pumping, ouch!

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 6th, 2013, 06:18 AM
curlygirl77's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would appreciate any pumping tips!

I was given a free manual pump yesterday and although i bf all my babies, i have never pumped before. I did well, got almost 5 oz on my first try, but it was super painful! Am i doing it wrong or is it just something i have to get used to?

My beautiful siggy was made by *bokkechick*

March 6th, 2013, 07:20 AM
Blessed Mommy Of 5's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't have much pumping experience. I have a double electric pump that I used for a while. I stopped pumping because I couldn't get Kyah to take a bottle for nothing in the world! I have never tried using a manual pump. I would assume that it pretty much works the same just one is manual and the other electric. I really don't think it should hurt. It didn't hurt when I pumped. I know my electric pump has several suction settings that range from soft to much harder. Maybe your pump just has too much suction power? Are you making sure your nipple/areola are centered into the pump correctly? I was thinking maybe it was off a bit? Maybe try placing a warm damp towel around/on your breast to help relax?

Hmm. I wish I could be of more help! I bet some of the other Mommies will have some great advice

March 6th, 2013, 07:31 AM
writerchick324's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The only time pumping hurt me was when the flanges were too small. Your nipple should not rub up against the side of any part of the flange. It may also hurt when you are done and there is no milk but you are still on high suction. Try high for the left down then go to slow (I think that is the way it works). Mine was a double electric and had different speeds but I just used the same speed throughout my pumping session.

Elliott David: 9/13/12, 5:36pm, 8lbs15oz, 20 1/2" long!

March 6th, 2013, 02:43 PM
jojo2bee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
With the manuel pump you can control speed and suction. I know with mine (I have a double electric with a manuel adapter) it has a super strong suction when you squeeze it all the way and it hurts when I do. So just squeeze lightly and you csn squeeze harder if you need to later. Another thing is put lanolin on before pumping, it helps them slide better. And same with the flange size, it can be to small.

Other then that I dont see how else it would be hurting. And thats a great amount to pump to. I do know it takes some time getting used to pumping so I would also say give it a couple days and go from there. I hope I helped a bit!

March 6th, 2013, 03:18 PM
aislin22's Avatar Regular
maybe the horn is too small? Can you try different sizes? Another thing you may want to check for is a milk bleb. (blister) I have one at the moment and it makes pumping and nursing so painful. It looks like a small whitehead on the nipple. (Sorry if you already know what they are) I have been trying to get rid of one for a few days now. Soak it in warm water or take a hot shower and put baby on it right away. Hope you can get more comfortable!
March 6th, 2013, 06:47 PM
alicenwonderland's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to alicenwonderland
i think you have the pressure too high. It shouldn't hurt.

With a manual pump, I would start on the lowest setting and then pump until you start to get drops, then turn it up until you get a stream, but its not painful and do your pumping from there.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search