Babies and cat naps! How much sleep does a baby really need?

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By MJTKNT
  • 1 Post By 2Reasons2Smile
  • 1 Post By smashley8

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 26th, 2013, 10:40 AM
Blessed Mommy Of 5's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So, Kyah has been taking cat naps every day for at least a couple of weeks now, probably longer. She usually will take a regular nap in the morning time for a couple of hours. Since she doesn't go to sleep until about midnight nowadays and gets up at 6:30. She pretty much can't keep herself from taking a regular nap in the mornings just to get a sufficient amount of sleep. The cat naps are just killing me!! Okay, maybe not killing me, but they are rough on me!! Her nap times are just about the only time I get for me! But, even that is impossible if she insists on me holding her through her cat nap!! So, she gets really sleepy, rubbing her eyes with her little fists and all, showing me she is sleepy. I then either nurse her (if that's what she wants), or bounce her to sleep. But, she will only sleep for maybe 20-30 minutes and most often I have to hold her or the timing is even less than that. This happens probably 4 times throughout the day/evening. Sometimes more. I just wish she would at least take 2 regular naps then she can skip the cat naps if that would help!

Does your baby take cat naps?

Do you ever have to hold your baby through naps?

Does your baby take both cat naps and regular naps?

How long are your babies naps?

How much sleep do you feel that babies this age need?

Any tips or tricks or advice concerning this subject?

February 26th, 2013, 11:21 AM
MJTKNT's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Knox does the same if he's not swaddled. During the day, I put him in his crib on his tummy (I know, I know...I'm at peace with it) and that's the only way he'll sleep longer than 30 minutes. I also have an angelcare monitor that helps me keep my mind at ease over the tummy sleeping...but it's the only position where he'll sleep.
proudmomtoEthan likes this.

February 26th, 2013, 11:36 AM
2Reasons2Smile's Avatar Love my little family <3
Evelyn is a wonkty napper. She has days in which she just cat naps and days where she will take 2 good long naps. Her brothers and their schedules play a huge roll in her naps and lack there of . She also naps on her own and others times naps on me its all situation here still. Here is a chart from the book Happiest baby on the block. We actually were talking about this in a fb group I am in.

Blessed Mommy Of 5 likes this.
February 26th, 2013, 12:07 PM
3Sapphires's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Does your baby take cat naps? yes, once in a while in the evening for 10-15 minutes after dinner

Do you ever have to hold your baby through naps? only for a small cat nap

Does your baby take both cat naps and regular naps? he takes a regular nap every day for about 4 hours, and a small cat nap once in a while

How long are your babies naps? one afternoon nap about 4 hours

How much sleep do you feel that babies this age need? I think he is getting the amount he needs, about 11 hours at night and 4 hours during the day.

Any tips or tricks or advice concerning this subject? we did CIO early at about a month old, the longest he ever cried was about 8 minutes. I will do this again with future kids, we waited until Adam and Nate were 8 months old to CIO and it was freaking miserable.

FF Chart**CrazyAmiCrochet**
Missing Our Angels gone too soon 6/5/10 & 3/1/14
Adam Michael 9/22/06 (c-section)~Nathan Joseph 9/4/08 (VBAC)~Lincoln Thomas 9/5/12 (VBAC)

February 26th, 2013, 05:26 PM
~*Kel*~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to ~*Kel*~
Brennan is big on cat naps that is the only way he naps at the sitters recently. He naps on and off all day. He sleeps from 8 or 9 until 5:30am when we get up for work. In total he probably gets 12-14 hours of sleep a day. He does sleep a little more on weekends because I let the kids sleep until they want to get up (which is normally about 8am) and we usually take a 2-3 how nap. I only hold him to nap if we are out, but we co-sleep so I cuddle him a lot when we are at home.

February 26th, 2013, 06:21 PM
smashley8's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Naps are so frustrating for me right now but I'm trying not to stress myself out about it too much. Until 6 months babies are still working out their daytime sleep and most of the time their cycles are only 45 minutes with difficulty staying asleep once the cycle is over. Remy naps pretty much on cue 30-45 minutes (still trying to figure out why some are only 30 minutes) and he has a very hard time staying awake for any length of time since his naps are short. It makes for a tough day when I feel like I'm trying to put him to sleep more than he's actually sleeping! I found babywhispererforums.com and I've been reading a lot on there. You might find it helpful too! I think the first thing I would do is try to get Kyah used to being in a specific place (her crib, pack n play, etc.) for her naps rather than holding her. Have you tried swaddling, white noise, dark room? I stopped swaddling Remy but I think I might get a Zipadee-Zip | The Solution to the Swaddle Transition! and see if that helps his sleep. White noise is part of our routine and I think it signifies sleep for him now.
Blessed Mommy Of 5 likes this.

February 26th, 2013, 11:39 PM
jojo2bee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
does your baby take cat naps? yes he usually will fall asleep while nursing but once I move he up. He will also fall asleep in carseat most of time which is almost always a short trip

do you ever have to hold baby through cat naps? see above lol

does your baby take both regular naps and cat naps? he usually does but will sometimes just nap or just a few cat naps

how long are your babys naps he usually naps for like 3 hours or so

how much sleep do you feel babies this age need? I feel like they sleep as much as they need, of course thats not always true at which at that point we try to get him to nap or sleep

And no tips or tricks really, Matthew olny naps in his swing or carseat. I want to try to get him to nap in crib but he just wont do it now

February 27th, 2013, 03:19 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Does your baby take cat naps? Mason really only takes catnaps usually lately... Although sometimes in the evening hell nap for 1-2 hours. At night he sleeps from 10-10:30 until 4:30-5am then eats and goes back to sleep from 5:30-9:30/10am

Do you ever have to hold your baby through naps? Most of the time i do. As long as hes tired enough once he falls asleep ill lay him on the couch beside me or put him in his swing or pack n play till he wakes up so i can do things.

Does your baby take both cat naps and regular naps? See above

How long are your babies naps? His catnaps are anywhere between 10 and 45 minutes. His long nap if he has one is 1-2 hours on daddy after dinner

How much sleep do you feel that babies this age need? Umm idk really. As much as they seem they need? I can tell when ge really beeds sleep and try to get him to nap accordingly

Any tips or tricks or advice concerning this subject? Umm not really. I might not ve the best person for advice here as i dont have him on a rigid schedule. He pretty much runs the show with this stuff and has himself on a schedule for the most part with napping and feeding. I also keep him in the loud and busy main rooms of the house during his naps which may be why he doesnt nap as long lol. We have 4 dogs barking and people in and out of the house

~mommy of 3 angels and one handsome boy~

Last edited by aquariussweety21; February 27th, 2013 at 03:23 AM.
February 27th, 2013, 08:59 AM
GeekLover11's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Does your baby take cat naps?

Do you ever have to hold your baby through naps?

Does your baby take both cat naps and regular naps? Yes he does.

How long are your babies naps? 30 minutes - 2.5 hours

How much sleep do you feel that babies this age need? I think that he just lets me know how what he needs. He has very obvious signs when he is exhausted.

Any tips or tricks or advice concerning this subject? Stick to a schedule if you can and let the baby lead the way

Ashley
Ashley
February 28th, 2013, 12:19 AM
proudmomtoEthan's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to proudmomtoEthan
Does your baby take cat naps? No

Do you ever have to hold your baby through naps? Nope

Does your baby take both cat naps and regular naps? Just regular

How long are your babies naps? 3-4 hours Hailey take 2 naps and the bedtime

How much sleep do you feel that babies this age need? How ever much she wants. I feel a baby will sleep what they need. Sometimes she misses a nap but then goes to bed early.
February 28th, 2013, 10:00 AM
curlygirl77's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Does your baby take cat naps? Yes, especially during the evening when the household is busy.

Do you ever have to hold your baby through naps? Yes, just lately she has been waking up as soon as i lay her down!

Does your baby take both cat naps and regular naps? Yes. It depends on how quiet the house is usually.

How long are your babies naps? Sometimes as little as 15 mins, usually about an hour.

How much sleep do you feel that babies this age need? I think it depends on the baby. All my kids have been so different with their sleep habits.

Any tips or tricks or advice concerning this subject? not really! Even after 5 kids i can't get the sleep thing down, ha!

My beautiful siggy was made by *bokkechick*

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search