PPD & anti-depressants

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

View Poll Results: Are you taking anti-depressants?
yes 6 27.27%
no 16 72.73%
lurking but wanted to vote! 0 0%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By emeraldeyedimp

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 12th, 2013, 07:57 AM
LadyCoconut's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm just curious how many of us are on anti-depressants right now. I feel like for a lot of people PPD is still a 'hush hush' thing and I'm wondering if I'll be surprised by the results. Regardless of if you're on them for PPD or if youv'e been on them for depression that was going on before this... vote yes/no in the poll! its annonymous!

March 12th, 2013, 08:10 AM
Mountain~Mama's Avatar ThePastHasNoPowerOverMe
I'm on zoloft but honestly I suck at remembering to take it unless I"m having a craptastic day. But I'm not afraid to admit it. Although I'm not 100% sure my depression is actually ppd, my life just turned to a ****storm right at that time.
March 12th, 2013, 10:15 AM
HippieLove's Avatar Modern Day Brady Bunch
Send a message via MSN to HippieLove
I don't have PPD, just because I've had a baby recently doesn't make it PPD. I have situational depression and anxiety. Lately, its really freaking bad. I have an appointment to see my psychologist tomorrow and I haven't needed to see him in almost 6 months so I'm really bummed about that. I'm also going to accept meds this time because for the first time in my ife I'm admitting that I can't handle it on my own anyore and if I don't do something... I just don't know where I will end up.

Emma, girlfriend of Loz, future step-mama to J (15) and K (10), Mama to Jaelah (8), Oliver (5), Mianna (4) and Harper (2), WTTC our first together, in 2015.
March 12th, 2013, 12:27 PM
tryingfornumber1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I know I have PPD. Along with my bipolar, we've been really struggling.
March 12th, 2013, 02:39 PM
Mom2JDub's Avatar (formerly junie22)
Big hugs to those of you struggling.

I have "off" days, and I've been a bit melancholy for the past few weeks. However, it's not PPD or really depression. I think it's more motivated by being sad that Jack is in daycare and I'm not able to be with him 24/7.

March 12th, 2013, 04:41 PM
amyinwonderland's Avatar Rylan & Delaney's Mommy
Another Zoloft here. I have struggled with depression for most of my life but I have had more of post partum anxiety than depression. I didn't even ask my OB/Gyn for meds...I think it must have been evident to her at my PP check-up that I was really stressed out.
March 12th, 2013, 04:45 PM
Mega Super Mommy
no but im starting to feel like i should be :,/ some days are a serious battle just to get out of bed...I've called into work, ive said F*** it to my cleaning...if it wasnt for tuckr i seriously wouldnt move somedays...but someones gotta do it...
its gotten marginally better with getting back into training...
there is something theraputic about punching people in the face...
but i have battled silently with anxiety all of my life. i have never been medicated but now that i am a mom i feel myself seriously losing it soemtimes over silly little things...
im just afraid of how to ask for help...
i dont want to be seen as weak and i am afraid that its all in my head and i actually dont have a problem im just crazy :/

March 12th, 2013, 05:52 PM
aubers68's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm not on anything but think I might be becoming depressed. Mostly about my weight. I have my moments.

March 13th, 2013, 12:37 AM
emeraldeyedimp's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Just stopping in to check on things, haven't been around much the past couple of weeks but saw this post and had to add.

I suffer from anxiety and depression, and actually am a different form of bi-polar, and I was totally against taking meds; thought that they were over prescribed and that people used them as a crutch , I even tried them for a bit after I had a bit of breakdown after I left my 1st husband. They didn't do anything great so I stopped taking them. Few more years went by and I had another breakdown, it was pretty bad so I saw a doctor and they told me the dose I had before was WAY too low. Anyways they tell you it takes like 6 weeks before you will notice a change and it was by the end of the week that I was feeling better, more in control of myself and my emotions. I had never felt this way before. I still use them and think of it this way; yes I could go through life and not take the medication but being able to have more control of my feelings and emotions is a much better way of life.

Didn't mean it to be so long but just wanted to share in case it can help anyone struggling with not wanting to take meds.

Thanks to Jaques for the super cute siggy. Marshall is loving being paired with Hannah, she is super sweet.
March 13th, 2013, 03:06 AM
Mega Super Mommy
On paxil here. It makes all the difference in the world. I was angry, anxious, sad, and just blah ALL the time. The meds help me focus and feel more like me again.

Thank you Vicki for my wonderful siggy.

March 13th, 2013, 08:23 AM
Sherry777's Avatar Blessed Mommy
In 2006, I took Lexapro, and it was a horrible experience. I wanted to cope with some huge life changes after my son was born. For me, medication compounded the problem. I am one of those people who seems to get every side effect a medication can have. I literally felt like I was going crazy. I vowed I would never again take a medication for stress.

My PPD was huge this time. I wasn't sad, but worried constantly. After a loss in 2011, I worried about Pippa constantly. It is just now, at 7 months postpartum, starting to ease up some.

March 13th, 2013, 12:33 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Not this time around, but I had PPD with my first two kids. I took Zoloft after Isla was born.

March 13th, 2013, 01:15 PM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
I'm on amitriptyline for IBS (mine is triggered mostly by stress/anxiety) and insomnia which kicked in after Michaela was born. I was on it before TTC as well for the IBS.

I don't think I have depression but then I didn't after Daniel until I looked back on the period and thought maybe in retrospect I did. I do wonder whether I have a bit of post traumatic stress disorder though. In any case the meds make a huge difference. I feel more like myself and like I can actually function. I sleep now.

I went as long as I could before asking to go back on them so Michaela could have my breast milk but I had started to have some dark thoughts with the sleep deprivation that I had never had before in my life, so I am not ashamed to say I'm on meds and I think it's the best and most sensible thing all around.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search