Rear Facing Till FOUR years old is recomended!

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By Panda
  • 1 Post By BabyDust2013
  • 1 Post By amazing_love

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 22nd, 2013, 01:36 PM
Mega Super Mommy
SO I wanted to make this post for other mama's like me who did not know that the recommendation is that you keep your child rear facing in the car until four years old or as long as is possible! It is five times safer for your child to be rear facing in a car until in any type of car accident. It is actually safer for anyone but especially infants and toddlers!

The reason that I found myself doing this research is that my infant car seats max weight is like 20 or 22Lbs and Aden is about 18 now and so I was needing a new car seat! after all of my research I have decided to go with this one

Diono Radian RXT Car Seat - Storm | JustKidsStore

It is pretty awesome convertible car seat that will support up to 45lb rear facing and 120lb forward facing.

For any of you other mama's who have not researched car seats or rear faceing youtube extended rear facing do your own research and be informed about your children's safety!

one thing in all of my research that resonated with me is broken leg=cast broken neck=casket

Sorry to sound all infomercial lol but I am sooo passionate about safety and if I can help one person make an informed decision I am happy!!

January 22nd, 2013, 03:19 PM
jojo2bee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for the info! I was actually curious about this to lol

January 22nd, 2013, 04:51 PM
Blessed Mommy Of 5's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thank you for posting this! Kyah is 19 lbs now by my scale! I did not know that the infant seats only go to 20-22 lbs. Good thing I already have a convertible car seat that I put up until I felt she was ready. Looks like it will be sooner than I thought!

January 22nd, 2013, 06:07 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Some seats go to 30 or 35 lbs mine doesn't I would check the owners manual for yours to see what the weight restrictions are for your seat.

January 22nd, 2013, 08:11 PM
3Sapphires's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Last I heard the recommendation was RF until 2 year, but the law is still one year and 20 pounds.

We will most likely turn baby around shortly after 2nd birthday.

some infant seats have a higher weight limit, mine is in the 22 pound range, but since Linc isn't even 12 pounds yet, I don't need to worry, and I have another adjustment on the straps to go yet. so we should be able to get another few months out of it.

FF Chart**CrazyAmiCrochet**
Missing Our Angels gone too soon 6/5/10 & 3/1/14
Adam Michael 9/22/06 (c-section)~Nathan Joseph 9/4/08 (VBAC)~Lincoln Thomas 9/5/12 (VBAC)

January 23rd, 2013, 01:46 AM
curlygirl77's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Michelle, check your seat, some go to a higher weight. I know mine is good up to 30lbs.

Panda, my dd is 3, and we turned her forward facing at 2... I don't even know if her legs would fit if she was rear facing, they are so long now. Do they make special seats for older children facing backwards?

My beautiful siggy was made by *bokkechick*

January 23rd, 2013, 07:13 AM
RunningMommyTo5's Avatar Marathoning Mom to 4!
Yeah, last I've researched it was 2, as well. I have a 36lb, 40in tall 2 year old and there is NO WAY he'd fit rear facing anymore! We had to turn him at about 1.5yrs because he wasn't fitting anymore, mind you at that time he was about 30+lb and 36in tall. All of my boys have been in the higher percentiles, so they were MUCH bigger than "average". Maybe it would be easier for average size? Now, if Bailey stays as small as she is now, we'll most likely leave her rear facing until she's 2 at minimum.
*~*~ Katie; Mommy to 3 fun-loving boys, one sweet little baby girl, and #5 on the way! *~*~

January 23rd, 2013, 07:43 AM
Just wanted to say....I'm a huge advocate for this! I will have my child rear facing as long as they are allowed to be.
Panda likes this.
January 23rd, 2013, 11:16 AM
amazing_love's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Glad you shared this! I've also heard the recommendation is 2 or as long as possible. Pretty much the longer the better! My son was RF until about 2.5 yrs old. I would've kept him RF except he got car sick easily and i was tired of cleaning up vomit from the car. I was happy to make it that far and hope to have Kylie RF even longer. Like you said, broken legs vs. broken neck.

As for kids "fitting" RF, many people think there is no way a child's legs could stay comfortable but its not bad at all. If you think about it, its actually less comfortable for a child to sit for a long period of time with their legs dangling as they are more likely to go numb and get uncomfortable that way. I didn't really understand this until seeing pics of kids and my own tall 2 yr old sitting RFing
Panda likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search