RSV

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 17th, 2013, 10:29 AM
DaniM0820's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Friday Jordan came home from daycare with a horrible cough, but otherwise normal. Saturday he sounded worse and he had a fever, so to the doc we went. She said it was viral and we can't give him anything. She said to call if his fever hit 102 or if he still had a fever by Tuesday.

Jordan was fine until Sunday evening when he got grumpy and had a hard time going down for a nap. He still had on and off fevers so DH stayed home with him Monday. Still feverish and worse Tuesday so I stayed home and made an appointment for him again. The ped said she thought it was RSV and to call if he got worse. She said to keep doing what we were doing and make sure he wasn't dehydrated and breathing ok. She said most babies his age with RSV get hospitalized.

Well 3am Wednesday morning Jordan woke up with a coughing fit, and ended up throwing up 4 times before finally eating a bit and falling asleep DH stayed home again and I called the doc. She ordered an RSV test and they went to the hospital. Got the results last night and he was positive for RSV

We still can't give him anything and have to watch closely for the breathing and fluid intake. He has a little wheeze and his fever was gone for a whole day, but its back today and he's been sleeping a lot during the day.

So I'm home with him today and tomorrow, and I'm just praying he gets better over the weekend. Has anyone else dealt with RSV in a baby so young? Anything else we can do to help him? We have a cool mist humidifier in his room now and he woke up 6 times last night, 3 of which he was coughing so badly trying to get the mucus out

January 17th, 2013, 10:37 AM
alicenwonderland's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to alicenwonderland
Cora has RSV right now. She caught it from her brother. Her doctor said we didn't even have to bring her in because we already know what it is. She is miserable. I'm using the comfy nose to suck out her secretions, steam her in the bathroom, and give her ibuprofen for comfort. No wheezes yet. My son has had it for 7 days and still going strong, so its a long one

January 17th, 2013, 11:47 AM
Blessed Mommy Of 5's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm sorry Kyah just got over having a ton of mucous in her throat. It was awful. I did the same things you're doing. You might try putting vapor rub on Jordan. I put it on Kyah's neck, chest, and feet. I really think it helped. Another thing is you can try and make sure he sleeps slightly elevated. I definitely agree with the steamy bathroom. Just close off the bathroom and turn the shower on as hot as it will go. Then sit in the bathroom with Jordan for as long as you can. Make sure he is wrapped up well when leaving the bathroom as the air will be much cooler. Keep suctioning his nose with a bulb aspirator. I hope Jordan gets better very soon. It is so sad when your baby is sick. I'm praying for him!

Last edited by Blessed Mommy Of 5; January 17th, 2013 at 09:16 PM.
January 17th, 2013, 12:29 PM
jojo2bee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh I'm so sorry Dani! first off *hugs*! I know its hard having a sick baby! But I say the same as the other girls, the bathroom steam one I've herd is amazing. But I'm srry again and I hope Jordan gets better real soon! I'll keep you all in my thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery!

January 17th, 2013, 12:35 PM
3Sapphires's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i'm so sorry

FF Chart**CrazyAmiCrochet**
Missing Our Angels gone too soon 6/5/10 & 3/1/14
Adam Michael 9/22/06 (c-section)~Nathan Joseph 9/4/08 (VBAC)~Lincoln Thomas 9/5/12 (VBAC)

January 17th, 2013, 09:05 PM
destiny hope's Avatar Veteran
I had Alex admitted to the hospital on boxing day for rev where all they could do for him was suctioning out his nose and throat and nebulizer treatments for three days every 2hrs and a oral lung steriod. Now keep in mind that it is not true most babies are hospitalized they say only normally when they are premies or have a lower immune system.
I will let u know what happened with Alex over Christmas eve and Christmas he started with a mild cough and by xmas eve night noticed the mucous in his chest and his cough was worse woke up morning and he had watery eyes was fussy and his cough was getting worse and now sounded a bit wheezy. Boxing day i debated all day whether I should take him in as he was wheezing really bad had a horrible cough still getting worse started running a fever about 9:00pm came and he was chocking on his mucous and turned blue and he was also pulling in his chest when he breathed. Very scary...

He required also for 2 nights constant oxygen as his stats kept dropping.

He was sent home and this is what my Dr said was give him his blue inhaler every 4hrs use a warm air humidifier with hicks oil on the humidifier and clear his mucous he get with a bulb syringe.
He got over the cough about a week and a half later and he is fine now.
Just watch that he isn't pulling their chest in or have rapid breathing and use the humidifier. Just because some babies are hospitalized doesn't mean all will be and they say 90% of babies will get rsv before the age of 2. I hope Jordan starts feeling better I will have you in my thought.
January 18th, 2013, 05:26 AM
GeekLover11's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I really hope that he starts to feel better Dani!!

Ashley
Ashley
January 18th, 2013, 04:45 PM
DaniM0820's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Other than waking at 4:30am coughing and then projectile vomiting on me, he has done REALLY well today! No fever and still has the cough and some mucus but he acted more like himself and played for a while, and we also got smiles and laughs
I'm hoping by the weekend he is much much better!

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and prayers I know he will have the coughing for a while but it looks like the worst is over!

January 18th, 2013, 06:13 PM
smashley8's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So glad that he is feeling a little better and I hope he is a new kid again soon! That is so scary No baby should have to get sick, it's not fair!

January 18th, 2013, 06:18 PM
Risa's Avatar Veteran
I'm glad he seems like he is on the right track! I hope he keeps getting better!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search