Questions about feeding baby solids...

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 15th, 2013, 10:39 PM
Blessed Mommy Of 5's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think Kyah is ready to start solids and I am a bit clueless. It has been years since I have started a baby on solids so I don't remember everything. After baby Kyah my next youngest is 10. If you have started solids or if you remember from when your older kids were starting solids please fill me in!

How many times per day do you feed baby solids?

Is baby on any type of solids feeding schedule?

How much does baby eat each time?

If baby is breastfed has your milk supply dropped?

Is baby taking less breast milk/formula since starting solids?

Is anyone feeding baby foods other than "baby food"? If so, what?

If baby doesn't finish their food (like say a container of baby food that maybe baby only ate a few bites from), does it need to be discarded or can it be refrigerated and reused?

January 16th, 2013, 12:50 AM
curlygirl77's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
How many times per day do you feed baby solids? I'm starting out just once a day (dinner time)

Is baby on any type of solids feeding schedule? No

How much does baby eat each time? I have just been sitting Micah at the table at dinner time and giving her a piece of fruit to play with and chew on. I got this little net bag thingy from Babiesrus, you can put a piece of food in and baby cant break off any chunks, but they can gum on it and the food comes out thru the holes. Food is just for fun right now, and she doesn't seem to be swallowing much according to what's in her diapers, but it's a good way to include her at mealtimes and get her tasting some different flavours.

If baby is breastfed has your milk supply dropped? No

Is baby taking less breast milk/formula since starting solids? No

Is anyone feeding baby foods other than "baby food"? If so, what? No, i won't start spoon feeding her baby foods and purees till she's six months, and then i will move her onto table foods when she's ready. I am not planning on giving her the wallpaper paste cereal at all, just fruits and veges.

If baby doesn't finish their food (like say a container of baby food that maybe baby only ate a few bites from), does it need to be discarded or can it be refrigerated and reused? You should put some food from the jar into a bowl. If you feed straight from the jar you need to discard it after the meal, as baby's saliva will have contaminated the food.

My beautiful siggy was made by *bokkechick*

January 16th, 2013, 12:50 AM
curlygirl77's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oops double post!

My beautiful siggy was made by *bokkechick*

Last edited by curlygirl77; January 16th, 2013 at 12:54 AM.
January 16th, 2013, 04:53 AM
3Sapphires's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
How many times per day do you feed baby solids? once or less

Is baby on any type of solids feeding schedule? not yet, still just experimenting

How much does baby eat each time? I've been thawing one cube

If baby is breastfed has your milk supply dropped? no, but I'm actively working to increase it because of his slow gain over the last 2 months.

Is baby taking less breast milk/formula since starting solids? no

Is anyone feeding baby foods other than "baby food"? If so, what? well homemade baby food, and a peice of apple once in a while in the mesh feeder thing

If baby doesn't finish their food (like say a container of baby food that maybe baby only ate a few bites from), does it need to be discarded or can it be refrigerated and reused? since I only defrost one ice cube at a time and it is so cheap to make I just chuck whatever is left.

FF Chart**CrazyAmiCrochet**

Missing Our Angels gone too soon 6/5/10 & 2/19/14
Adam Michael 9/22/06 (c-section)~Nathan Joseph 9/4/08 (VBAC)~Lincoln Thomas 9/5/12 (VBAC)

January 16th, 2013, 06:29 AM
Blessed Mommy Of 5's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You both are using this mesh feeder thing...I have never heard of it! It is definitely something I am interested in getting. Anyone have a link to one?

January 16th, 2013, 09:10 AM
writerchick324's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Michelle, : Mesh Feeder

To start, I want to say that we are very laid back parents! We don't follow all the guidelines or everything to a T, so this info from me may not be helpful to anyone else

We give Elliott baby food here and there. We got the okay to start per his Ped, and he got some fruits for Christmas. He wasn't too sure in the beginning but by the third time of trying it, he leans forward towards the spoon with his mouth open. I have only given him the little clear plastic containers (i'm out, so unsure of the brand) and he normally eats a whole one. (We do one a day, every other day or whenever we want to try it with him. We didn't start a routine or anything, and I don't want all his family to now feed him solids when we visit or they babysit. ) I then offer him a bottle. Sometimes he will only eat 1oz, sometimes 3, and the other morning when he woke up, he ate a whole container and a whole 6oz bottle! So it varies with him. His ped said to do rice cereal last due to him having a BM once a day from being on Alimentum to avoid constipation.

I personally don't have a problem with putting the baby food in the fridge. I know he'd finish the rest the same day. I do the same thing with his formula. They say to toss it if the babies mouth goes on the bottle, but we still refrigerate leftovers over 2oz but follow the 24 hour rule. Normally he eats the leftovers of that the next feeding (in 3 hours). If it goes till the evening due to me forgetting it's in the fridge, I dump it. I would probably go till the next day on baby food within that 24 hour window, but even that is iffy. I think I would just feed him the rest the next feeding.

We also let him taste our food sometimes. He has even had a lick of venison stew juice/gravy I don't give too much because I don't want to throw his sodium off, or anything like that.

Elliott David: 9/13/12, 5:36pm, 8lbs15oz, 20 1/2" long!

January 16th, 2013, 11:44 AM
3Sapphires's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Amazon.com: Munchkin 2 Pack Fresh Food Feeder, Colors May Vary: Baby

just watch what you put in them - banana is near impossible to clean out of the mesh

FF Chart**CrazyAmiCrochet**

Missing Our Angels gone too soon 6/5/10 & 2/19/14
Adam Michael 9/22/06 (c-section)~Nathan Joseph 9/4/08 (VBAC)~Lincoln Thomas 9/5/12 (VBAC)

January 16th, 2013, 01:20 PM
jojo2bee's Avatar Matthew's Mommy!
I have the mess feeder as well but havent used it yet, I was waiting untill he was a bit older but now I just want to wait untill I feed him the puree version of food to make sure he dosent have allergies first.

another thing that the mesh feeders are great for, my friend does thins with her daughter who is 6 months old now. but when baby is teething, freeze some breastmilk cubes in an ice tray and put a cube or two in the mess feeder and they love it. its cool and a familiar taste and helps soothe with teething.

Also for the first year, breastmilk/formula is the primary source of nutrition for babies. solid foods just 'complement' the breastmilk/formula. So make sure baby is still nursing lots and getting plenty of bottles.

How many times per day do you feed baby solids? twice, in the late morning and afternoon

Is baby on any type of solids feeding schedule? sort of, I like to feed him between 10-11 m for the frst feeding then the second between 6-7pm

How much does baby eat each time? between half and the whole jar (full is 2 oz)

If baby is breastfed has your milk supply dropped? not since starting solids. your milk supply shouldnt 'drop' untill baby is around 10 months old, thats when they start taking more solids as nutrition and less breastmilk/formula

Is baby taking less breast milk/formula since starting solids? no but now hes seems 'fuller' during the day and isnt eating evry 20 mins anymore and goes about 2-3 hours now between nursing

Is anyone feeding baby foods other than "baby food"? If so, what? no

If baby doesn't finish their food (like say a container of baby food that maybe baby only ate a few bites from), does it need to be discarded or can it be refrigerated and reused? its actually highy discouraged to 'reuse' the baby food. if the spoon has come in contact with babys mouth and is placed back into the jar of food then its considered 'contaminated' and bacteria will grow in it. if its only going to be like a an hour or two I dont see an issue but if its going to be longer then I would discard it. I make homemade food for Matthew and I have the baby bullet (love it by the way lol) and the date dial cups I just fill it and if he dosent finish it then I just toss it. can always put say half the jar into a bowl and feed then if baby wants more add the rest, so if baby dosent eat it all then you dont have to 'waste' half the jar.

January 16th, 2013, 01:25 PM
jojo2bee's Avatar Matthew's Mommy!
oh I also forgot to add right now hes just eating homemade brown rice cereal but starting tomorrow hopefully he will start eating veggies and fruits. were doing sweet potatos first lol

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search