No more BLW for us!

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By MosaicWife
  • 3 Post By 20ghanover

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 15th, 2013, 07:46 AM
Sherry777's Avatar Blessed Mommy
There will be no more baby led weaning- or solids as I like to call it- since we are not actually "weaning." Pippa choked on the soft part of a cucumber last night. It got lodged in her throat, and eventually she threw it up- but not before almost giving us a heart attack. Don't believe that they won't choke "because babies are not able to work food to the back of their throat without chewing." BS- they can poke it down with their finger, which is exactly what Pippa did. She did it again with a soft string of cheese a few minutes later.

We are going to make our own pureed food, and I will feed her very soft foods. I am no longer giving her chunks of food thinking it is okay. I fed my other kids without doing BLW, and it appears I am going to do it again.

I distinctly recall Jessica being 8 months old and eating pizza on the table top at Chuck E. Cheese. She was also 3 1/2 weeks early like Pippa, but she was ready for food. They are so very different. Pippa is nowhere even close to ready. She has the pincer grasp down. She can get the food to her mouth. However, she then pokes it deep in her mouth with her finger. (My husband's biggest fear with our babies was choking. He still worries and our other kids are 7 & 10.) This just is not for us.

March 15th, 2013, 08:06 AM
MosaicWife's Avatar Missa
Aww, I'm sorry. That is scary and it happened to my SIL with her first. Scared her so badly she stopped giving her baby chunks of stuff for a while too. If she's not ready, she's not ready. Nothing wrong with purees. I personally would never eat them but we know that babies love them.
mama4life likes this.

March 15th, 2013, 08:06 AM
1fabulousfem's Avatar Mommy to Finn + 1!
Omg, Sherry! I am so sorry you had to experience that. You must have freaked. Thank God she is okay!
Abouy a month ago I tried giving Finn one of those baby cookies where the pieces are supposed to melt, well it didn't, and he gagged!
Since then I decided just to stick with homemade puree until I feel he is ready for chunks.
I am petrified of choking as well.

March 15th, 2013, 08:17 AM
Cylence's Avatar I'm a Toys 'R Us kid
Taryn has had a few choking incidents that has me pretty wary too. Glad she's ok!
March 15th, 2013, 08:39 AM
one.juniper's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to one.juniper
That is scary! Theres nothing wrong with waiting until she is more ready.

Pinterest
Flickr
March 15th, 2013, 10:59 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
My biggest fear with my children is also choking.

I've been feeding Michaela purees. I've tried her with baby biscotti this week which are supposed to be for 7mo+ and that's the first actual solid I've offered, and she's sort of ok but she does gag and she too momentarily choked on a piece yesterday then puked it back up, so I'm thinking I'll wait with those for now, too.

March 15th, 2013, 11:35 AM
alicenwonderland's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to alicenwonderland
scary! I'm liking purees more right now too, unless the food dissolves.

March 15th, 2013, 12:18 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Oh yeah, I would wait too. So far, our blw has only consisted of him gumming a half an apple and me squeezing little banana bits in his mouth. Choking is serious. I am also just sti king to the baby safe feeder we have. Do you have one of those?

March 15th, 2013, 01:14 PM
Mom2JDub's Avatar (formerly junie22)

I really looked into BLW and would have liked to have done it, but I'm way too much of a worry wart for it. And his daycare would not accommodate it either for fear of liability on their part. So we're sticking with purees for a while.

I do use the silicone mesh feeder with him sometimes. It makes him feel like a big boy eating, but I don't have to worry about choking.

Thanks, *Kiliki*, for the perfect siggy!

Click here to read Jack's baby journal.
March 15th, 2013, 01:27 PM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
I haven't seen those mesh feeders in the shops here. I might look into one online.

March 15th, 2013, 03:02 PM
ufmelissa824's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sharron, I got mine from Amazon and I love it. And Sherry, I don't blame you on the BLW. I gave Emily a relatively crushed up cook carrot and she almost choked on that and this morning, I gave her a bit of banana that I was eating and I guess it wasn't mashed up enough because she started coughing and it sounded like it was stuck in her throat.

You could always do what Alicia Silverstone did and chew your food up and feed her like a bird Just kidding!!!!

March 15th, 2013, 03:53 PM
Mega Super Mommy
One of my worst fears! Glad she is ok.

Thank you Vicki for my wonderful siggy.

March 15th, 2013, 05:29 PM
Mega Super Mommy
There is nothing wrong with purees! Too much pressure these days to be a mom, good grief. Can't use a stroller, can't sleep in a crib, can't drink formula, can't eat baby food, can't use a bottle, can't use a pacifier, can't have a career without someone claiming that you're evil and selfish for not letting your universe revolve around your children. And it's not like these parenting techniques are turning out a generation of stellar americans. We never hear positive mama comments!

I say....Do what works, do what's best for your family, and don't apologize for it
March 15th, 2013, 07:18 PM
Regular
We are going with purees for now. He gagged on banana piece once, doesn't even like cereal texture, just purees, so that is what we are going for.
March 15th, 2013, 08:12 PM
Jenn1320's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sharron, I bought a silicone feeder from Amazon and it's great! I'm doing purees, store-bought, too. LOL
I do both table foods and purees (depends on what we're eating)

I am so glad Pippa is okay!!

Thank you Vicki for an beautiful siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search