Comparing Babies

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 18th, 2013, 03:09 PM
writerchick324's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My best friend son and Elliott are 5 weeks and 8 minutes apart. (lol) so Elliott is always a little ahead of her son. We are of course facebook friends and she told me one day of something I never noticed I did. When she would post a picture of how big he is getting, or how he does 'this' or 'that' now, I compare Elliott. It would go something like this: "Finally out of his newborn clothes!" --My comment: "Hooray! Elliott was only in his for like two weeks, they grow way too fast!" or something.

She said she was never bothered by it, but I guess some of her family members pointed out that I am always comparing them. I don't do it to make Elliott seem better, but I guess to show that they are alike (we have EVERYTHING in common, it's really weird). I feel bad, and try to watch what I say on facebook but I still find myself doing it.

Is anyone else guilty of doing this or do I have something wacky going on in my head? Am I subconsciously trying to say that my kid is better than hers or something? I hope not. I don't mean it to sound bad, and I don't know why I have to say it either. :/

Elliott David: 9/13/12, 5:36pm, 8lbs15oz, 20 1/2" long!

January 18th, 2013, 03:14 PM
Super Mommy
I can't believe anyone would point that out. I have several girlfriends on Facebook who had babies a little before me and they respond much like you did every time and I see nothing wrong with it. It does not bother me at all.
January 18th, 2013, 03:17 PM
writerchick324's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That is very reassuring! I am glad I am not the only one. I would hate to sound like I don't care about her son given she is Elliott's Godmother! I think I like comparing them and making similarities due to how alike us two are.

I am glad I am not the only one that does it!

Elliott David: 9/13/12, 5:36pm, 8lbs15oz, 20 1/2" long!

January 18th, 2013, 03:20 PM
Super Mommy
I actually enjoy the feed back from them, and I agree it makes me feel closer to them having something so wonderful in common.
January 18th, 2013, 03:29 PM
Super Mommy
It's not even comparing... it's having things in common and sharing experiences with one another. I do it and so do all of my friends that are moms. I don't care when people do it unless they are saying "wow, it took that long, my child was doing that way before then" or something where they are trying to make it seem like their child is better than mine. To me the kids don't even need to be close in age. My mom does that and I'm almost 28 lol. If I say one of my kids started getting teeth at _ age, she will say "you got teeth at _ age." Some people are just sensitive when it comes to kids (grandkids, etc) or certain people. I know that if my mom says something, I will be fine with it but if my MIL says the exact same thing, I will take offense lol.

January 18th, 2013, 03:32 PM
curlygirl77's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think i do this, lol. It's not to brag, i guess i just like to share my experiences

My beautiful siggy was made by *bokkechick*

January 18th, 2013, 06:21 PM
smashley8's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I also have a friend who had a baby a couple weeks before me, and we always comment and like each others stuff on Facebook because our kids are so close in age and doing the same things!

This does however remind me of STFU Parents, google it - it's a blog and a hilarious read! It makes me think twice about what I post on facebook, haha. There's a lot of stuff on there about "Mommy-jacking", where a mom takes over a Facebook post when it was totally unnecessary! Like if someone said "Today is an awesome day, I bought a new car!" and a mom responds "Today's awesome for me too, Benjamin turns 2 today " Obviously what you're talking about doesn't even compare but it still reminded me of it!

January 18th, 2013, 07:49 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I know i do the same thing and hope im not offending anyone. I also do it mostly because its something i have in common with the person and think its neat to see how our babies are all growing together... Even if at different rates. I agree that if the persons trying to be like omg my babies way better or yours is behind od be upset but if not its cool :-)

January 18th, 2013, 09:15 PM
Blessed Mommy Of 5's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I do that too! There is nothing wrong with sharing and comparing baby milestones and achievements! I don't see how anyone would find it offensive. I find it interesting and helpful

January 18th, 2013, 09:22 PM
destiny hope's Avatar Veteran
I do it too I think anyone who has kids tend to do it don't worry u r not alone
January 18th, 2013, 09:41 PM
jojo2bee's Avatar Matthew's Mommy!
Ido the same with a friend that had her son 18 days before I had Matthew andwe do that all the time to! I just see it as s showing how close our babies are! we did the same thing while we were pregnant to! I cant believe someone would point that out, there is absolutly nothing wrong with it! I do it all the time one here to and I dont mean it as compaing at all but as showing how alike our babies are, I think its great to know and have people who go through the same thing with me you know, its jst reassuring to know I'm not the only one ha ha!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search