Baby weight?

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By smashley8
  • 1 Post By Stepp_Ann

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 16th, 2013, 05:17 PM
GeekLover11's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well, Declan just turned 4 months on Sunday. I have been doing the monthly picture and weight thing for awhile now. Well this month he is hovering around 20lbs

Now, he isn't all chunky, he is overall a big boy. He is very long and has his daddy's big head. He is just big. I am getting SO many comments from people about how "big" he is. Such as, "Oh my baby was 20lbs at 10 months." "My granddaughter is 2 and is about 23lbs." "Geez, what are you feeding that kid?" I am trying to just brush it off and not let it bother me but it really is starting to get to me. I feel like I am doing something wrong.

When he was born he was 9lb 6oz, so not even close to being a small baby. He was EBF up until 3 months and was introduced to a bottle of formula at night because it helped him sleep better. Now that I am back at work, he is being bottle fed with about 70% pumped milk and the rest formula. When I am home, he is bf. I am probably just being paranoid about it because there have been so many comments. He is otherwise a very healthy and active baby. I don't feel like he is overeating and he hardly ever comfort feeds anymore.

He has his 4 month check on Monday and I am definitely going to bring it up to the pediatrician. I just need a little reassurance I guess.

Ashley
Ashley
January 16th, 2013, 06:35 PM
smashley8's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh my gosh Ashley, I wouldn't worry about this at ALL! He's only 4 months - it's not like you can make him be more active to lose weight and I would think you'd have to be feeding him around the clock for him to be overeating and even then it would be a huge stretch to say that! A friend of a friend has a baby who is a week younger than Remy, so just turning 3 months old, and he is over 16 pounds and wearing 6-9 month clothes. Every baby is different and I wouldn't let any of those comments get to you. I'm jealous of all those adorable baby rolls you get to look at every day! Declan is a healthy, growing little guy and there is NOTHING wrong with him.
DaniM0820 likes this.

January 16th, 2013, 07:24 PM
Super Mommy
Aww sorry momma. I know this feeling and it sucks. My first we had the opposite situation. She would eat like crazy but was always slender and everyone would always make comments about not feeding her enough. Then along came my 2nd and she was a beautiful chunky monkey and then all I heard was "what do you feed this child". People are going to comment about everything. I think your guy is absolutely perfect and your doing an amazing job.
3Sapphires likes this.
January 16th, 2013, 08:41 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I just looked at his newest picture and he looks perfect to me. He has a little chunk, but that is soo normal with babies. As long as he seems healthy i wouldnt worry although i know others comments can be annoying

~mommy of 2 angels and one handsome boy~

January 16th, 2013, 09:51 PM
Blessed Mommy Of 5's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You have nothing to worry about, Ashley! Declan is a very healthy baby boy who is growing very well! All of my babies were just like that! Very big babies who got big quickly and they are all very healthy. Every one of my kids were always big babies and sometimes completely off of the percentile charts. Kyah is a big baby too and I hear those same comments quite often. Her 4 month check up is on the 24th and I am looking forward to finding out her weight/heigth. I look at it like I am doing a great job and my baby is just bigger than many babies her age. There isn't anything wrong with a big healthy baby

Declan is an adorable baby boy and I absolutely love his chunkiness

January 16th, 2013, 11:02 PM
curlygirl77's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ditto the other ladies. Micah has gained really fast too, she was under 7 at birth and is now over 15 lbs. You must make really good milk and Declan is thriving . He will probably stop gaining so quickly once he is mobile, at least that's how its been with my babies so far.

My beautiful siggy was made by *bokkechick*

January 16th, 2013, 11:29 PM
jojo2bee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have been getting the opposite with Matthew and I understand it can be so frustrating sometimes! You have nothing to worry about and Declan is just fine! He looks like an adorable happy baby that is healthy! Im sorry you have to go through this but just try to brush it off your shoulder and remember your baby is amazing and growing just like he should! babies come in all shapes and sizes!

January 17th, 2013, 05:06 AM
GeekLover11's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thank you ladies! I am sure that my DH is so tired of hearing me worry about it. I will give it a rest now.

You are all honestly the best

Ashley
Ashley
January 17th, 2013, 06:19 AM
curlygirl77's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Also, as it was when you're pregnant, people will say the most ridiculous things to you about babies! A few hours after Micah was born the cleaner came into our room, looked in the bassinet and said, 'wow, that's a big baby!'. She was 6 1/2 pounds and actually wearing a preemie outfit! Um yeah, whatever lady! Ignore the dumb comments

My beautiful siggy was made by *bokkechick*

January 17th, 2013, 07:00 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I would say it is normal Aden was 6.7 at birth and is now 17 lbs so he has gained about 10 lbs or so and so if he was 9 lbs at birth and gained ten lbs he would be almost twenty lbs. If he is happy and healthy and growing well I would not worry one bit when he gets more mobile he will thin out.

January 17th, 2013, 10:35 AM
Veteran
Hi ladies! Popping back in here (it's been a while - enjoying my little man and overly busy with he and the girls and work ) I think Declan's perfect. My little guy was just for his 4 mos. appt and weighed in a whopping 17 lbs. It's so frustrating to not fire the negativity back at folks when they make silly comments inquiring what I (we) feed our babies. I've taken to replying with, "ya know? we feed him steak, ice cream...really anything he asks for"! lol So as long as he's happy and healthy, it shouldn't matter. Every baby is different. With both of our girls, they were fluffy until they started moving around - now, they're both very athletic and lean. Keep doing what you're doing and nevermind everyone else!
January 17th, 2013, 01:33 PM
writerchick324's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I get the same thing with Elliott. One doc actually asked if he was 5 1/2 months old when he had just turned 3. She even said he was a big baby. Elliott is wearing 9 month clothes, popping the bottoms out of his 6-9, and weighs about 17 lbs. He is wearing the same size clothing as his cousin that is 4 months older than him. So don't worry, babies are honestly different sizes, and as long as his Ped isn't worried, then I wouldn't either. I would consider it a compliment if he was growing that well.

Elliott David: 9/13/12, 5:36pm, 8lbs15oz, 20 1/2" long!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search