Napping

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 19th, 2013, 09:43 AM
smashley8's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm at my wits end about this. Remy WILL NOT NAP! He sleeps like a bear in his carseat if we go out anywhere during the day, but other than that he sleeps for spurts of 10-20 minutes and it's usually in someone's arms. I'm just overwhelmed with not being able to get anything done during the day - he's good about keeping himself entertained for periods of time, but I start feeling guilty if I leave him for too long somewhere.

Aren't they supposed to start getting on a nap schedule after 3 months? I took it with a grain of salt until now but it's starting to get really frustrating not knowing when he's going to sleep, if at all. I have to pick my battles though I guess because he is an AMAZING night time sleeper.

Any suggestions? I'm really not comfortable with letting him cry.

January 19th, 2013, 12:16 PM
Super Mommy
You just described Brady to a T.
January 19th, 2013, 12:55 PM
curlygirl77's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sorry no suggestions, only sympathy lol. Micah will only nap if she's being held and she doesn't sleep at night either. None of my kids have been good nappers, it was only during their second years that i was able to get them on a predictable sleep schedule, probably my own fault as i just can't bear to let them cry it out. I find it's easier to get things done while she's awake. I will move her from room to room with me and talk to her while i'm doing housework and she's usually not too bad for about 20 minutes. If Remy will play for a while alone i say don't feel guilty, you will be glad of that skill later on if he learns to amuse himself for a bit and he isn't bugging you to entertain him 24/7.

My beautiful siggy was made by *bokkechick*

January 19th, 2013, 01:23 PM
jojo2bee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm sorry Ashley! That is such a pain to! Matthew was like that for a while to and would sleep great in his carseat when we were out. Now he pretty much only naps in his swing or carseat still. we will put him in there after he eats his baby food then nurses so hes nice a full and he will watch tv for a while usually then just fall asleep. Maybe try smething like that? I'm sorry I couldnt be of more help! I dont like to let him cry either!

January 19th, 2013, 02:51 PM
smashley8's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yeah I think I will just have to take advantage of those times when he is happy just hanging out in a seat or his play mat. I always feel like I have to be entertaining him! Mom guilt at its finest! I should also say that when he's really tired, he'll sleep through anything. So when I lay him down after he falls asleep and he wakes back up, I feel like he's not truly tired enough to sleep at that point. He'll go all day and then get super tired by 6 or 6:30 but no way am I putting him to bed that early haha. Thanks for the sympathy girls!

January 21st, 2013, 08:19 PM
bettyearl's Avatar Beth, mom to 4 boys
I highly recommend this book: Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child: Marc Weissbluth: 9780449004029: Amazon.com: Books

It has done wonders for us with each of our very different 4 children. And I don't think 6 or 6:30 is too early. Isaac goes to bed at 5pm, nearly on the dot every day. If I keep him up later he is just fussier and has a harder time going down and does not sleep in later in the morning.
January 22nd, 2013, 08:06 AM
writerchick324's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Elliott went through a stage like that, but luckily it was just a stage. He still has days where he only takes 20 minute naps through the day. I get stuff done by letting him entertain himself-his car bouncer, then move him to his bumbo seat with toys, then his bouncy chair, etc. All the movement and new stuff keeps him distracted. He is not a big cry baby (lol) so when he does cry I know he is ready for a new toy, wants to eat or is ready for a nap.

And babies do reach a point where they are more awake during the day than they sleep. He was still going to bed fine and STTN so I figured he just didn't want to nap. And I did let him cry a few minutes when I knew he was tired. Sometimes he just has to get that last little burst of energy out in order to crash!

Elliott David: 9/13/12, 5:36pm, 8lbs15oz, 20 1/2" long!

January 22nd, 2013, 08:17 AM
Blessed Mommy Of 5's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Kyah does this now! When it comes to napping it might take 45 minutes for her to get to sleep and then she will sleep for maybe 20 minutes and act as if she just slept for 2 hours. Wide awake and happy when she gets up. She takes 2 regular naps per day. One around 1:00 pm and the other around 6:00. Those will last for about an hour to an hour and a half. She takes 2-3 cat naps (lasting 15-20 min). Those are the ones I feel like she probably wasn't really sleepy although she gives me every reason to think she was! As far as a schedule, every baby is different! You just never know.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search