That was kinda rude!

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Sagga02

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 1st, 2013, 01:03 PM
curlygirl77's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I took Micah to the doc today, as she has had a bad cold and gunky eyes for a few days. The Dr gave her the all clear, but she kept saying 'he' while examining her, like, 'How long has he had this problem?' and even 'Hey little man, let's listen to your chest.' I said 'she' a couple of times, and Micah was wearing a onesie with red hearts on it, so I am pretty certain she knew she was a girl! Plus, on her chart it has her middle name Kimberly, which I have never heard used for a male!!

Anyway, at the end she said, 'Well he seems just fine' and I said, again, 'She's a girl.' The doc then said, 'Oh. But Micah's a boy's name isn't it?'

I said, 'Well I suppose it is originally, but I know of quite a few girls with boys names like Cameron and Ryan, and Micah was a name we really liked.'

The Doc then said, 'Oh, well you should have spelled it differently then.'

I was like

Lol. I have had several people now tell me that I should have spelled her name differently, but honestly I think it's really rude to tell someone how to spell their own kids' name! I would never dream of telling someone that So now being the worry wart I am, I came home and immediately started worrying that in the future she's going to have problems with her name, people assuming she's a boy, getting bullied at school etc, hating me for her name....

Honestly, do you think it's a boy's name? I know we have another Mika in the playroom, but I'm wondering if I should have spelled it with a 'K'. Ugh, I hate second guessing myself, lol.

My beautiful siggy was made by *bokkechick*

March 1st, 2013, 01:22 PM
RunningMommyTo5's Avatar Marathoning Mom to 4!
Please don't let the dr's stupidity get to you!!!! We are in the same boat, as we chose Bailey, which is VERY popular for a girl's name, but we also chose the traditional spelling over a "cutesy" one. We introduce her as "Bailey Grace" so that people will know she's a girl (although you can usually tell by the way she's dressed anyway). I think Micah is a beautiful name, and I went to church when
I was young with a girl named Micah and spelled traditionally.

I personally think the dr was very rude and had no right to say that. I love her name and when I see her in pictures, I really feel like it fits her, if you know what I mean. Don't second guess your decisions! One advantage my DH and I talked about will be on job applications, etc, is that when they read "Bailey G Walden" they won't readily know if it's a male or female and make any predeterminations. It could potentially work out in her favor to have Micah K. your last name on things!!!
*~*~ Katie; Mommy to 3 fun-loving boys, one sweet little baby girl, and #5 on the way! *~*~

Last edited by RunningMommyTo5; March 1st, 2013 at 01:24 PM.
March 1st, 2013, 01:26 PM
writerchick324's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I hear Micah as being a girls name. I like the way you spelled it-it looks softer and feminine while Mika looks more male.

I have had people ask if Elliott was a girl or a boy. He looks pretty boyish to me, and it was when he was about 3 months old, so he didn't have the neutral newborn look (even though he always looked like a boy lol). So don't feel bad.

Elliott David: 9/13/12, 5:36pm, 8lbs15oz, 20 1/2" long!

March 1st, 2013, 01:38 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I think the dr was completely out of place and rude.

Firstly, i had never heard the name Micah before at all and I think it is very nice and wirks just lovely for a girls name

I also like the way you spelled it.

Definitely dont doubt yourself. You chose her name because you love it. You can give a child any name as unique or simple as can be and they may still hate it.

March 1st, 2013, 02:25 PM
jojo2bee's Avatar Matthew's Mommy!
How rude! You just ignore that dr! Micah's name is perfect for her and the spelling is not an issue. I have a friend who just got married and his wifes name is Micah spelled the same! Thats just ignorant to tell someone something like that. You just ignore that rude dr!

Sorry thay makes me so mad when people tell other people how they should raise there children or what name to give. Its one thing when you ask for there advice or opinion but its just plan inconsiderate for them to just give there 2 cents unwanted. Ive had an issue with this with Matthew and it just makes me so mad. Sorry if I sound crazy lol!

March 1st, 2013, 03:45 PM
Thank you ladies, you are truly the best

Katie, i never even considered it being an advantage on job applications, that is a really good point.

It makes me feel better that some of you have met ladies with her name! I just can't believe that a pediatrician who must see hundreds of names, had never met a girl called Micah. Weird.

March 1st, 2013, 05:03 PM
3Sapphires's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
"Kim" is a name that used to be a male name, and 'like all names has been adapted for girls, but it isn't used any more.

but yeah, good grief how many times do you have to say "she" the nurse at my pedi thinks Lincoln is a girl and it makes me mad!

FF Chart**CrazyAmiCrochet**

Missing Our Angels gone too soon 6/5/10 & 2/19/14
Adam Michael 9/22/06 (c-section)~Nathan Joseph 9/4/08 (VBAC)~Lincoln Thomas 9/5/12 (VBAC)

March 1st, 2013, 07:26 PM
smashley8's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That's totally ridiculous. I feel like our kids' generation has thousands of gender neutral names, doctors should be indifferent to it by now!

For what it's worth, Micah is a killer name for a girl and I wouldn't second guess yourself at all! Besides, I know I take pride in the fact that my son has a pretty unique name, so you should feel the same for her! Love it!

March 2nd, 2013, 06:55 AM
Super Mommy
I love her name. I had never heard the name before but 2 thumbs up from me. I have a daughter named Avery that I use to have people say stuff like that to me and it made me worry just like you. My "Avery" is turning 11 next week and she has never had a problem with it. No worries momma. Some people are just rude.
March 2nd, 2013, 07:32 AM
Also - isn't Mika pronounced like "meeka"?

March 2nd, 2013, 08:39 PM
DaniM0820's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I get our doctor saying "she" for Jordan all the time I always have to say "he" when we bring him in!

I think no matter what people will have an opinion and someone will give you crap for what you choose to do. That's when it's best to tell them to mind their own business

I've only heard Micah as a boys' name before, but I think it makes a cute girls' name! And in this day and age, it's more like "anything goes."

March 3rd, 2013, 05:21 PM
Blessed Mommy Of 5's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That is just beyond rude. Wow. You should have gave her a piece of your mind.

Honestly, I remember you mentioning in the thread where we googled our baby's names in Google images that you thought maybe Micah was a boy name, and I thought to myself....no...it isn't!

I have never heard of Micah being a boy's name. I think it sounds great as a girl's name. I would have never thought it wasn't a girl's name to begin with. And I do not see a thing wrong with the spelling either.

As far as mistaking Micah for a boy.... I have had Kyah mistaken for a boy as well. And she was wearing her bright pink warm suit (like a snow suit) that has the hearts all over it. Seriously? Lol. Whatever!

March 4th, 2013, 07:43 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
How busy is this place that the doctor doesn't even KIND OF remember a patient? Unless you rotate peds or something in a clinic. Even so, you would think they'd take a second to check a chart before putting their hands on the patient, no matter the age.

March 4th, 2013, 08:12 AM
It's a military hospital, we just get whichever ped is on duty. Some of them are pretty useless

March 4th, 2013, 10:03 AM
Sagga02's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Sagga02 Send a message via MSN to Sagga02 Send a message via Yahoo to Sagga02
How rude!!!!

I think she suits her name so much! She LOOKS like a Micah to me
smashley8 likes this.

www.etsy.com/shop/sagga02
March 4th, 2013, 02:35 PM
I totally agree on it suiting her!

March 4th, 2013, 02:51 PM
Haha, thank you . It's funny, we only came up with the name about 2 days before she was born, but i feel it suits her too.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search