I am so traumatized!!!

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Starstrydergrrl

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 14th, 2013, 10:19 PM
aislin22's Avatar Regular
yesterday was the worst day of my life. (probably Olivia's too) OMG I am so upset still! I don't know if I am way overreacting but this is what happened...

Olivia has been going through a bit of a sleep regression episode. (Thankfully it seems to be over.) I was elated when she was eager to take a nap yesterday at 3. I laid her down with no issue and I went to my room to lie down too. I was watching videos online and tinkering around on facebook when I heard her cough every couple minutes or so on the baby monitor. I didn't think anything of it because she has had a runny nose for about a week and assumed she was coming down with a cold.

I went in to check on her and she was still and I saw her breathing so I assumed she was just making noises in her sleep. I went back to my room. She coughed a couple more times. It was a soft cough and she wasn't making any other sounds at all but I went in to check on her again and noticed her hair was wet. I thought she may have spit up and rolled in it so I went to go pick her up to clean her up.

She was lying on her tummy as usual, but I was completely horrified to she she was lying in a pool extending about an inch around her body of vomit. I picked her up and she was so ghastly pale and limp. she continued to throw up constantly and was completely soaked through both her pajamas and sleep suit. I am a FTM, I have no experience with kids whatsoever so instantly I panic. She didn't even cry. She honestly didn't even look like my child. I have never seen so anyone throw up so much in my life. She just kept doing it. I called the doctor immediately and she told me to go to the ER right away. I had to call my husband home from work. I was in way too much of a panic to drive to the hospital. We live in a very small town and the hospital is about a half hour or so away. I bathed her and changed her, and noticed her color started returning, that was good.

after I dried her off the vomiting started again. I was hysterical. By the time DH got home, she seemed like nothing at all had happened, and was smiling and playing. We packed her up and the diaper bag and DH drove us in. I was feeling pretty scared and perplexed at how she was so ill just a few moments ago and us now fine as if nothing at all happened.

As soon as I was about to tell my husband to turn around she was fine, she threw up 4 more times, then was fine. We were at the ER for a couple hours. No one really did any tests as she was laughing and playing and didn't throw up at all. She looked like herself and seemed fine.

Turns out it was the rice cereal I have been feeding her since mid February. She developed an intolerance to it I guess. I am so scared to feed her anything other than breastmilk now. I was giving her Gerber rice cereal with probiotics and DHA. I didn't read the label until today. turns out it has both soy and tuna oils in it. I thought we were supposed to hold off on soy and fish to make sure allergies don't develop now.... all that because of an intolerance? wow.

She has been absolutely fine today. Not one episode and was so energetic and playful. I think I took it much harder than she did. Anyone else have any issues with solids?

March 14th, 2013, 11:12 PM
jojo2bee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Matthew has an allergy to zucchini, when I was feeding it to him he started getting really fussy and started spitting up a bit then got diarrhea. We stoped giving it to him and hes great now.

He had one time gotten really sick and was throwing up everything he ate then spiked a major fever (101.8) and he was almost 2 months at the time. We called the doc and ended up bringing him to the er at 11pm and he got admitted for 3 days with an pneumonia. Im trying to scare you or anything but keep a good eye on her and check her temp to just to be safe. Our little ones can get so sick so eaisly! Its terrifying how easily it can happen to. But im glad its just an intolerance and shed doing better now!

Have you thought about making brown rice cereal for her? Thats what ido for my son and I think it may be better for her without the fish oils and stuff. Just a thought though lol

March 14th, 2013, 11:34 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I am so sorry you both had to go through that. I am a FTM as well and would not know what to do and would panic. I am so glad she is ok and that it was just the allergy

~mommy of 3 angels and one handsome boy~

March 15th, 2013, 07:08 AM
smashley8's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ugh, how scary! Honestly Olivia could do without the rice cereal, intolerance or not. You could also try oatmeal if you want to give her something other than fruits and veggies. So glad she's okay!

March 15th, 2013, 10:49 AM
Blessed Mommy Of 5's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That is so scary! I'm glad everything turned out okay. Kyah hasn't had any issues with any foods yet. I did not know that rice cereal has soy and tuna oils in it. Yuck! I am so glad Olivia is fine now

March 15th, 2013, 11:18 AM
writerchick324's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That would freak me out! I am glad you figured out what it was. But how scary!!!

Elliott David: 9/13/12, 5:36pm, 8lbs15oz, 20 1/2" long!

March 15th, 2013, 01:06 PM
alicenwonderland's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to alicenwonderland
google FPIES. Sounds like she has it. There is a facebook group call "Protein Intolerant Children" The ladies are VERY experienced with this stuff.

March 15th, 2013, 01:36 PM
curlygirl77's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh wow, that would scare me too!

My beautiful siggy was made by *bokkechick*

March 15th, 2013, 09:20 PM
OMG! Thank you so much alicenwonderland! I read about it and it sounds exactly like what we experienced! and the doctor said it was most likely norovirus, but after she vomited in the car it was all over. It was like she got it all (and then some) out of her system and it was over as quick as it started.

Her 6 month appointment is next week, I will ask her reg ped about it. I am SO scared to feed her anything other than breast milk!

Olivia is doing just beautifully now. she's sleeping better and is very alert and very playful. Maybe the sleep regression was due to me feeding her rice cereal before the vomiting episode happened. maybe it made her uncomfortable as I would give it to her for her supper. yikes! I knew the cereal gave her gas, but I chalked it up being a new food and just gave her mylacon at cereal times. I'm going to do more research into this and see what the dr says next week.

The thing I hated the most was the ER doctors looking at me like I was another crazy FTM bringing in her child for a band-aid. They were kind of dismissive and didn't really listen to anything I was saying. I was completely scared out of my wits! I have never seen something so violent in my life!

You all are so wonderfully supportive, I appreciate your feedback and suggestions.

March 15th, 2013, 09:20 PM
OMG! Thank you so much alicenwonderland! I read about it and it sounds exactly like what we experienced! and the doctor said it was most likely norovirus, but after she vomited in the car it was all over. It was like she got it all (and then some) out of her system and it was over as quick as it started.

Her 6 month appointment is next week, I will ask her reg ped about it. I am SO scared to feed her anything other than breast milk!

Olivia is doing just beautifully now. she's sleeping better and is very alert and very playful. Maybe the sleep regression was due to me feeding her rice cereal before the vomiting episode happened. maybe it made her uncomfortable as I would give it to her for her supper. yikes! I knew the cereal gave her gas, but I chalked it up being a new food and just gave her mylacon at cereal times. I'm going to do more research into this and see what the dr says next week.

The thing I hated the most was the ER doctors looking at me like I was another crazy FTM bringing in her child for a band-aid. They were kind of dismissive and didn't really listen to anything I was saying. I was completely scared out of my wits! I have never seen something so violent in my life!

You all are so wonderfully supportive, I appreciate your feedback and suggestions.

March 16th, 2013, 12:19 AM
Starstrydergrrl's Avatar Super Mommy
*hugs* it is super scary when that happens. Glad she is doing better now, stupid rice cereal. I hate that they still recommend it even though so many kids have bad reactions to it.
aislin22 likes this.

March 17th, 2013, 08:30 PM
I know right? thanks for the support.

so should i give another brand a try? I'm so scared to try it again. I don't want to make my baby sick. She had bananas for the first time today. wasn't wild about them but she didn't have any reaction to them at all.

man...this sucks.

March 17th, 2013, 08:31 PM
I know right? thanks for the support.

so should i give another brand a try? I'm so scared to try it again. I don't want to make my baby sick. She had bananas for the first time today. wasn't wild about them but she didn't have any reaction to them at all.

man...this sucks.

March 18th, 2013, 11:51 AM
Frugile Wife
Send a message via Yahoo to jennylynnf
I would just avoid the cereals they are not required in the diet. Jessica cant handle any of them without screaming in pain for hrs. so I dont use them.

Jessica Wearing Her SQUISHY BUM'S Cloth Diaper made by mommy
Facebook.com/Squishybums

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search