times and the routines you will keep. Stomachs are not ready to eat yet and he is getting everything he needs from you even when all you feel like you are doing is feeding him. This to shall pass

www.etsy.com/shop/sagga02
January 2nd, 2013, 02:59 PM
curlygirl77's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Micah is 4 months and has started eating every 1-2 hours around the clock too i am tempted to start her on solids, but i think i am going to hold out for at least another month yet. When i do start, i will be going straight onto fruit and veges. None of my other kids really liked cereal and it doesn't have much nutritional value if you are already ebf. I have always made my own baby food.. nothing special, i just mash it up with a fork
jojo2bee likes this.

My beautiful siggy was made by *bokkechick*

January 2nd, 2013, 06:32 PM
RunningMommyTo5's Avatar Marathoning Mom to 4!
Bailey is very much interested in watching us eat. She opens her mouth as we put food to ours, LOL. All of our boys started oatmeal cereal at 4 months and loved it and then started fruits and veggies at about 5 months. However, I doubt they'll want me to start anything until we figure out what's going on with her. They want me to stick with her being EBF, well and a couple bottles of pumped milk a day, for the time being. They don't even want to risk her being on any kind of formula that may further mess her up at the moment, so I know solids are momentarily out of the question. Once we get some more results back, they may give me the go ahead to start the cereal to try to help getting her weight up, because it's a serious struggle for her little body to put on weight right now. She's still hovering around 11lbs
*~*~ Katie; Mommy to 3 fun-loving boys, one sweet little baby girl, and #5 on the way! *~*~

January 2nd, 2013, 06:44 PM
smashley8's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Right now I'm not planning to start until 6 months, we'll see how it goes. I would really like to try baby led weaning in which case I'll bypass most of the pureed foods.
jojo2bee likes this.

January 3rd, 2013, 04:59 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I already started making Jackson's baby food and it's in the freezer. I buy the ziplock steam bags and will cook his his veggies, then put them in the magic bullet with filtered water and puree until thin and smooth. I buy organic veggies.

I plan to start brown rice cereal at 5 months and then add fruits to it for breakfast.
jojo2bee likes this.

January 3rd, 2013, 05:23 AM
Angelamomtomany's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
No plans for solids here until at least 6 months.
jojo2bee likes this.

January 3rd, 2013, 06:11 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I started Cash on rice cereal about a week ago and he is doing fantastic. He is a wonderful sleeper anyway. Before we started cereal, he slept from about 9pm- 5am.. would eat and go back to sleep until about 8. Since starting the cereal, which we've implemented into our bedtime routine, he sleeps from about 9pm- 6am.. then naps from about 7-8 am.. and is up for the day. He only gets about a teaspoon because after cereal he gets a bath then a 4oz bottle (he normally eats a 6oz one) then he goes to bed. I'm not sure the cereal has anything to do with that extra hour of sleep, but he does well with it "chewing" it.. and moving it around his mouth and swallowing. He is a big baby though.. (16.5 lbs at 10 weeks)... I'm only worried about him gaining excess weight.
jojo2bee likes this.

January 3rd, 2013, 05:30 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Is anyone already feeding baby solids? If so, how is it going? Nope

How lond did you wait or are planning to wait to start solids? 6 months (Aden is growth spurting now and make me tempted lol) If Aden starts sitting on his own and showing more signs that he is ready then five months or so.

What was or will be babys first foods? Avocado, banana, and sweet potato are what I want to start with.

Has baby been sowing signs of being ready to start solids? Well kind of he reaches for food off of my plate but only once has he put it to his lips the other times he wanted to play so he is not quite there yet.

Do you or are you planning on making homemade baby food? Yea I am going to make my own baby food got the baby bullet for Christmas and I am excited to use it.

If making your own baby food, what do you use to make it? Baby bullet and either Purified water or Breast milk
jojo2bee likes this.

January 4th, 2013, 05:48 PM
SabrinaH's Avatar Pregnant with #1!
We won't start solids until 6 months. Not sure what we'll start with but I plan on making my own. Scarlett sleeps for 12 hours at night so I'm not worried about that. We'll be skipping cereal.
jojo2bee likes this.

January 5th, 2013, 01:33 PM
amazing_love's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
No I won't start until at least 6 months old, maybe longer. I will leave it up to her and look for the signs that she is ready. My son wasn't ready until around 7 mos and even then he wasn't all that interested until closer to 10 mos. She is definitely not even close to being ready right now and honestly I can't even think of her starting solids yet, she's still my little baby and i'm in no rush

We will skip cereal as I did with my son since it doesn't have much nutritious value. We'll start with veggies and fruits.

I doubt I'll make my own other than using a little bowl and mashing some things. Other than that I find it easier to buy the organic baby jars. I'm lazy and go for convenience, i admit it

I found this on Kellymom and these are the signs i look for personally:
■Baby can sit up well without support.
■Baby has lost the tongue-thrust reflex and does not automatically push solids out of his mouth with his tongue.
■Baby is ready and willing to chew.
■Baby is developing a “pincer” grasp, where he picks up food or other objects between thumb and forefinger. Using the fingers and scraping the food into the palm of the hand (palmar grasp) does not substitute for pincer grasp development.
■Baby is eager to participate in mealtime and may try to grab food and put it in his mouth.
jojo2bee likes this.

January 16th, 2013, 02:09 PM
Super Mommy
We started Brady on a little bit of cereal mixed with BM at his first and last feeding of the day. He does great with it. We started doing this with the ok from the dr. They say when they are eating so many ounces to weight they are ready to be introduced to solids. I no longer have the chart but will see if I can get another copy tomorrow at his appointment if any of you are interested in seeing it.
jojo2bee likes this.
January 16th, 2013, 02:14 PM
jojo2bee's Avatar Matthew's Mommy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepp_Ann View Post
We started Brady on a little bit of cereal mixed with BM at his first and last feeding of the day. He does great with it. We started doing this with the ok from the dr. They say when they are eating so many ounces to weight they are ready to be introduced to solids. I no longer have the chart but will see if I can get another copy tomorrow at his appointment if any of you are interested in seeing it.
I'm courious to see this chart! Share it i you get another copy! thanks!
Stepp_Ann likes this.

January 16th, 2013, 05:04 PM
GeekLover11's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We haven't started Declan on any solids as of yet. He has his 4 month checkup on Monday so I am curious to see what they say about the introduction to solids

Ashley
Ashley

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search