Constipation?

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By RunningMommyTo5
  • 1 Post By DaniM0820

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 11th, 2013, 10:38 AM
DaniM0820's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
For the past few days, Jordan has seemed to have trouble pooping. He will have moments where he fusses and grunts, and his face has even turned beet red from him straining, then he cries. Most of the time he does this nothing comes out, and when it finally does, it is hard. He never had this issue before and I don't know what to do.

He is still only on breastmilk, other than 1-2oz of purees twice a day. He has been eating and peeing normally and has been on the solids for almost a month now. We haven't introduced a new food other than yesterday with oats, but he has had this problem since Friday. Some of the things he's eaten the past few days have been green peas, bananas, apples, avacado, pears, and now the oat cereal. Could he possibly be eating too many foods that are making him constipated? Are there certain foods I should avoid until he starts pooping regularly again?

Is there anything I can do for him to help him go? I haven't ever given him water or juice, though I'm not sure if I should. He will be 6 months old on Wednesday.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated!
thanks!

March 11th, 2013, 12:02 PM
RunningMommyTo5's Avatar Marathoning Mom to 4!
It could be some of the foods. My boys would sometimes get a little constipated. Bailey hasn't yet, but I'm sure it'll come at some point occasionally. There are a couple of things you can do. One is prunes. My boys loved them and they were always a sure fire way of making them go. If he's a little stopped up, the prunes will get things moving. Another is apple juice...a small amount mixed with some water is ok after 6 months old. It can get things moving, too, and our pediatriciam only recommends using juice when they're stopped up. What I did with the boys was a "double whammy" for getting them going, LOL. I made my own baby food, so I'd buy the prunes, soak them for a few hours to a day until they were nice, plump, and re-hydrated in apple juice. Then I'd dump them in the blender with a bit more juice and puree them until nice and smooth, to the thickness/thinness he prefers. A couple ounces of these super prunes and he'll clean out his gut for sure, LOL!
Brandiwine3 and DaniM0820 like this.
*~*~ Katie; Mommy to 3 fun-loving boys, one sweet little baby girl, and #5 on the way! *~*~

March 11th, 2013, 02:44 PM
jojo2bee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I feed Matthew something different each meal so I dont think its the combo of food. I have herd that bananas are sposed to help when they get constipated but I did notice Matthew do something like hat when I was giving him just bananas during the allergy awarness time and he had thicker poops. Also Matthew has done that in the past and I'm pretty sure it was just him finding a new noise/thing that he could do. he still grunts once in a while now to.

March 12th, 2013, 05:11 AM
Thanks Katie! I don't have any prunes on hand but we tried some diluted apple juice. Didn't work as it took Jordan over 2 hours to get to sleep last night because every time I put him down he would start straining and grunting I also make my own baby food, so I'll be hitting the grocery store today for some prunes!

Jolina I don't think it's just a new noise for him since he does seem to be in pain when he does it, and it looks like he's really trying to push something out with his face getting all red

March 12th, 2013, 01:34 PM
karenwalter's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would avoid the apples and oatmeal until he's going regularly again. Sometimes their bodies just have to adjust to eating solids, but of the foods you're giving him, those 2 could contribute to it some. Hopefully he adjusts and feels better soon.

. Thanks .hOOdihoo.this. for another beautiful siggy!

March 12th, 2013, 02:10 PM
Hi there,

My daughter who is 5 1/2 months old is currently constipated and has been having the exact symptoms that you have described. When I noticed the discomfort she was in, I did a little research on my own and decided to stop giving her the (small amount) of rice cereal that I was doing each morning (which is a big reason for constipation in the little ones), give her pureed prunes, and to also give her a pro-biotic (Bio Gaia), her symptoms did not improve over the weekend so I took her to the pediatrician yesterday and was told that the Bio Gaia can be helpful in some circumstances, and that feeding her prunes, peas, peaches, pears are all helpful and to also not puree these 100% (which I haven't done yet as I'm a bit hesitant to do this). We were also given a liquid stool softener to help make her bowel movements more comfortable. The pediatrician told us to forgo the rice cereal until her movements are back on track.
March 12th, 2013, 04:51 PM
curlygirl77's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Bananas and cereal can make them constipated. i recommend doing what katie suggested, or you can even buy a bottle of prune juice and mix a little with his food. Poor little guy, i hope he goes soon, that has to be miserable!

My beautiful siggy was made by *bokkechick*

March 12th, 2013, 05:58 PM
smashley8's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Poor guy!!! Hope he feels better soon!

March 13th, 2013, 01:47 PM
He had a horrible night so we had to go to the doc this am. He said everyone I've done so far was good, and suggested giving 2oz of water after each meal and possibly some prune juice. He also said to try liquid glycerine, which we did and he finally went! Some of what came out was harder than it should have been but he seems happier! I'm going to keep up with the water/prune juice and some fruits until he's going regularly again.

Thanks for all the advice!
RunningMommyTo5 likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search