Egg allergy?

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 4th, 2013, 02:39 PM
Mega Super Mommy
So my pedi suggested that I give tuckr a little egg to supplement some protein for him.
So I gave him a few bites and he broke out like crazy! Anyone else come across allergies?

March 4th, 2013, 02:50 PM
MosaicWife's Avatar Missa
There's a rule about eggs and babies but i don't remember it. Ok I looked. You're suppose to wait until 12 months to intrduce egg whites. You can give an infant egg yolk but not egg whites. Apparently egg whites are the more common allergy.

March 4th, 2013, 03:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Yea he mentioned hard boiling eggs and giving him the yolks.
I had just given him a few bites of my egg at breakfast. Mostly yoke but there was whites in there too.
Thank you! I has no idea there was a rule about that!

March 4th, 2013, 03:26 PM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
That's scary! Hope just the yolks go better!

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
March 4th, 2013, 03:51 PM
one.juniper's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to one.juniper
Actually, experts are now recommending introducing egg as one of the first foods, not waiting until 12 months. I don't know how I feel about that personally. If you think he's had an allergic reaction I'd mention it to your ped. Obviously with food allergies you want to be careful because the more often you are exposed the worse the reactions can become.
afwifey09 likes this.

Pinterest
Flickr
March 4th, 2013, 03:56 PM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
I've always waited till two, since we've got a lot of food allergies here.

March 4th, 2013, 04:07 PM
1fabulousfem's Avatar Mommy to Finn + 1!
Poor Tuckr! I would hold out on the eggs for a while. I heard only to give the yolk but never heard about the whites. It's good to know!

March 5th, 2013, 04:37 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
I always thought eggs were one of the things you waited until 1 to give, so Michaela hasn't had any.

I'm not sure whether she has a bit of a dairy intolerance like me and Daniel. When she was on milk only she didn't feed all that well and the first formula we tried made her sick. Now she's eating more in the way of fruit and veg and just having a few bottles of milk a day she's doing a lot better and bulking up a bit.

I'm sorry that happened to Tuckr honey, I would def mention it to the doctor, especially as it was their suggestion!

March 5th, 2013, 06:11 AM
afwifey09's Avatar proud momma to Ava Kay
What Jenn said. Ava's ped said that the old food allergy rules are out the window and to feed her anything she'll take, just to still wait the 3 day period out between new foods.
March 5th, 2013, 07:27 AM
alicenwonderland's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to alicenwonderland
My son is horribly allergic to egg, so we won't try it with Cora till she's much older

March 5th, 2013, 07:43 AM
Mom to Madeline
We are trying just yolks next month...then whites around 11mo
March 5th, 2013, 08:52 AM
Mrs.Julie's Avatar Mommy to 3 Princesses
Some docs are saying give egg but my heart tells me....why not wait? If its a common allergen theres more of a chance to be allergic to it as an adult if you have it too early.
Mountain~Mama likes this.

March 5th, 2013, 08:53 AM
Pixie Dust's Avatar Veteran
That is very scary! I'm glad he ended up being okay and you know what caused the reaction!

Not to hijack this thread but is there a list somewhere that tells foods that should not be introduced until later becuase of allergy (not choking danger). The only one I remember from other kids is honey!
TuckrLeesMommy likes this.

Thanks Vicki... for my siggy!

Last edited by Pixie Dust; March 5th, 2013 at 08:58 AM.
March 5th, 2013, 09:58 AM
acchickpea's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
oh my... Hope his rashes clear up...
March 5th, 2013, 11:04 AM
JesusisKing's Avatar Veteran
Oh dear :-( so sorry! I'll probably be waiting till 1 just to be safe.
March 5th, 2013, 02:39 PM
Sherry777's Avatar Blessed Mommy
Be very careful when vaccinating if he has an egg allergy! Certain vaccines contain egg protein from chicken embryos.

Vaccines - Food Allergy and Vaccines
therevslady likes this.

March 5th, 2013, 04:13 PM
Mega Super Mommy
his rash literally only lasted maybe an hour and it was totally gone. so it was very mild, so far as i have noticed he hasnt had a single reaction to any vaccines as of yet.

i decided that i am going to give him like a bite of yoke hard boiled yoke and see how he reacts since i fed him whites with it last time.

i feel really bad that i didnt know about the no egg whites rule. :/

we dont come programmed with this stuff lol i think we need a mental download of things NOT to give baby.

oh and hijack away! i would like to find this list to!

March 5th, 2013, 10:56 PM
aubers68's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We gave Summer some of the Gerber strawberry yogurt and she got red blotchy spots on her face. Only lasted about two hours. What sucks is I have no idea if it was strawberry related or from the actual yogurt.

March 6th, 2013, 12:09 AM
AllyssaM's Avatar Emmersyns Mommah
I am actually really surprised his ped didn't say anything about egg whites to you. Adalyn's ped said that even egg yolks shouldn't be given until 9 months - HOWEVER, I know a few mommahs who have done BLWing and have started with egg yolks mashed up... So yeah.

March 6th, 2013, 07:47 AM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
I tend to lean on the more conservative side with foods that lots of kids have allergies to: things like nuts, dairy, eggs, etc.

My family struggles with dairy, so we won't offer dairy for two years (not even the recommended milk at one year). If Rowan weans like most of my kids around 1.5 years, I will hope to just have a nice stocked pumped boobie milk supply to last him one 1-2 cups of milk a day till he's two.

I have a wheat allergy, so I watch carefully with the kids and make sure they don't have allergies to that.

A good thing to do is to become familiar with allergic reactions: it's not just about rash. There are many other things that food allergies can cause: migraines, digestion problems, bloody stool, excema, behavior/sleep problems, and more. Many parents with kids diagnosed with ADD or ADHD find it was related to a food allergy. I find this true with my 4 year old. He was showing signs to ADHD along with other things when we finally decided to quit giving him dairy alltogether.
AllyssaM likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search