Falling behind.

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By curlygirl77

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 4th, 2013, 03:10 PM
writerchick324's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I feel like Elliott is falling behind milestone wise. He will sit, but falls over easily. When he does, he usually gets his arm underneath him or at his side and he just lays there until he starts fussing and we get him. Most times I wait so he can try to work it out on his own but he just ends up crying until we fix him. He doesn't roll over anymore. He did a few times at 2-3 months from belly to back but never back to belly, and now he just lies there on his back or lies on his belly until he gets uncomfortable and screams-making us move him. Sometimes he will manage to throw his leg over to get to almost his side but nothing that is really going to get him anywhere.

He is really good at his Jungle Jumper and great at standing (with assistance) but he still is figuring out that he can put toys in his mouth (just started 2 weeks ago) but he mainly brings the toy up to near his mouth and chews on his hand then drops the toy. If I put one in his mouth he will get maybe part of his hand around it but then chews on his fingers and drops the toy. He mainly chews on his fingers.

He will be 6 months old in 9 days...I feel like he should be doing a little more than what he does now. He has a doctors appointment tomorrow to check out his cough (productive now) and hi reflux (worse now even an hour after his medicine), so I will talk to his doctor then about it. I was just wondering if anyone else has a kid that is doing about the same things or if everyone elses kid is more advanced. It's tough when his best friend (my best friends son) is 5 weeks younger and is cutting teeth already...I feel like Elliott is at a standstill.

Elliott David: 9/13/12, 5:36pm, 8lbs15oz, 20 1/2" long!

March 4th, 2013, 03:42 PM
curlygirl77's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Aww, Elliott sounds very normal to me! Ok, i am not a dr, but i have five kids and i can tell you they all developed amd progressed at different rates, even in the same family.

My first ds didn't sit until he was 8 months, but rolled well. He walked well after a year.
He was really verbal early on.

My dd Alyssa walked at 10 months, but didn't say anything except 'da' until she was over 14 months.

My dd Holly in contrast sat unassisted at 3 months, crawled at 5 months and walked at 9 months!

Micah doesn't roll ever. If i put her on her belly she is stuck there, lol. She just popped a tooth a few days ago. She sits well but isn't going to crawl anytime soon. Walking? No interest. She puts toys in her mouth but usually prefers sucking a fist.

Seriously, don't worry. He will do things at his own pace. Try not to compare to other babies, it will drive you crazy! Getting teeth early is more to do with genetics than how well he's developing. Try to enjoy the moment, he's a gorgeous little guy and will do stuff when he's good and ready

My beautiful siggy was made by *bokkechick*

March 4th, 2013, 04:42 PM
smashley8's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree, don't worry about his progress at all - every baby is different! Remy will be 5 months in 8 days. Right now, he has only done some fluke rolling several times and doesn't have any interest in doing it again. He does the same thing with his toys - he VERY rarely brings them up to his mouth, but when he does, they don't really get in there - he's good at chewing his fingers though. I bet in 4 weeks when he's Elliott's age, he'll be bringing them up to his mouth a lot more but maybe not fully chewing/eating them yet. He can sit on our bed with pillows propped all around him, but forget it anywhere else, and I'm sure in 4 weeks we'll still be working on that too like Elliott is. As far as the tooth thing goes, be glad that he hasn't cut any yet! Enjoy this time while the painful teething is not ailing him. Every day is a new day for a baby. I'm amazed by what Remy seems to "learn" overnight, simple things like playing with his tongue, banging a toy on something, grabbing for something. It all came suddenly and I never could have predicted it. In a few days, Elliott could start rolling and you'll be wondering why you were ever worried! But if he doesn't, that's okay too. He'll get there mama!

March 4th, 2013, 05:20 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Eve will be 6 months at the end of this month, and I don't think she'll be sitting by then. She isn't even close. She rolls constantly from her back to her tummy, but doesn't usually roll from her tummy to her back, even when she gets mad about being on her stomach. My son didn't sit until after 6 months either. I would ask your pedi for peace of mind if you want, but I don't think it's anything abnormal.
March 4th, 2013, 09:15 PM
karenwalter's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Owen is not sitting at 6.5 months. We had his 6 month check last week and the doctor said they only need to be sitting by 8 months to be considered within normal. I know it's hard not to worry, especially with your first, but in the end, they all catch up. Try not to compare your baby with others. I'm sure if your doctor is concerned, he will let you know.

. Thanks .hOOdihoo.this. for another beautiful siggy!

March 4th, 2013, 09:53 PM
Blessed Mommy Of 5's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I definitely agree with the other ladies! Like Abbie, I also have 5 kids that hit milestones at different ages. Elliott sounds like he is doing just fine! I really do not feel like you have anything to be worried about. I am sure your pediatrician will tell you the same. I know you definitely worry more as a first time mom. I think it is like that for most Mommies! It sounds like Elliott is on track to me. He is able to pick up toys and bring them to his mouth, no reason to be concerned that he mainly chews on his hand and fingers! He has proven that he can roll over, even if it isn't something he does all the time or a lot. He can sit and support himself even if not for long. I saw his pic in his baby bath I think he is hitting his milestones!

I also agree that comparing your baby to other babies his age can drive you crazy! All babies are different and there just really isn't a set age for them to do things! Only time frames, and Elliott is still within the time frames! Stop worrying!! Your precious baby boy is doing great!

March 4th, 2013, 10:40 PM
jojo2bee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Matthew has been the same way. He will be 6 months on the 14th and just like maybe 2 ish weeks ago he finaly rolled from front to back for the first time.he still cant sit on his own and will do the same topple over then cry for you to come fix him. he also has not go any teeth yet either.

they can take up to like almost 12 months to get there first tooth. up to i think 8 months to sit on average. every baby developes at a different rate so in no way is Elliot trailing behind. Matthew to at that lol. Dont worrie about it yet because he is doing just what he needs to be right now.

March 5th, 2013, 07:54 AM
alicenwonderland's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to alicenwonderland
Cora moves quite a bit, but she kinda learned everything at once. One day she was lying on her mat, the next she was rolling and crawling. She still doesn't sit though. She learned by me abandoning her on the floor while tending to her brother.

I found my son was a little behind but caught up. I think reflux pain can be distracting.

March 5th, 2013, 08:50 AM
writerchick324's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You guys are amazing.

It is so reassuring to hear that there are other normal, healthy babies around Elliott's age doing the same sort of stuff! It is tough being a new/FTM and wanting the best for your child. I will mention it at his doc appointment today but I don't feel worried like I used to feel. I think part of it (this will sound very silly) is that Elliott's head is flat in the back on one side. The past month or so he has been touching his hair and such but always on the back of his head where it is flat. The worry wart in me has started thinking crazy scary things such as 1) what if his skull piece there is pressing into his brain and it is bothering him? Or what if the plate edge is pressing into his brain causing discomfort? 2)What if he has a brain tumor and that is the only way he can say it hurts?

AH! I think it is just time for a doctors appointment. I am normally pretty chill with him, he made it being sick for a week without a call to the doc! But now that he finished his sickness and developed a cough, his reflux, etc I think it is a good idea.

Long story short-thank you all for your replies. You really did make me feel better!

Elliott David: 9/13/12, 5:36pm, 8lbs15oz, 20 1/2" long!

March 7th, 2013, 11:23 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well teeth, for sure, is not really a milestone. They'll get them eventually! I know a lady whose younger son didn't get any teeth til after he was 1.

Weston is like a few of the kiddos in here, he will roll from tummy to back if he gets pissed off enough, but has only done back to belly once. I think it was a fluke.

He does put toys in his mouth if they are within reach.

The one thing he doesn't do so well is put pressure on his legs. He will jump a bit in the jumper, but if you hold him up he wont stand on his legs at all.

Sitting is long time away yet!

The only thing I'm going to mention to the doc at 6 month check is the putting pressure on legs. I know everything else will come with strength.

March 7th, 2013, 01:26 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerchick324 View Post
You guys are amazing.

It is so reassuring to hear that there are other normal, healthy babies around Elliott's age doing the same sort of stuff! It is tough being a new/FTM and wanting the best for your child. I will mention it at his doc appointment today but I don't feel worried like I used to feel. I think part of it (this will sound very silly) is that Elliott's head is flat in the back on one side. The past month or so he has been touching his hair and such but always on the back of his head where it is flat. The worry wart in me has started thinking crazy scary things such as 1) what if his skull piece there is pressing into his brain and it is bothering him? Or what if the plate edge is pressing into his brain causing discomfort? 2)What if he has a brain tumor and that is the only way he can say it hurts?

AH! I think it is just time for a doctors appointment. I am normally pretty chill with him, he made it being sick for a week without a call to the doc! But now that he finished his sickness and developed a cough, his reflux, etc I think it is a good idea.

Long story short-thank you all for your replies. You really did make me feel better!
About your flat spot/brain worries...the shape of baby's head will not impede their brain development. My son had plagiocephaly (flat spot on his head) due to congential torticollis. We were assured his brain is A-OK even with the flat spot.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search