Babies sleeping in the cold

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Mrs.Julie
  • 1 Post By Jessimaaka
  • 1 Post By TKbunny

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 25th, 2013, 06:27 AM
magz88's Avatar First Time Mum
This is an interesting article about babies sleeping in the cold.

BBC News - The babies who nap in sub-zero temperatures

My neighbour told me that his Mum would do that. One of my best friend's did that a few times with one of her daughter's as well. I would, but I am scared someone would steal him!
February 25th, 2013, 08:12 AM
aubers68's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This would make me so nervous. I'm always afraid to take Summer out in the cold. We don't avoid going places but I always fear she's too cold or too hot. I just can't imagine putting her out to sleep in the frigid weather.

February 25th, 2013, 08:42 AM
ufmelissa824's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm going to send this to my MIL. She thinks us keeping our house at 70 is too cold and that Emily's going to catch pneumonia.

February 25th, 2013, 10:20 AM
Cylence's Avatar I'm a Toys 'R Us kid
I no longer feel bad about her bedroom getting a bit chilly at night...

Soo... kudos that they are comfortable enough leaving their babies outside but.... I couldn't do it.
February 25th, 2013, 11:43 AM
Mrs.Julie's Avatar Mommy to 3 Princesses
Statistics have shown that SIDS is less prevalent when baby is kept cool.
Mountain~Mama and Sherry777 like this.

February 25th, 2013, 12:02 PM
berryblue031's Avatar Mathias' Super Mommy!
I live in Denmark where this is really normal too, it was really weird for me at first I was so scared somebody would steal him lol, but in this country that kind of thing just doesn't happen. Having a large pram stroller for daycare is mandatory and my son slept in his outside until he was 3.

I admit though I haven't really started Anna sleeping in the pram yet, she sleeps really well in the house and was born right at the start of the rainy season... I remember all to well pushing my son around in his pram in the rain - because once they get used to being walked to sleep in the pram you can't go back lol

Mathias: Born Nov 10 2009 weighing in at: 9lbs 2oz & 22inches (4150g 54cm)

Anna Elizabeth: Born Aug 24 2012 weighing in at: 8lbs 6oz & 20.5inches (3795g 52cm)
February 25th, 2013, 12:03 PM
berryblue031's Avatar Mathias' Super Mommy!
I live in Denmark where this is really normal too, it was really weird for me at first I was so scared somebody would steal him lol, but in this country that kind of thing just doesn't happen. Having a large pram stroller for daycare is mandatory and my son slept in his outside until he was 3.

I admit though I haven't really started Anna sleeping in the pram yet, she sleeps really well in the house and was born right at the start of the rainy season... I remember all to well pushing my son around in his pram in the rain - because once they get used to being walked to sleep in the pram you can't go back lol

Mathias: Born Nov 10 2009 weighing in at: 9lbs 2oz & 22inches (4150g 54cm)

Anna Elizabeth: Born Aug 24 2012 weighing in at: 8lbs 6oz & 20.5inches (3795g 52cm)
February 25th, 2013, 01:37 PM
Blessed.Life's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am Swedish and although I have never been I was raised in a Swedish household. I would let Micah nap in my fenced backyard but my neighbor smokes non-stop so that doesn't happen. I do try to get him fresh air as much as I can though! Since I do live in California it never really gets cold though. If it did I don't think I would have him sleeping outside though... I am sure if I lived in a climate where it was colder it would be different but here in the 60s my baby wears a jacket since that is cold to us haha.
February 25th, 2013, 02:49 PM
Mega Super Mommy
That's really interesting but if I was to try that here CPS would take him away from me in a heart beat. In the summer? Sure but now? Not happening. Plus I would be SO paranoid and checking on him every 5 minutes to make sure he's still breathing lol

February 25th, 2013, 03:23 PM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
I wouldn't do it just because its too cold here, but I think there's something to it. It was only -2C today, so we went for a long walk. Tons of people didn't clean their sidewalks, so it was like offroading for him, and he still fell asleep
TKbunny likes this.

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
February 25th, 2013, 06:59 PM
TKbunny's Avatar Elias's slave..err..Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessimaaka View Post
I wouldn't do it just because its too cold here, but I think there's something to it. It was only -2C today, so we went for a long walk. Tons of people didn't clean their sidewalks, so it was like offroading for him, and he still fell asleep
This made me giggle

It's way too cold here to leave him outside to sleep now but in the summer I would. If I was right there with him. I have a Pack n' Play I plan on using for that this summer.

I'm always worried he's too cold at night. When he was just a month or so old, as soon as the temp in his room hit 67 he'd start moving around and waking up! So we had to keep it about that temp. Now it's normally around 69-70 at night to sleep. I'd go cooler but his hands get cold then
Jessimaaka likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search