Finger Foods

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By one.juniper

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 13th, 2013, 01:02 PM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
As lots of you are doing BLW I'm sure you've found lots of finger foods your baby will chew on.

I gave Michaela an apple biscotti (especially for babies) today and she loved it! She sucked it to death, chewed it a bit and successfully managed to eat most of it.

Am now thinking of giving her a piece of banana "as is", perhaps a cooked (soft) carrot stick, or a cooked (soft) head of broccoli, as I know she likes the TASTE of all those things pureed, to see if she'll also adapt to the texture and give them a go.

Any more finger food suggestions?

March 13th, 2013, 01:11 PM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
Cooked carrots are Cam's favourite! He gets bananas as is all the time too. He's not so much a fan of broccoli lol. He's had apple (but hates applesauce), and I have pears to try this week. Also melons to suck on could be fun! Not sure what your produce is like this time year, but its hard to get nice fruit and veggies here right now.

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
March 13th, 2013, 02:50 PM
magz88's Avatar First Time Mum
I gave Theo orange pieces to suck on yesterday. He liked them.
March 13th, 2013, 02:53 PM
one.juniper's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to one.juniper
Cooked plain rice is a good finger food but a bit hard for them to get in their mouth without the pincer grip. Wheneve we have rice for dinner I put some on his highchair tray and he usually gets some in his mouth.

Cucumber and sweet pepper slices are good.

I mentioned in the other food thread that I made Oz banana pancakes. One banana mashed up, one egg whisked in and then fried in a pan just like a pancake. I cut them in strips and froze them and give them to Oz frozen. That goes over very well.

I also ground up some minute oats in my food processor and if I give him a slice of something slimy like banana I roll it in the oat powder first so that Oz has some traction when he's trying to hold it.

I don't know how Michaela is with cold stuff but I'm keen to give this a try with Oz - http://www.thespunkycoconut.com/2012...food-pops.html I don't have any popsicle molds though.

I also read grating foods is a good way to introduce finger foods that are firm but you don't want to cook. I.e. grate up some cheese or raw hard fruits/veggies with a cheese grater. I haven't tried this.
Carwen*Angel likes this.

Pinterest
Flickr
March 14th, 2013, 12:27 PM
Platinum Supermommy
In the last week or so we've started to give Hadley finger foods. She's got the grasp down pat now and happily feeds herself puffs. I've let her chew on apples and broccoli before, she liked the apple not so much the broccoli.

March 14th, 2013, 12:49 PM
AllyssaM's Avatar Emmersyns Mommah
Adalyn has had a lot. Off the top of my head: carrots steamed in the micro to soften them up, apples that I stuck in the micro for 10-15 sec to soften up, banana, broccoli steamed, avocado, beans, Cheerios, potatoes without the skin... There's plenty out there they can have!

March 15th, 2013, 12:37 PM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
As I posted in Sherry's thread, she choked momentarily on a biscotti yesterday and it has put me off "hard" finger foods because I have a horrendous fear of choking with my kids (which is what puts me off BLW in the first place).

I'm liking the popsicle idea Jenn! I haven't tried her with cold stuff yet but I think I will go for that as a new thing for her to try. Thanks!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search