I feel so down

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By Jessimaaka
  • 2 Post By 3littlepiggies
  • 2 Post By 2pinks&ablue
  • 1 Post By Blessed.Life
  • 2 Post By MosaicWife

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 24th, 2013, 05:51 PM
HippieLove's Avatar Modern Day Brady Bunch
Send a message via MSN to HippieLove
Did you know anybody can take a photo and make it look good, if they're technologically minded? Yeah. Well that's the feedback I got from the last photos I took (see my facebook page e.magine photography). Who did the feedback come from? My Mothers boyfriend and I guess since she can't be her own person since he came along, she thinks the same. Id be lying if I said I wasn't so hurt I haven't looked sideways at my camera since.

Thing is, I was so nervous about them because I've never taken photos for anyone else but myself.. And I know I have so much more to learn. They're amateur but I did think I had a gift. I felt like you had to have the flare to be good at photography but now I can't stop thinking about those words. I've never felt good or special at anything in my
Whole life. I've always felt like a failure. Now the one thing I thought maybe with time I could really grow with it. I share it with my own Mother and "anyone can do it".

Sigh sorry for venting here I'm all teary And just sad.

Emma, girlfriend of Loz, future step-mama to J (15) and K (10), Mama to Jaelah (8), Oliver (5), Mianna (4) and Harper (2), WTTC our first together, in 2015.
February 24th, 2013, 07:07 PM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
I can't take good pictures to save my life. It really is a gift and I totally think you have it. Ignore the naysayers. I LOVE your pictures.
Carwen*Angel likes this.

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
February 24th, 2013, 07:15 PM
Super Mommy
Oh Emma **BIG HUGS** I'm so sorry that your mom & her boyfriend are making you feel that way. You are doing a wonderful job and you DO have a flare for it. Don't let anyone make you think otherwise. Everyone has to start somewhere. Don't give up! I'm sure everyone who has been a success has had negative responses. Just keep at it and prove them wrong!
Carwen*Angel and JesusisKing like this.

February 24th, 2013, 07:39 PM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
Huge hugs! I'm sorry they were so rude and inconsiderate! And simply not true. Yes, anyone can take pictures, but not very everyone can capture emotion and memories the way you do! I love your photos!
February 24th, 2013, 08:21 PM
Blessed.Life's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
first off you are not a failure! I saw your photos and they are awesome!!! Even the pros have more to learn. You rock already and there is no where you can go but up. Don't listen to them. People will always get you down, but thats one of the things that will motivate you to be that much better... to prove them wrong! So what are you waiting for? Hurry up and continue to prove them wrong
Carwen*Angel likes this.
February 25th, 2013, 12:35 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
Your mom's boyfriend really sounds like a horrible person if that's his reaction to a family member's project. That's his karma.

What he has said is simply not true Emma. I am useless at photography. Doesn't matter how many shots I take, most of them are crap. I have no clue about using editing software, either. I am in awe of anyone who can take beautiful photographs, make beautiful siggies, blinkies etc. Your photographs are great! Don't let one idiot spoil it for you, you were so excited when you started your FB page. It's human nature to take to heart the one horrible comment rather than the many lovely comments, I know, but don't let him bring you down.

February 25th, 2013, 02:10 AM
MosaicWife's Avatar Missa
Oh no dude it is so a gift. So so a gift. Bobby has an artist's mind so for that reason he can make crappy phone pics come out awesome. Me? Ha! Even with an expensive digital that does everything for me I'm crap. Also his cousin who just got a job at a photography company, one of the kind that does school and church pictures and the like, was "practicing" on her dog. Bad just baaaaaaaaad. She doesn't have the talent. It's going to take her a lot of hard work to even be mediocre, much like it would for me. So yeah, not just anybody can be a photographer, that's a bunch of bullhockey.

For your amusement. Show this site to your mom.
http://youarenotaphotographer.com/
Carwen*Angel and Cylence like this.

Last edited by MosaicWife; February 25th, 2013 at 02:13 AM.
February 25th, 2013, 04:55 AM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
Wow Missa...that site is hilarious!!! Emma, go look at those pictures and you'll realize how much talent you have!

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
February 25th, 2013, 06:25 AM
magz88's Avatar First Time Mum
I'm so sorry that your Mum made you feel badly.
February 25th, 2013, 07:01 AM
Mountain~Mama's Avatar ThePastHasNoPowerOverMe
Your photos are really good Emma, and with practice and experience you will be a fabulous photographer. It takes an eye and talent, not just a fancy camera and an editing program..

You obviously have the talent!
February 25th, 2013, 07:39 AM
1fabulousfem's Avatar Mommy to Finn + 1!
I personally love your pics!

February 25th, 2013, 11:37 AM
Mrs.Julie's Avatar Mommy to 3 Princesses
I just took a look, they are very good. Your mothers bf seems a bit negative. Building people up is always best. I say dont listen to him

February 25th, 2013, 12:48 PM
one.juniper's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to one.juniper
Omg.. ***. first I had two posts then I had none. Let's start over. I believe my post went something like this...

Either you have a flare for photography or you don't. Being able to use photo editing tools well can only enhance a photograph so much, it can't make a bad photo good.

I think people who say "anyone can do that" about photography are the same kind of people who go to an art gallery and say "anyone could do that" about a painting. Oh really, you think so? Then why haven't you?

As an aside, I just went and checked out your page on FB. I think your photos are good. Some of them are overexposed but you have good angles, good composition and you've made good use of natural lighting. Good luck with your business, I'm sure you'll do well!

Pinterest
Flickr

Last edited by one.juniper; February 25th, 2013 at 01:11 PM.
February 25th, 2013, 07:12 PM
TKbunny's Avatar Elias's slave..err..Mommy
Are you KIDDING?? Emma, you are sooo gifted! I am always raving about your pics of Harper to DH and his mom <---totally because I'm jealous, of course! And sure, many people can take 'OK' pics if they know what to do these days, but yours are beyond 'OK'. Yours are marvelous. You have an eye for POV and all that kind of thing. And sorry, but if you haven't got the right POV no amount of 'tricks' can make it look like you do. You have style, grace and the ability to make your shots look like pure magic. I always love your pictures. Don't let anyone, even your mother, keep you from doing something you love. If she can't see your talent, if she can't think for herself, that's her loss.

February 25th, 2013, 09:30 PM
HippieLove's Avatar Modern Day Brady Bunch
Send a message via MSN to HippieLove
Thanks everyone an thanks for the advice Jen. Everything is self taught to I enjoy constructive criticism. It's not a business yet, maybe never will be its more just practice now and you never know.. I only have a canon 1000D and kit lens which is like a rebel xs I think there. It's 10mpx. It just really bummed me out and hurt my feelings...

Emma, girlfriend of Loz, future step-mama to J (15) and K (10), Mama to Jaelah (8), Oliver (5), Mianna (4) and Harper (2), WTTC our first together, in 2015.
February 26th, 2013, 02:36 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
honey xxx just don't let them take from you something you love, something you're meant to explore xxx

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search