Really dude?

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree17Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 18th, 2013, 03:38 AM
Mountain~Mama's Avatar ThePastHasNoPowerOverMe
I was at the mall the other day with the girls. I was wearing Sarah, Sam and Audrey were walking beside me, both being good (for a change! ) We were walking through the middle commons area and went past this middle aged, overweight, blue collar looking dude who was talking on his cell phone. I barely noticed him until he stops his conversation to tell me it looks like I have my hands full. Really? I have 3 kids, not 30, and they weren't doing anything to attract attention at the moment. Is it really that important to stop in the middle of what your doing to get in my business? Some people just make me SMH!
therevslady likes this.

Last edited by Mountain~Mama; January 18th, 2013 at 05:06 AM.
January 18th, 2013, 05:00 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
What's a SMH? Seriously though he sounds like an idiot. Though, maybe he just fancied you and wanted to talk to you.
hopesNdreams likes this.

January 18th, 2013, 05:06 AM
SMH = Shake my head.

I kinda wondered if he was trying to hit on me.
January 18th, 2013, 05:07 AM
Are you flattered or nauseated?

January 18th, 2013, 05:11 AM
I think it's kinda funny. It always amazes me that complete strangers have the desire to comment on my family. It's not usually something I do to others.
January 18th, 2013, 05:15 AM
Me neither. I think some people don't have a cut-off valve and just say whatever they're thinking before they've really thought about it.
Mountain~Mama likes this.

January 18th, 2013, 05:35 AM
MosaicWife's Avatar Missa
He probably meant no harm. I've had that from strangers before, usually said with a smile. Sometimes I think it's because they remember what it's like and sometimes it's because I'm holding a 5 year old who wants to run and jump (and indeed may be jumping while I hold onto him) have a 3 year old standing next to me and I'm wearing a baby. It probably does look like I have my hands full. I think it's empathy that makes people say that. I once had a friend say it when Doc was just a toddler and we were just realizing he was Autistic. She just felt for me and she was right, he can be a freaking handful.
afwifey09 likes this.

January 18th, 2013, 06:02 AM
LadyCoconut's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've had people say that to me. Even earlier this week, Emmett was asleep in the ergo and lily was sitting in the shopping cart and a woman was all "you have your hands full" with a smile and I just said something about how lucky I am and she responded with the typical "enjoy it! They grow so fast"

I think people just try to make small talk.
hopesNdreams and afwifey09 like this.

January 18th, 2013, 06:33 AM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
I think its the fact that he was mid-conversation that's off? With one, they just want to talk to him, not me

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
January 18th, 2013, 06:46 AM
TKbunny's Avatar Elias's slave..err..Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain~Mama View Post
SMH = Shake my head.

I kinda wondered if he was trying to hit on me.
I was so going to say something like that. I was thinking he must have been in such awe of your beauty and the parenting skills needed to keep all the LOs behaving well that he was suddenly speechless. You are one rockin' mama!

January 18th, 2013, 07:29 AM
Sherry777's Avatar Blessed Mommy
I would have said I had three more kids at home.

January 18th, 2013, 08:34 AM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
We get that all the freaking time, drives me a bit nuts
January 18th, 2013, 09:02 AM
Pixie Dust's Avatar Veteran
I just think that sometimes men just really don't know how to say things. There is no telling what was going on in his mind... maybe hitting on you, remembering raising his kids, maybe just being rude. Who knows!

I had a man ask me if all three of my kids had the same dad!
Now, I've had the ask if the baby was mine (or grandkid or other relative) but never if they all had the same dad. I just laughed.

I've decide to basically ignore all the stranger comments and just laugh about them. Around the dinner table I report comments that I have gotten. It is now sorta like the family joke. My 13 yr old daughter even tries to make stangers think Cetch is hers just to get a reaction out of people. I actually think it is helping my older kids learn to not let others get a negative reaction from you. They know in the end who cares what strangers think. And, we get the last laugh (together!).
January 18th, 2013, 10:07 AM
I don't think he meant any harm and I've had this comment made to me almost every time I go out in public but yeah, it was the fact that he interrupted his phone conversation to comment to me that was odd. I guess I am just that awe inspiring!
Carwen*Angel and hopesNdreams like this.
January 18th, 2013, 10:52 AM
Well, you ARE awe-inspiring Mel!

January 18th, 2013, 11:51 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I really think it has to do with your kids being close in age. Cause, we have 5 under 7, but we still got those comments when we only had two kids....they were just close in age. Most people have it in their minds that a three year spacing is ideal, so when they see them closer together, it makes them think it looks really hard, and, well, in a lot of ways maybe it is. We never go out in public without hearing that statement now. That's the least of what we will hear! Sheesh, some people have NO filter. Usually when they say " boy, you have your hands full", I just smile and say "hands and hearts". Sure sometimes I would like to stick it to some people, especially when they make it sound like we have too many kids....right in front of my kids. I would like to line them up and ask, "so which one should we not have had, or which one should we get rid of?!" But, I just smile and go on. Most people are innocent hearted about it though, but it does begin to feel like we are a walking circus, even though my children behave like angels when we're out. There are the irritating comments, but it's nice when someone notices their god behavior and comments on that instead. That is edifying to my kids and encourages more good behavior. The other comments can be downright damaging.
On a different note, you wouldn't believe some of the things said to my sister when out with her kids. She and her husband have adopted their three children from Korea. my poor niece and nephews....people must think they don't understand English because they don't look American, but they have had to be witness to so many rude commenters out in public. Back during the swine flu, my sister was pushing my niece in the cart and a cashier refused to check her groceries for her because she had my Asian niece in the cart.

January 18th, 2013, 02:17 PM
You are kidding!!!! OMG I'd have had that cashier fired on the spot!! People are just amazing.
January 18th, 2013, 02:19 PM
Jfolk826's Avatar Kayleigh & Kendyle's Mom
I hate when people say things like that. I had a lady say that to me during Christmas while I was standing in the line for my kids to visit with Santa...some people really do need a filter....

January 18th, 2013, 02:23 PM
TKbunny's Avatar Elias's slave..err..Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama4life View Post
Back during the swine flu, my sister was pushing my niece in the cart and a cashier refused to check her groceries for her because she had my Asian niece in the cart.
What the hell? How did that cashier get away with that BS? Ignorant POS...sorry, that just makes me mad to think about that poor kid having to deal with people like her.

January 19th, 2013, 06:39 AM
hopesNdreams's Avatar Proud BF'ing Mama!!!
I deal with that all the time, especially on the weekend when I have all 6 with me..I get "are they all yours" and the new one when I'm with Chase and the girls "3 girls and a little boy, are you done now" do I know you.high some people are just rude...they may not intend to be, but it's annoying..

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search