Pubic Fat Pad...anyone else?

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By RunningMommyTo5
  • 1 Post By Brandiwine3

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 13th, 2013, 06:49 AM
Veteran
Hi ladies! Hope you are all well! As most of you know, we had our first boy on Sept 6 of last year, Liam James. With our girls, the pubic fat pad was never an issue. My husband and I decided to have our son circumcised shortly after his birth. Being we'd never "cared" for a boy's parts (we have 2 girls, I have sisters, and hubby is an only child), it was all new. My sister has two boys and advised I pull the foreskin back to clean it thoroughly, as did the nurses instruct when he was born. This is EXACTLY what I thought we were doing. So, anyways....on to my question. For nearly 4 months, ea visit to the ped., I'd ask if "it" looked ok. Liam is very chunky and his little wee almost inverts itself in the pubic fat pad once you release it from cleaning. We actually have to take our index and middle finger, place it in a "V" and press down on each side of his penis to get it to pop out for cleaning. Each time, she (not our preferred but the dr. available on my Fridays off from the office) told us all looked ok. Finally, I was able to get my monkey in to see our fmly doctor (4 mo. visit), whom I like much better, and he, w/o hesitation or w/o my asking him to do so, checked his circumcision. To my surprise, we were retracting the skin but, apparently, not far enough. The skin had began to reattach itself. So, the doc used some antiseptic/ointment and gently tugged it back (he said we caught it in time). And, although Liam didn't squirm or fuss much, I still felt horrible...and a little ticked that the other doctor had not realized this before, even with my prompting her to check and probing questions. Our preferred (male) doctor has assured me that this is common (the pubic fat pad with retraction and/or inverted appearance and the high occurrence of skin reattaching). All of our babies were very chunky and leaned out once they began to crawl/walk. The doctor tells me that this "fat pad" will disappear as he gets older. Does anyone have any experience with this? I am very much aware that many parents choose not to circumcise their sons - it is just that, a personal and individual choice. Thanks so much for the advice, ladies!
March 13th, 2013, 06:57 AM
RunningMommyTo5's Avatar Marathoning Mom to 4!
We had this issue with our boys, too! They were all extremely chunky and had the fat pad issue. What your dr said is exactly right. Just follow his instructions and trust him. With our first boy, we had the same issue. It was caught at his 2mo visit. We had not been pulling it back far enough, either. He had to show me how to do it, so don't feel bad there. It happens!!!!

I'm on the opposite end now. I've cared for three boys myself, and have 2 brothers, DH's sister is 12 yrs older than him, so we had zero experience with girls. It was all new to us! Even our parents told us that it had been so long since they cared for girls (I'm 32 and DH's sister is 44) that it was like the first time again for them, as well.

You'll get it all and feel like a pro with boys really quickly.
Brandiwine3 likes this.
*~*~ Katie; Mommy to 3 fun-loving boys, one sweet little baby girl, and #5 on the way! *~*~

March 13th, 2013, 07:04 AM
Veteran
Thank you for the reassurance, Katie! I was so very apprehensive when we found out we were having a boy (just b/c I felt like we knew what to do with girls) but, once I warmed up to the idea (about a wk or so), I was consumed with joy! His smile lights up our world. GOD has a wonderful plan for our lives and I'm so glad he blessed us with this little guy!
RunningMommyTo5 likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search