I feel like giving up

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree31Likes
  • 7 Post By MosaicWife
  • 2 Post By acchickpea
  • 5 Post By therevslady
  • 2 Post By Mrs.Julie
  • 3 Post By Carwen*Angel
  • 2 Post By Blessed.Life
  • 1 Post By Sherry777
  • 1 Post By 2pinks&ablue
  • 2 Post By Mountain~Mama
  • 5 Post By aubers68
  • 1 Post By 20ghanover

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 6th, 2013, 06:42 AM
aubers68's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
First off sorry I haven't been around as much as usual. To be honest I haven't really even lurked much. I've just been a little out of it after being sick for almost a full week.

I'm really getting to the point where I want to stop nursing. I love the bond between Summer and I but I've pretty much worried on and off about supply ever since she was born. While I had it under control with prescription pills I slowly weaned and things were going fine. Now, I think, *once again* that I might be having an issue. She hasn't gained not one ounce in over two weeks, which I sort of don't get because I nurse on both sides and am feeding her stage two Gerber foods twice a day. Now, the past two days (and this morning) she's been really fussy at the boob. Almost like she has no interest in even nursing longer then like two minutes. Making me feel like maybe she's not getting much so she doesn't want to be latched on. I don't know if it's plummeted from being sick or if it's all in my head like usual.

Those issues aside.... my weight is REALLY getting to me. I've been trying to log on MFP but I just can't get my eating habits under control. And I've noticed the days that I eat less are also days Summer nurses for a shorter periods of time and gets super finicky at the boob. (yet another thing that makes me worry about supply) I just don't know what to do. I'm sick of being heavy and having nothing to wear. I can't stand looking at myself in a mirror. Even my reflection on glass makes me sick. I wish eating healthy was a good habit I could learn to have but I never feel satisfied with foods that are better for me! I've always struggled with my weight because of this, and on top of it the PCOS doesn't help and now I've gotten to an all time low. I was 10lbs from pre pregnancy weight (which was still considered obese) and now I'm 20lbs heavier then THAT. I'm a mess.

But back to the main issue here... I really want to make it to one year nursing but I hate these feelings. Why can't she just be gaining more and why can't I KNOW I'm producing enough. I wish this all came easier for me and I didn't have to have all these issues worrying me and getting me down.

March 6th, 2013, 06:55 AM
MosaicWife's Avatar Missa
Oh sweetie you need a hug. You're doing great. She's thriving, she's just a peanut. If she's not gaining weight and also eating solids it's just her metabolism. You're right though about eating less and producing less. You can't really diet while breastfeeding. You can eat healthy but you need calories. Are you drinking enough water? Water is a major need when nursing. I thinkyou're doing fine and i'm a big advocate of BFing however, if you really think you're done and it's depressing you then it's ok to stop. You will be able to diet once you wean and if that's something that is really important to you then do what will make you happy. You BF this long which is longer than most. You also have the option of supplementing and giving solids but still nursing for comfort so you still have that time with Summer. Whatever you choose is fine. Don't beat yourself up over it.

March 6th, 2013, 06:58 AM
acchickpea's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Big hugs to you...
Getting back on track is tough but it sooooo can be done.

The big question is do you really feel the need to BF Summer? Would you be ok with her going on formula? I had that mentality that I was only going to BF but then I also couldn't supply as much as Leo could eat... He was never satisfied and was fussy after.. it was like 30min on each side and still fussy after... I know BF is the ultimate choice but if it's making you miserable and tired it's ok to do formula..... When I switched to formula I felt so much better... I missed the bond but I could also bond with him in many other ways. I felt like I had more time for other things.. Less stuck in one place if that means anything...

You and me both with the weight and body issue... It's really difficult to get on track and lose the baby weight. I hate the fact that I have nothing to wear... But I keep those clothes around so that it'll be my goal to get back into it... I'm not starving myself but am cautiously watching the portions that I eat. I do splurge but in moderation... ;P Don't make it seem like a chore and you will be ok... I'm in your same shoes but we can DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!
Carwen*Angel and aubers68 like this.
March 6th, 2013, 07:21 AM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
MFP gives 500 extra calories if you log breastfeeding? Are you doing that? Also- this is a typical age for a HUGE growth spurt. I know my own supply feels pretty low lately, and I usually have an oversupply with lots of leaking. I've been dry as a bone lately. And Rowan has been eating every 1.5-2 hours again and waking up 1-2 extra times at night.

I totally feel you on the weight loss thing. I'm heavier right now than I have ever been in my life. And I always keep weight on while nursing. It is IMPOSSIBLE for me to lose the rest of this weight until I wean. I've just sort of surrendered to that. For some people that is a huge issue. For me it bothers me every day, but I'm too busy with my other kids to worry about it most of the time.

I just wanted to give you some encouragement though. You've done such a great job. I hope you figure something out that makes you feel like you are doing the best thing for all of you. No matter what you decide, I hope you can leave mommy guilt aside. You are doing so wonderful.

March 6th, 2013, 09:27 AM
Mrs.Julie's Avatar Mommy to 3 Princesses
Now that Ive had 3 kiddies, Ive learned that :
1. My supply takes a major hit if I try to cut calories, even a little.
2. My supply takes a huge dive if my sleep suffers.
3. My supply takes a huge dive if I work out or even if Im super busy, like going to the zoo for the day...and lastly
4. I dont lose weight as long as Im breast feeding.

I have learned to live with the fact that Im not going to lose much weight. Its worth it to me, but its a very personal thing. Yeah, sometimes in the back of my head Im thnking, maybe start weening so I can get in shape again? But I know its not best for Katalina to ween yet. I think around 6 months many mommies feel their babies arent satisfied nursing. They go through a growth spurt and need more so it seems they arent getting enough. But they are!!! So many mommies give up because they think their baby needs more than theyre able to give but your body was made to do this! And it can do it.

Just rest, drink water, and eat some grains. I bet your like me and just wont lose the weight until you ween. Its not that far away!!!
(by the way, i was reading a study that suggested a huge percentage of women who return to their pp weight stop breastfeeding before 6 months due to lack of supply)
Carwen*Angel and therevslady like this.

March 6th, 2013, 09:42 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
I think the ladies gave you some wonderful advice here, Aubrey.

I'm going to give you the perspective of a mama who has always found breastfeeding tough, even though I know it's the ideal.

Your health and happiness is important too. Happy mom equals happy baby and if you are getting down about this to THAT extent, that's no good for Summer. I take my hat off to every one of you who's made it BFing this far, I really do. It may be the natural thing to do, but it's also in all truth HARD for a lot of us to breastfeed along with the demands of modern life. You have done wonderfully for her BFing for so long. She has had all the benefits of gaining immunities from you and all-natural nutrients for her first half a year and more.

It's a big decision which only you can make, but I just want to say that if you feel in your heart you are not going to become any happier until you can stop and tend to yourself, and as a result you feel it's time to stop, that is 100% ok AND DOES NOT MAKE YOU ANY LESS OF A WONDERFUL MOM.

Huge and I am always there in PMs xxxx

March 6th, 2013, 11:09 AM
Blessed.Life's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
HUge Hugs love. I often struggle with breast feeding as well. It is stressful. You have fed Summer for wayyy longer then most at this point! You should be SOOO proud! Don't beat yourself up or stress. You need to do what is best for the BOTH of you! Even if you decide to supplement you can still get the bonding from great feeding. Just because you give her formula doesn't mean you need to stop entirely!
Carwen*Angel and therevslady like this.
March 6th, 2013, 01:34 PM
Sherry777's Avatar Blessed Mommy
Any illness can cause a dip in your supply. Stress can do the same. Just remember there is a huge growth spurt at her age, and weight gain starts to even out around this time as well. They aren't gaining as rapidly at this point. Also, you have to take into consideration what is normal for her. Not all babies are going to be heavy or gain quickly. If you are nursing on both sides and feeding her foods, you are doing well. As long as you are offering your breasts before feeding solids each session, you shouldn't be losing any of your supply from doing solids.

Even Pippa is nursing more often right now. She also takes less time for each nursing session. I would think that is quite normal. Some babies only nurse less than 5 minutes and want to move on to more entertaining things.

All that aside, you do what makes you happy. You have done a great job nursing her, and you have moved heaven and earth to make sure she gets as much breast milk as possible.

As far as weight, I'm gaining from being hungry all the time. However, it's my choices (donuts are a particular weakness). I think if you eat certain foods, you can still lose weight while nursing- even easier than if you stopped nursing- since you burn extra calories. It just takes some research.

Just relax and have complete faith in your body. You're doing an awesome job.
Carwen*Angel likes this.

March 6th, 2013, 02:29 PM
TKbunny's Avatar Elias's slave..err..Mommy
Sounds like you're getting some great advice from the other ladies, but I just wanted to offer hugs and T&P for you. I know you'll come out on top of this, Aubrey. You're a wonderful mother and Summer is most likely going through a huge growth spurt. Elias eats like a horse and still isn't gaining much at all, so I'm sure it's just that the babies have a high metabolism. It'll be alright, honey.

Lots of love.

March 6th, 2013, 02:54 PM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
Huge hugs! If it's something that's important to you, I wouldn't give up on it yet. Like the other ladies said- illness, stress, not enough water, not enough sleep, etc. However, if you think you would feel better with formula, then that may be the way to go.

As far as the losing weight, sometimes plain old healthy food (fresh fruit and veggies alone) just isn't enough, but if you can find some good healthy recipes to try, it might make a huge difference.

All in all, you need to do what's going to make you happy!
hopesNdreams likes this.
March 6th, 2013, 02:56 PM
Mountain~Mama's Avatar ThePastHasNoPowerOverMe
I'm sending huge hugs too. You have done a FABULOUS job and have stuck it out longer than most people will. You should be very proud of yourself!!

I want to reiterate what Sherry said about being sick and having a dip in supply especially of you took any cold medicine. It might not hurt to give it a week or so before you decide to quit to see if your supply comes back.

Whatever you do you are an excellent mother and you've got a lot to be proud of!!
2pinks&ablue and hopesNdreams like this.
March 6th, 2013, 05:19 PM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
I don't have a lot to add that the others haven't said, but I want to reiterate you have done a fabulous job so far and you would in no way be failing Summer.

As moms we tend to always put our LOs first, when sometimes we need to something for us in order to make it better for them. But as others suggested, maybe give it a week now that you're getting back to normal.

As for MFP, I'm going to PM you.

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
March 6th, 2013, 06:19 PM
You ladies are so awesome. Thank you so much for making me feel better and giving my day some light. I'm going to keep up with the nursing to see how things go and probably start taking the Domperidone to see if it helps any. I really hope that I can manage my supply and losing at least some weight by slowly getting this eating thing down and possibly hitting the gym a few times a week.

March 6th, 2013, 07:42 PM
magz88's Avatar First Time Mum
I think you are a trooper for sticking with the breastfeeding.

You can still eat 'junk' food and lose weight. Just eat less of it.
March 7th, 2013, 06:38 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Big big hugs!

I have no feedback on the breastfeeding since I didn't do it but I have something that *might* help on the weight loss front. I too have PCOS and I also struggle with my weight and with eating habits.

About 10 days ago, I was in your shoes with being SO tired and SO sick of being SO unhappy with my weight and decided just to "pull the nose up" as my husband says. I started on a plan I've been researching for a long time that I did prior to getting pregnant with Millie, when I got Hyperemesis and my eating fell to "whatever doesn't make me puke" which usually meant hashbrowns and sweet tea. But I digress.

The plan is Dr Fuhrman's Eat to Live - there's a great book to buy and website to view. I have done it off and on but never really committed until 10 days ago. I have completely eliminated: Caffeine, Meat, Dairy, Bread, Oil, Salt, Alcohol, Sweeteners, Processed Food. The first three days SUCKED. I hard knuckled it and got through the cravings by drinking a ton of water, taking tylenol for the withdrawal headaches, and looking at old pictures of me when I was much much lighter And then something magical happened......Day 4. I felt AMAZING! And it hasn't gone away since. Like I said I'm only on day 10, but I've lost 8 lbs already and I have completely lost my cravings for sweets and junk (and meat in fact). As an example, I am sitting in a luxury hotel room right now in California with M&Ms, Chips, Nuts, etc....and I can look at them without caring.

The plan is basically this:

all the fruit you want (berries are the best nutritionally)
aim for 1 lb raw greens daily (big ***** salad)
aim for 1 lb of steamed greens daily (I do frozen steamed spinach and LOVE it)
cooked mushrooms & onions
1 cup of beans
1 cup of healthy grain (i love using this for oatmeal in the morning or quinoa at night)
2 oz of nuts/seeds

I'm on an online group of people committed to doing it for 6 weeks and there are breastfeeding mamas there too.

Like I said, I feel amazing. Wake up bright, have tons of energy, skin looks amazing, and weight loss was awesome. Plus, I feel strongly about the nutritional benefits for elimination of cancer & disease through diet. I am a FREAK about the way my kids eat in terms of nutrition (I follow Dr Fuhrman's "Disease Proof Your Child") so I decided it was time to be a FREAK about my own nutrition, so I can be alive to see them grow up and prosper.

I hate when people give me diet advice but I wanted to share this because I have been in your shoes. And especially with PCOS and the issues with glucose intolerance, this is a really really great plan to follow.

Big hugs.
aubers68 likes this.
March 8th, 2013, 07:57 AM
ufmelissa824's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh Aubrey, I can totally relate. I have always struggled with my weight and I'm still carrying 20 extra lbs of baby weight on top of already being overweight. I only have 1 pair of jeans that really fit and I really want to get back on track.

I've been supplementing Emily since the beginning so I don't feel as guilty anymore about my supply issues but it's hard when you reach that crossroads of weaning and feeling better about yourself or continuing to BF. Just do what's best for you. My ped always told me to at least try and make it to 6 months and then go from there so I feel like anytime past that has been a bonus.

March 8th, 2013, 06:30 PM
I seriously could never do that. I give you major major props. I love my meat too much. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20ghanover View Post
Big big hugs!

I have no feedback on the breastfeeding since I didn't do it but I have something that *might* help on the weight loss front. I too have PCOS and I also struggle with my weight and with eating habits.

About 10 days ago, I was in your shoes with being SO tired and SO sick of being SO unhappy with my weight and decided just to "pull the nose up" as my husband says. I started on a plan I've been researching for a long time that I did prior to getting pregnant with Millie, when I got Hyperemesis and my eating fell to "whatever doesn't make me puke" which usually meant hashbrowns and sweet tea. But I digress.

The plan is Dr Fuhrman's Eat to Live - there's a great book to buy and website to view. I have done it off and on but never really committed until 10 days ago. I have completely eliminated: Caffeine, Meat, Dairy, Bread, Oil, Salt, Alcohol, Sweeteners, Processed Food. The first three days SUCKED. I hard knuckled it and got through the cravings by drinking a ton of water, taking tylenol for the withdrawal headaches, and looking at old pictures of me when I was much much lighter And then something magical happened......Day 4. I felt AMAZING! And it hasn't gone away since. Like I said I'm only on day 10, but I've lost 8 lbs already and I have completely lost my cravings for sweets and junk (and meat in fact). As an example, I am sitting in a luxury hotel room right now in California with M&Ms, Chips, Nuts, etc....and I can look at them without caring.

The plan is basically this:

all the fruit you want (berries are the best nutritionally)
aim for 1 lb raw greens daily (big ***** salad)
aim for 1 lb of steamed greens daily (I do frozen steamed spinach and LOVE it)
cooked mushrooms & onions
1 cup of beans
1 cup of healthy grain (i love using this for oatmeal in the morning or quinoa at night)
2 oz of nuts/seeds

I'm on an online group of people committed to doing it for 6 weeks and there are breastfeeding mamas there too.

Like I said, I feel amazing. Wake up bright, have tons of energy, skin looks amazing, and weight loss was awesome. Plus, I feel strongly about the nutritional benefits for elimination of cancer & disease through diet. I am a FREAK about the way my kids eat in terms of nutrition (I follow Dr Fuhrman's "Disease Proof Your Child") so I decided it was time to be a FREAK about my own nutrition, so I can be alive to see them grow up and prosper.

I hate when people give me diet advice but I wanted to share this because I have been in your shoes. And especially with PCOS and the issues with glucose intolerance, this is a really really great plan to follow.

Big hugs.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search