We pride ourselves on having the friendliest
and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment
for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers.
If you have any problems registering please drop an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!
I do not know about you guys, but I seriously have summer time on the brain, especially since I am a teacher. I am really looking forward to summer since I will have 3 months off with my little guy. But I am starting to have questions about certain things being a FTM . So I have a few summer questions for everyone
- Are you planning on taking any vacations this summer, with our without kiddos?
- Do you have a preference on any types of water activities for your kiddos? Etc beach, pool, kiddy pool etc.
- What type of sunscreen do you prefer?
- Do you use any types of floatation devices for your kids?
- What type of bathing suit do you use for you baby?
are you planning on taking any vacations this summer, with or without kiddos? nothing planned yet but I want to go camping for sure. I would also like to go to new mexico for the 4th, we have family get togethers down there and lots of my family live there and my family owns sooo much land out there. Its beautiful and I used to spend every summer there growing up. They live in the mountain area also. Anywho I would also like to take a family trip up to gleanwood springs to the hotsprings, its aamazing there to! Then I know DH parents were talking about doing a family cruise but well see... and all with Matthew, I refuse to leave him for more then a work day while im breastfeeding
do you have a preferance on any types of water activities for your kiddos? Beach, pool, kiddy pool etc. no beaches in Colorado unfortunately but pool yes I would to. If we have a house by summer then well probably get a little kiddy pool for Matthew. I would like to take a trip to the hot springs as well
what type of sunscreen do you prefer? I like the spray on kind and like 60 proof for me. Ill go higher for Matthew though but I to am a FTM and would love to hear some opinions on this one. But a high spf baby kind (I use coppertone)
do you use any types of flotation devices for your kids? im getting one for Matthew for sure. I want one he sits in so his butt and legs are in the water and it has a shade cover on top. I would also like to get some sort of floaty body thing to for him
what type of bathing suit do you use for your baby? ive been looking for baby swim trunks but haven't seen anything smaller then 12 months. I would like to know on this one to!
any other tips for summertime fun with babies? im all ears!
Are you planning on taking any vacations this summer, with our without kiddos? Possibly, but it will have to be here in the uk, as i am not getting on a plane with five kids, two carseats, a stroller and a porter crib lol.
- Do you have a preference on any types of water activities for your kiddos? Etc beach, pool, kiddy pool etc. I loved going to the beach when we lived in hawaii, but here not so much. You would probably get hypothermia in the sea lol. My kids have a kiddy pool for the backyard.
- What type of sunscreen do you prefer? anything except bananaboat, my kids burn every time i used it.
- Do you use any types of floatation devices for your kids? I had a little floaty for holly, like an inflatable ring with leg holes, it was great, but i don't have it anymore. I have a little vest/suit that will fit micah soon, with built in floats, those are good too.
- What type of bathing suit do you use for you baby? i use just a disposable swim diaper.
- Any other tips about summertime fun for babies? Talcum powder is really good for getting sand off baby's little toes and bottom after playing at the beach
- Are you planning on taking any vacations this summer, with our without kiddos? We ar HOPING to take a beach vacation this summer with the kids. They love the beach and would never forgive us if we went without them. But, my DH is a civilian employed by the Dept Of Army and looking at a 21 day furlough, so it may not happen this summer. That's another story entirely..but if he's furloughed, the money won't be there and we'll be super tight money wise.
- Do you have a preference on any types of water activities for your kiddos? Etc beach, pool, kiddy pool etc. We LOVE the beach, but it's a vacation for us....we go to Panama City Beach and it's about a 3.5-4 hour drive, but we LIVE at the pool in the summer! We all love it.
- What type of sunscreen do you prefer? I like the spray on type for my kids. They are busy and impatient, so this works great. I use SPF 50 on them. I've read that any SPF over 30 really isn't any more effective, but I use the kids' 50 just because. I do use an SPF 50 Baby lotion-type on their faces, though, and I'll use that on B this summer. I only use SPF 15...I know, I know. But I do like to be dark in the summer and at least I'm using some SPF, lol. I have so many people comment on how tan all the boys get, too. We just don't burn, thankfully! They will tan right through the SPF 50 and that's with me reapplying at least every hour or so.
- Do you use any types of floatation devices for your kids? All of my boys, including the 2.5yr old, can swim, so no flotation in the pool. If we play in the ocean on vacation, obviously they use some. We teach our boys to swim at about 1-2 years old, depending on when their bdays fall. My youngest was almost 2 at the start of last summer and he learned. B will be too young, but we may start teaching her at the end of the summer, depending on how ready she is.
- What type of bathing suit do you use for you baby? The boys wear swimming trunks. I'm not sure about B yet!!!! There's so many cute ones out there! I can't wait to shop for them! I can totally see her in a cute little (modest, obviously) 2 piece or tankini this summer!
- Any other tips about summertime fun for babies? Try to keep them on their sleep schedules as much as you can. There's no worse combination then a tired baby in sun and heat. It will make them, and in turn you, miserable!!! I like to bring a sun tent and a battery-operated fan if we're spending the day at the pool or the beach so that they can nap as normal in the tent and be cool.
Also, and I'm sure even the FTM already know this because there's so much info out there on this, but when you put sunscreen on your baby, make sure you get EVERYWHERE that's exposed! Some people forget their heads (if they have hair, I would still rub in their scalp since baby hair is much finer and thiner) and their ears, feet and toes, etc... often missed spots
*~*~ Katie; Mommy to 3 fun-loving boys, one sweet little baby girl, and #5 on the way! *~*~
Last edited by RunningMommyTo5; March 6th, 2013 at 05:40 AM.