SIDS and sleeping with things

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 3Sapphires

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 19th, 2013, 10:27 AM
smashley8's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So I have to ask just to see where you all are at with this. Are any of you still fanatics about baby sleeping with NOTHING, whether it's naps or night time? Anybody still very concerned with the SIDS risk?

I know the SIDS risk is highest until 6 months, but I have backed off a little with my concern. As a FTM I would constantly check his breathing and wake up in a panic sometimes to put my hand on his chest. Remy has been sleeping with a Boppy head support pillow for a couple months now when I was concerned with his head tilt/torticollis. I'm convinced that the pillow helped with that, and since it's a habit, I still have him sleep with it. I will probably take it away once he rolls from back to tummy. Other than that, he gets put in a sleep sack with no blankets.

As far as naps go, I always give him a muslin swaddle blanket to nap with because he can't fall asleep unless he has something to hold near his face and next to his cheeks. Since the material is breathable, I don't worry about him suffocating but I still check on him every once in a while if he naps longer than 30 to 45 minutes like he usually does. He also naps in his crib on his lambie (infant | Bowron Sheepskins).

I'm considering moving him to his crib at night soon, and I know the transition will be easier if I let him go to sleep on the lambie since he is used to it for naps. I'm still a little torn if I should allow this though, considering they say there should be nothing in the crib. I know some people have even rolled up towels and such in the crib to make the transition easier. He's going to outgrow his bassinet soon and I'm feeling a little depressed about him going to his crib, but I think I would feel better knowing he is comfy and cozy and not sleeping on a hard mattress with nothing but a sheet. Help me with this dilemma!

February 19th, 2013, 11:36 AM
3Sapphires's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Maybe I'm the odd one out, but I've tried to not worry about SIDS, most SIDS cases are not SIDS.

I'm not fanatical about checking on the baby, I peek in once before I go to bed, but I don't check on him during naps, he has a small blanket, and a stuffed animal at the other end of the crib.

oddly I'm a worrier by nature, but SIDS is something I do my best not to worry about.
hotjai21 likes this.

FF Chart**CrazyAmiCrochet**
Missing Our Angels gone too soon 6/5/10 & 3/1/14
Adam Michael 9/22/06 (c-section)~Nathan Joseph 9/4/08 (VBAC)~Lincoln Thomas 9/5/12 (VBAC)

February 19th, 2013, 12:02 PM
GeekLover11's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am the same as Ami, I really try not to worry about it. Declan HATES being swaddled and the sleep sacks, so he sleeps with a blanket every night. It is a very light blanket that is crocheted, so it is very breathable. He doesn't sleep with anything else though and also has breathable bumpers.

By nature, Declan tend to like having the blanket over his face, that is the way DH sleeps and my MIL sleep. When he is nursing, he will literally pull my t-shirt over his face. At first, this made me SO nervous. But, until I watched him do it in his sleep and watched him move the blanket, or watched him start to cry when it bothered him, I stopped worrying.

Ashley
Ashley
February 19th, 2013, 12:27 PM
Blessed Mommy Of 5's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I try not to worry about SIDS too. Kyah sleeps in my bed beside me and under my blanket. All of my kids did as babies, so it is what I am used to.

As far as the lambie (which I love, btw), I would first say do what your Mommy instincts tell you to do! If he were to roll on his belly; does he have the strength to lift up enough to breathe? I bet he does. It really is a decision you ill need to make. Either way there will always be Mommies who are set against anything in the crib, and there will be Mommies who disagree.

After all, many Mommies would not let their baby sleep in bed with them. However, that is what works for us I have never ever had any issues with any of my babies doing so.

February 19th, 2013, 01:51 PM
jojo2bee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Itr not worries about SIDS to. It will just rive me nuts if I do lol. But I have a video/ audio moniter for him plus I got a snuza (movement montor) so I feel very much at ease now. He sleeps in his crib but I have all the moniters to help me feel better, DH thinks I'm nuts lol. He has a toy in his crib that is attached to he side, its a mirror thing and he will play with it when he wakes up and its high up so he cant smother himself in it. He does sleep with a blanket n his crib and I only cover him to his middle chest maybe with arms on top. he has never moved it before so I'm not to concerned about it, besides I have all the moniters and I check the video one all the time untill I go to sleep.

February 19th, 2013, 02:46 PM
writerchick324's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I use a snuza on Elliott too. I also have stuffed animals and blankets in there-sometimes he likes to hold onto a stuffed animal. They are small though, and the big 2 are at the foot of the crib. The blanket is crocheted so he can breathe through it. But we have normal bumpers and our baby blankets on the back that will be moved off once he can grab and pull hard enough (they are tucked under the mattress). He likes to reach out and stroke them while he falls asleep. I use the snuza at night most of the time though.

Elliott David: 9/13/12, 5:36pm, 8lbs15oz, 20 1/2" long!

February 19th, 2013, 03:15 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Popping in from the Oct Playroom. To make the transition easier from the Rock & Play, I took two towels and rolled them up lengthwise and made kind of an oval in the crib. I then took the liner from the Rock and Play and tucked it over the towels to make a kind of "nest" It fills up the crib width wise and she is swaddled and not rolling yet so she sleeps like a rock and has made the transition very easily. Do what you think is best!

February 19th, 2013, 10:21 PM
Starstrydergrrl's Avatar Super Mommy
We used an Angelcare sensor pad with Kenny (because he was so early) and decided to do the same with Mika. It has made sleeping much easier for me I am not super paranoid about SIDS since she sleep with a blanket but possibly only because I have the pad underneath her.

February 20th, 2013, 06:44 AM
RunningMommyTo5's Avatar Marathoning Mom to 4!
I try not to worry about what I can't control. I've got enough of the other issues to worry about with Bailey! I agree that you do what your instincts tell you is best. Bailey still sleeps in her SwaddleMe and she's not much for rolling or moving in her sleep yet. She's pretty much in the same spot when I wake her up as she was when I laid her down in her crib. I do have a bumper on and there are some stuffed animals on the other end of her bed. I'll take those out when she starts swimming around her crib.
*~*~ Katie; Mommy to 3 fun-loving boys, one sweet little baby girl, and #5 on the way! *~*~

February 20th, 2013, 12:03 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I am a worrier, particularly about SIDS (I'm not sure why) DS#1 slept with absolutely nothing in his crib, no pillow or blanket until he was 2 1/2. DS#2 so far sleeps in just his crib with nothing else, but he will probably join his big brother in the big boy bed at a younger age and will obviously have pillows and blankies then.

My Ovulation Chart
February 21st, 2013, 09:01 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I did the same thing transitioning from the rock&play. I took 2 blankets, rolled them up, put them under the sheet, then I put a real flat pillow under the mattress by the head of the bed. I'll take that stuff out when he starts rolling over.

I don't have too much stuff in his crib, but he does have a pretty fluffy blanket. It's one of those fleece ones where you knot the edges. I have a natural instinct to check on him if he's slept for more than 6 hours at night. I can't help it I wake up, then I can't fall back asleep til I go up there and check on him. Typically he'll wake up 30 mins- 1 hr later lol

February 23rd, 2013, 10:54 PM
hotjai21's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to hotjai21
For the most part Rylen sleeps with us. When she is in her crib or pnp she gets a blanket to cover her. They do not get pillows until they are much older, but I do blankets from day one. For as paranoid as I am about a ton of things, that doesn't bother me. I do keep a fan on to circulate the air, but that's it. My kiddos are often side or tummy sleepers as well. Typically from very early on.

url=http://www.pregnology.com/pregnancy/03/01/2015][/url]Make a pregnancy ticker

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search