Elias' 6 month check up...and boy do I feel like crap now

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By aarafko
  • 1 Post By emeraldeyedimp
  • 2 Post By Carwen*Angel
  • 1 Post By 1fabulousfem
  • 1 Post By acchickpea
  • 1 Post By Mom2JDub
  • 1 Post By HippieLove

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 22nd, 2013, 07:26 PM
TKbunny's Avatar Elias's slave..err..Mommy
So turns out I was right. My Bubbers is not getting enough to eat He's almost 28 inches long and just makes the 15 pound mark (and they swear if he had pooped before he came he might not have). He's in the top % in length, but in the very bottom % for weight. I want to cry.

Although the Doctor said he was still healthy and fine, she teased me that he must be on a diet. He's so skinny. She said to feed him at least 32oz. of formula a day and 3 meals (around 5oz) of solids. She said the spitting up is fine as long as he's gaining weight better. I told her I thought that spitting up meant I was over filling his tummy, and she assured me that was not the case.

I feel like crap! Here I was, trying not to over feed him and make him spit up too much and I was starving my poor baby. Will I ever get this stuff right? I feel like I'm failing here.

The Doctor said it was fine, not to worry too much about it, just to change it now and he'd be fine. I understand I'm new to all this and I'm not going to get everything perfectly correct, but I still feel like a crappy mommy. How could I not know sooner he wasn't getting enough? Poor Elias.

Other than that, everything went fine. He got his shots and cried for a few seconds, then he was fine. He got a book they were giving out, part of an outreach program trying to get more parents to read to their babies. We get a new book every time we go.

His eyes are great, ears are fine and he's developing fine with his milestones she said. All in all it wasn't a bad check up, other than the part where I had my 6 month old on a diet

January 22nd, 2013, 07:45 PM
aubers68's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Summer is only 13lbs 9oz and just a few days shy of six months. I was really worried but she eats, is happy and hitting milestones so I'm not too worried about it. Some babies just gain differently. You're not a bad parent at all!!

January 22nd, 2013, 08:44 PM
aarafko's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Don't beat yourself up! You aren't a bad mommy. Babies grow at different rates. I think Elias will be just fine.
mama4life likes this.

May 2013 February 2014 July 2014
January 22nd, 2013, 10:30 PM
emeraldeyedimp's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Don't beat yourself up over it. Doctors often have certain "goals" they follow or want you to follow doesn't mean that he really can eat all that. Babies and children, even teens all grow at different paces so I wouldn't worry too much. You're doing a great job!
mama4life likes this.
January 23rd, 2013, 04:02 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
I'm disgusted with your doctor over that comment. It's not professional and surely they realise that sort of comment is going to lay a guilt trip on an emotional mother.

Tina, you have not been starving your baby! If Elias had been hungry he would have been crying for food. Michaela is the same, she's not gaining as they would like in an ideal world, she has some mild spitting up issues too, and she's satisfied by what she has. The health visitors have asked us to try and get "an extra ounce here and there" into here but honestly we've tried and it just makes her sick. We're beginning to wean but there is NO WAY she would take 3 meals a day plus still 32oz of formula, that's ridiculous, that's a day's worth of formula plus 3 other meals! When Daniel went onto solids he went quickly on to 3 meals a day, and then only had 3 7oz bottles so 21oz alongside his food - which is the guidance on every formula tub over here.

I'm not saying don't do what the doctor said or anything, I'm not a doctor, you can certainly try - but please don't be beating yourself up if he won't take it because certainly to me, that seems like a massive amount of food. You are doing great and I do wish medical so-called professionals would realise that most moms do their best and get off the case a bit!

therevslady and mama4life like this.

January 23rd, 2013, 07:05 AM
1fabulousfem's Avatar Mommy to Finn + 1!
You are a great Mommy and if Elias was missing something believe me he would let you know.
Don't make yourself crazy about it. He is growing and he is healthy.
Congratulations on doing such a great job!
Cylence likes this.

January 23rd, 2013, 07:11 AM
acchickpea's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Agreed with all of the mommies above! You are doing great! Sounds like he is healthy and that is what you want!
JesusisKing likes this.
January 23rd, 2013, 12:06 PM
Mom2JDub's Avatar (formerly junie22)
Broken record here too. Don't dwell on the doctor's comments. And don't continue to beat yourself up if he doesn't take a full 32 ounces of formula and three meals. That seems rather excessive and could quite possibly head him into the other direction and form bad eating habits in him. Perhaps I'm wrong on that, but that just seems like a lot for a 6-month-old.
HippieLove likes this.

Thanks, *Kiliki*, for the perfect siggy!

Click here to read Jack's baby journal.
January 23rd, 2013, 12:57 PM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
I have to agree with the other ladies. If he was really starving he would have let you know. You're doing great. Please don't beat yourself up.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

January 23rd, 2013, 04:57 PM
HippieLove's Avatar Modern Day Brady Bunch
Send a message via MSN to HippieLove
Wow your doctor is a moron! His weight is FINE and you are doing amazing as a mother Tina! He doesn't need 3 meals a day, you're not starving him!! Solids before 12 months is for practice and fun!! Ugh I'm so sorry you're feeling so down after all this pay no attention.
one.juniper likes this.

Emma, girlfriend of Loz, future step-mama to J (15) and K (10), Mama to Jaelah (8), Oliver (5), Mianna (4) and Harper (2), WTTC our first together, in 2015.
January 23rd, 2013, 07:23 PM
one.juniper's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to one.juniper
I agree with everyone! Don't beat yourself up. I am a firm believer that a baby will tell you when he/she isn't getting enough to eat! If he doesn't seem hungry then I don't think you are starving him. Try to cheer up.

Pinterest
Flickr
January 23rd, 2013, 07:37 PM
Mrs.Julie's Avatar Mommy to 3 Princesses
At Kata's 4 month check up she was 27.5 inches and 15.3 pounds...they werent worried and I KNOW she is eating plenty. Obviously growing, im sure he is fine

January 23rd, 2013, 07:48 PM
gumonyershoe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to gumonyershoe Send a message via MSN to gumonyershoe Send a message via Yahoo to gumonyershoe
Aww!! I'm sure he's fine. *hugs* I'd be freaking out too though.

Thank you Vicki... for my awesome siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search