nursing in public?

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By aislin22

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 26th, 2013, 12:30 AM
jojo2bee's Avatar Matthew's Mommy!
So after my whole village inn kindness thing that happened got me to thinking, how do you all feel about nursing in public? Do you do it or do you go to your car or the restroom or something? If you do, do you use a cover or not?

February 26th, 2013, 04:59 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to MrsTiffy Send a message via Yahoo to MrsTiffy
I don't go somewhere else to nurse. If the baby is hungry I feed here wherever we are. It depends on where we are if I use a cover or not. If I am in a crowded place I use a cover because it makes me feel more comfortable.

Vivian (6)
Caden (5)
Alex (2)
Maura born 9/11/12

February 26th, 2013, 05:55 AM
3Sapphires's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I do NIP, but it is less now that he is a bit older, I try to use my cover still but he rips it away.

FF Chart**CrazyAmiCrochet**
Missing Our Angels gone too soon 6/5/10 & 2/19/14
Adam Michael 9/22/06 (c-section)~Nathan Joseph 9/4/08 (VBAC)~Lincoln Thomas 9/5/12 (VBAC)

February 26th, 2013, 08:13 AM
Blessed Mommy Of 5's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ami, exactly what Kyah does now!!

Kyah fights the nursing cover, making it impossible to use unless she is very very sleepy. I nurse in public when I can use my cover. I nurse in our vehicle with a cover. I have nursed in restrooms several times. If I am in public, I stay covered. At home with me having 4 older kids, I stay covered in front of them. I don't want them to be uncomfortable. Most of the time I will take Kyah in another room to nurse her since she doesn't allow the nursing cover anymore.

February 26th, 2013, 09:06 AM
Angelamomtomany's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I NIP wherever I am. Sometimes I cover so Naomi is less distracted. Sometimes if there are a lot of people. I take each situation as it comes.

February 26th, 2013, 09:33 AM
MJTKNT's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I nurse wherever we are. I wear nursing tanks, and a shirt over the top, so my lower half is covered, and my upper half is covered, and I pull out just enough boob to feed. If I'm around men, or in a busy place with older kids/teenagers, I'll still use a blanket too, but most times I don't cover up anymore than my clothes already cover me.

February 26th, 2013, 12:01 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I nurse in public all the time. I don't use a cover, and last time I tried to put something over Eve it distracted her and made her mad. I usually wear nursing tanks and then pull my shirt up, so there is literally no skin exposed when she's latched. I've looked in my mirror at home, so I know what it looks like when I'm NIP. One time I was nursing Eve out and about and some guy asked me if she was asleep....I said, "Yeah, something like that!" He didn't even realize she was eating.
February 26th, 2013, 12:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I nurse whenever and wherever I need to I never mastered the nursing cover and have always been more comfortable with a nursing tank under another shirt.

February 26th, 2013, 04:15 PM
~*Kel*~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to ~*Kel*~
I do nurse in public, but I generally go to the car or nursing room just for my own comfort, the only places I have really needed to NIP is at the zoo or Chuck E Cheese and I feel strange about kids looking at me lol. I also have use a nipple shield so it is a little more difficult for me to be discreet.

February 26th, 2013, 06:58 PM
Super Mommy
I feel uncomfortable nursing around other children (besides my own who are all girls) and have just never felt comfortable being uncovered in public so I always find a private location to nurse while out. But at home everywhere is free game.
February 26th, 2013, 11:15 PM
I nurse him when hes hungry wherever we are, I always use a cover though and for my own comfort. At home u nurse wherever and have done it at my brothers house while they were moving. Sometimes I will go to the car (usually while house hunting) if I see it necessary like today when I was getting an oil change (dh came by in his car since I was right by his school) but other then that where ever.

And I have nursing tops I usually wear or a tank top uner regular shirts to, I cut the straps and sew a loop on the front, its cheaper then buys then besides I have nursing bras I always wear

February 27th, 2013, 05:19 PM
alicenwonderland's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to alicenwonderland
I NIP, but i don't like to. I feel like everyone is staring at me. I prefer to use a cover, but usually forget it.

February 27th, 2013, 06:35 PM
I keep my nursing cover in his diaper bag, I dont think im brave enough to NIP without it lol

February 27th, 2013, 09:28 PM
aislin22's Avatar Regular
I have absolutely no issue nursing in public. That is what boobs are for. I do try to be as discreet as possible but Olivia will rip my cover away most the time. I pull my shirt up instead of sliding it to the slide then I can slip it over my exposed breast for added discretion. It's the best thing for my baby and I will not let strangers I will probably never see again make me feel dirty or wrong for doing so. I think I was more worried about it when she was younger but she's almost 6 months old now so we had lots of practice.
RunningMommyTo5 likes this.
February 27th, 2013, 10:50 PM
proudmomtoEthan's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to proudmomtoEthan
I have yet to nip but that's because I have to use a pillow when I nurse. Hailey just unmatched every time I try to do the cradle hold or football hold to nurse. I nurse in my van covered, but that's mostly because I don't want anyone to see my breast. They aren't for the world to see, so I do it in private. I wish I was more open to nip it would make outing less stressful.
February 28th, 2013, 03:30 AM
Mega Super Mommy
When i was nursing i would always go to the car if we were out and nurse him there. Being very large breasted and with him struggling to properly latch or stay latched often made it tough for me to be in public and stay covered and i was never comfortable with it. I already have anxiety and feel like people are staring at me so it made it worse. I always wished i could feel comfortable doing it though. I think its great that so many of you do. I really wish more people felt confortable doing it because it would become more common and people wouldnt care so much. Ive only ever seen one woman nurse in public in my area and it was at a theme park so not very common around here

February 28th, 2013, 05:46 AM
RunningMommyTo5's Avatar Marathoning Mom to 4!
I do NIP! I cover and try to be discreet, but I'm not letting someone else's feelings deter me from feeding my baby! Many times, I can't go to a car and I REFUSE to nurse in a restroom. To that recommendation, I tell people why don't you take your meal and eat it in there....Oh, wait, that's disgusting you say??? It's nasty to eat where the toilet is???? Yet, you feel I should let my baby eat there??? I think not, LOL. When the boys have practice, etc, and I"m there by myself with them, it's impossible for me to go to the car. I've yet to have anyone say anything or shoot me any dirty looks. I will say that the more kids I've had, the more comfortable I am NIP. She's my 4th and I'm far more comfortable with her. Like I said, I do try to cover and be discreet. Not that anyone would see anything if I wasn't covered with how she latches and I also pull my shirt up and unsnap my cami...so no skin is even exposed. I just don't want her distracted by what's going on around her.

True story....my friend was very discreetly (covered and all) NIP on a bench in the mall. A man made a comment about how disgusting that was and that someone might see her boob (again she was completely covered) while right behind her was Victoria's Secret with a HUGE poster covering their entire store front with a model who had so much cleavage hanging out of her bra that really only her nips were covered. My friend looks at the guy and then looks back at the poster....she says "You have an issue with my feeding my baby because of the very unlikely possibility that you may see a small amount of flesh, but you won't because I'm covered, yet you're perfectly fine with THAT <nodding towards the poster>" She said the guys face got so red and he stumbled over his words, not knowing what to say, before he finally apologized and walked away.
*~*~ Katie; Mommy to 3 fun-loving boys, one sweet little baby girl, and #5 on the way! *~*~

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search