4 month appointment, and a question for you ladies!

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 14th, 2013, 02:14 PM
smashley8's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Remy had his 4 month appointment (and shots ) today. He is a growing boy!! He was 14 pounds, 10 ounces and just short of 25 inches long. He was 50th percentile for height, weight, and head circumference - just an average Joe. LOL

My ped talked to us about starting him on solids. He recommended that we start at 5 months giving him rice cereal. I asked him about the information out there saying not to start before 6 months, and that there is a higher risk of allergies. He agreed with the allergies and also mentioned Coeliac's Disease. Basically to sum it up he said between 5 and 7 months is a window of opportunity and can be positive for oral motor skills. He also said that there were reports that if you waited until after 7 months to start solids, they could have a greater chance of developing Coeliac's Disease and that they could be resistant to solids at that time. He made a comment saying that by the time he sees us next time, we will have probably already started him on several stage 1 foods. I asked him about skipping rice cereal and going straight to other solids and he said that there's no reason not to start with rice cereal and that typically you start with that because it can be thinned out a lot. I guess I'm just wondering what you guys think of all this? I know a bunch of you have already started solids but I'm hesitant and was planning on waiting until closer to 6 months. I know I'm his mom and have the right to do so anyway, but I'm also curious about skipping rice cereal and going straight to other things.

February 14th, 2013, 02:27 PM
curlygirl77's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Do what you think is best. Drs annoy me lol. I personally skip the rice cereal because it has no real nutritional value and because it just plain tastes nasty! I think Doctors have turned parenting infants into such a stressful experience nowadays, always saying this or that is 'right' and everyrhing else is 'wrong' and detrimental. I firmly believe that mothers know best . If you ask ten pediatricians about starting solids they will all give you different advice. I have started Micah on fruit and veggies because i was pretty sure she was ready and nobody in my family has any allergies, so i was confident that wouldn't be a problem. I have never heard of having to strt before seven months and i know of people that haven't introduced any solids until a year.

My beautiful siggy was made by *bokkechick*

February 14th, 2013, 02:38 PM
smashley8's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thank you Abbie! You pretty much confirmed how I was feeling about it. I want solids to be healthy for him but also a good experience as well.

February 15th, 2013, 02:26 AM
jojo2bee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Agreed. If you want to wait them wait and if you want to skip rice cereal then skip it! I also very much so agree with the mother knows best thing.

I did give Matthew brown rice cereal for the first week and a half to 2 weeks and he wasn't a big fan of it. He hasn't had it since but I like it for thickening his fruit and veggie purees. I make homemade baby food and a few items thin out a bit after being frozen so I want to use the rice cereal (I make homemade as well) to thicken them up, he eats them better that way then when there to thin. Anyways I think he needs some flavor and there is very little nutritional value to rice cereal.

February 16th, 2013, 10:04 AM
Blessed Mommy Of 5's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Definitely do what you feel is best! I agree that Mommy knows best!!

I started Kyah on solids because it as obvious she was ready!! She doesn't get much though. If she had it her way she would eat and eat as far as solids go. She gets very mad and has a fit every time her baby food is all gone. As far as rice cereal, Kyah eats rice cereal mixed with fruit and she loves it.

February 16th, 2013, 07:57 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Mommy knows best! Do whatever feels right! Aden has eaten some solids but by no means every day and only when it is convenient for me lol!! He has tried avocado, banana, and sweet potato. We skipped rice cereal all together and just jumped into fruits and veggies I felt that they were more nutritious than rice.

February 17th, 2013, 12:11 AM
Starstrydergrrl's Avatar Super Mommy
I have Coeliac and it sucks big time, only found out a few weeks ago after a Whole30 (Paleo diet change).

So in light of that we started Mika with mashed Avo, banana, butternut, carrots. She loves them and I am not worried that she has a risk for the same as I have. Go with your instinct, do what works for your family. Drs can be stupid at times.

February 17th, 2013, 05:06 AM
HazelMom's Avatar Emily
Our pediatrician said that she recommends everyone wait until 6 months to start solids these days, so that's what we're doing. I had wanted to start solid foods at 4 months but I didn't feel committed enough to it to go against our doctor's advice.

I agree that it's probably not a big deal whether you start at 4 vs. 5 vs. 6 months! And whether or not to do rice cereal seems like a personal preference thing. We'll probably start with rice cereal because it's easy though.
February 17th, 2013, 01:59 PM
Sagga02's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Sagga02 Send a message via MSN to Sagga02 Send a message via Yahoo to Sagga02
I have never heard that before and would want him to back that up with proven research.

Do what you feel is best. If you try foods and you don't think he has interest, reacts strangely, gets plugged up then just stop and try again in a week or two again. He has the rest of his life to eat

www.etsy.com/shop/sagga02

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search