5 month update puls life changes!

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 24th, 2013, 09:39 AM
Mega Super Mommy
So Aden is five months and I can not believe it!!! My little man is rolling in both directions and sitting up.... the time has really flown by!! We are going to be starting solids at some point soonish I made some banana food made about 6oz worth of food for 12 cents WOOT WOOT!! I am really in no rush to start solids because it seems like a hassle to spoon feed even tho I am excited for big boy food! I am very proud to say that we are still breast feeding exclusively which I think is a great feat for me since I am working and pumping! SO far everything is going great and there is no signs that we will be stopping any time soon!

In other news me and my fiance are having a really hard time right now financially with work only giving me 12-17 hours a week because the holidays are over. Since I work in retail January is always the hardest. Another trouble is that my fiance will graduate with a bachelors in history this may (sooo happy for him) but after that we will be at a stand still because he needs a masters degree for the job that he wants and that would require him to be in school monday- friday dawn to dusk and that would not work since he is the primary income. Right now I am also unable to go to school because if I went to school my program is very demanding I would only be able to work weekends and that would not even pay for day care that I would have to put Aden in (so far he has never been in day care we have a friend watch him on the weekends and we pay her 50 a weekend). We have been scared about what is going to happen because we do not want to be stuck which if we continue on this path we may be stuck with neither of us being able to advance in our education. Also we are kinda stuck in our trailer that we own it is only a 14 by 40 which is one bedroom and only about 500 square feet of living space. It was great when it was just me and my fiance but now with my little love bug I would love to move up into a bigger place with a room for Aden to have of his own or at least where we could put all of his stuff lol!! We were both military brats growing up so we talked about him joining the military with a degree going into the airforce or navy as an e-3 (making 1784 a month plus housing allowance) It may not sound like alot to some but that is about both of our income put together It is not going to be a career but a means to put me through school and depending on how it all works out I will only be working weekends. We have talked and prayed and weighed the pros and cons and although we have not signed the paperwork yet this is what we are going to do. Probably by this summer because once he graduates in may we will quit receiving the GI bill he gets while he is in school. I could use some prayers we are struggling right now not to the point that we can't pay the bills but we have nothing extra. Especialy now that we are having to pay off my student loans since I am not in school.... Sorry to overload you guys but noone but our dads know about our decision and I had to tell someone!!!!

BTW sorry I never updated I am not pregnant!!!

January 24th, 2013, 10:06 AM
Blessed Mommy Of 5's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Time has certainly been flying by! Aden is doing do well That is awesome to make 6 oz of baby food for 12 cents!! I found out Kyah loves bananas! Curious how you made your baby food?

I can relate to the financial issues. The house we recently moved into cost a lot more than where we moved from. And then we added Kyah to the family as well I am looking into working from home. I am not sure yet what types of opportunities are available for this.

I will definitely pray for you and your family that everything works out and you are able to become more financially secure no matter which route you take!

Last edited by Blessed Mommy Of 5; January 24th, 2013 at 11:01 AM.
January 24th, 2013, 10:22 AM
writerchick324's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am right there with you financially wise. We are down to the bare basics now-rent, car payments, home phone/internet (no cell reception on the island) 1 cell phone (pre paid) and utilities. No cable tv, gym, or extra money. We haven't bought real groceries in a month. We are basically living off of WIC and the deer that he got during hunting season, and any meat we have in the big freezer. Luckily it's done us well and we don't need to buy groceries yet. But we also are living penny to penny and the house is falling apart around us. (It's a house for $550 rent, less than what most studios are, so it's not the best but better than we could get anywhere else, we lucked out).

He thought of joining the military but won't because he is 30. I know I couldn't handle it. We bring home about $1700 a month total too, but I haven't had a normal paycheck so it may be even less than that. And with $600 of that going to the cars and $550 rent, that doesn't leave much for electric, gas (30 minute drive to anywhere) and any other bills.

I think the military is a great idea. Only because you can really get ahead, travel, and feel comfortable. I know how it is being strapped for cash in a small place. It's a bummer about the school issue, but at least you guys have a set idea.

And I am curious about the bananas too! How did you make it??

Elliott David: 9/13/12, 5:36pm, 8lbs15oz, 20 1/2" long!

January 24th, 2013, 12:33 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I do have the baby bullet but you definately don't need it to make food! I did not have a blender or anything so I asked for the baby bullet for Christmas and it is soooo cheap to make food I payed about 40 cents for an alvocado and made about 8 large servings. I love the baby bullet but any blender will work or a fork! I am not using breast milk untill I know Aden will like the food lol I am using nursery water to thin it out.

January 24th, 2013, 12:42 PM
smashley8's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm so sorry to hear about your financial troubles. If you girls ever need anything, don't hesitate to let us know!

January 24th, 2013, 12:47 PM
jojo2bee's Avatar Matthew's Mommy!
DH is in the military now and I am to actually but will be getting out soon. Hes not active duty but works full time as dod and was bringing home about 1200 every 2 weeks so thas not bad at all. but we also dont have housing allowance and what not like active duty does. Oh and were army by the way lol but hes been thinking about going into the navy next. career wise its the better decision with his respiratory therapy education hes getting. but its really nice because it is a steady paycheck.... but be warned with a lot of new things being passed with obama and what not that military has been cut on funding which includes our pay. DH has already noticed his pay cut and its every check plus there threatning to have them go 3 weeks unpaid leave every few months. they say if they can they will try to backpay for it but not anytime soon. so I'm just warning on that one since its already been happening.

anyways thats great that Aden is good and sitting and rolling! How exciting the time really does fly by!

and I understand the finical issues! with the pay cuts and our rent in our tiny crappy worth way less then what we pay apartment going up now its been hard. and now with Matthew to take care of. Were getting ready to look for a house so hopefully that will be better for us and cheaper then what were paying now and were going to use our income tax refund to pay down some debt we have as well. so things havent been to easy here either. plus I'm wating to go back to school possibly but that cannot happen right now.

I also work in retail and just went back to work this past weekend and got 11 hours, which I was supprised about to seeing as how last year I was barley getting 4. So I know that hard part with that! but I hope things go great for you guys and the military decision helps out a lot! and sorry for writing a book over here lol

Last edited by jojo2bee; January 24th, 2013 at 12:53 PM.
January 24th, 2013, 01:52 PM
curlygirl77's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am a military wife. It's not a bad lifestyle and we are pretty comfortable most of the time. Plus we have lived and visited some fantastic places

I am happy to hear that aden is doing well and i hope everything works out soon, whatever you decide to do

My beautiful siggy was made by *bokkechick*

January 25th, 2013, 05:19 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to MrsTiffy Send a message via Yahoo to MrsTiffy
I'm a military wife as well. It isn't that bad, but it is different. The pay is ok and the benefits are great. Dh has also lost money out of his pay recently. It wasn't a lot, but it was still frustrating having to rework my budget around it. There are a lot of things changing in the military community right now, so try to keep up to speed with that. Dh is in the navy and he is making it a career. If you ever have any questions don't hesitate to ask!

Vivian (6)
Caden (5)
Alex (2)
Maura born 9/11/12

January 28th, 2013, 06:14 AM
Super Mommy
You sound just like us 13 years ago. My husband joined the Marine Corps and it was the best thing for us. It was an adjustment as is everything but it was the best decision and has been great. We have seen some amazing places, we could always count on his paycheck and medical insurance and gave us both the push to grow up that we needed. Oh and just an FYI military or not, everyone's paycheck took a hit after January 1st. Good Luck and I am happy for you both finding the path that will work for your family.
January 29th, 2013, 05:43 AM
RunningMommyTo5's Avatar Marathoning Mom to 4!
Aden is doing so well!!!! What a big boy (and super cute to boot ) I'm so sorry about your situation! I am not a military wife, but we live in a city that has a large military post (Ft Benning) and I have MANY friends that are Army or Ranger wives. The one thing they all say is that it's hard at first, but they all learn to adjust. Plus, there is a strong support system among many of the military wives, from what I've been told by my friends. It sounds like you two are making a great and responsible choice for your family.
*~*~ Katie; Mommy to 3 fun-loving boys, one sweet little baby girl, and #5 on the way! *~*~

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search