Am I doing this wrong?

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By DaniM0820
  • 1 Post By smashley8

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 15th, 2013, 03:53 PM
smashley8's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I started Remy on solids 4 days ago. We did organic brown rice cereal for 2 days, bananas with cereal for 2 days, and today we tried avocado with cereal. He did not enjoy the avocado at all! In fact by about the 8th or so bite he was gagging. I'm so afraid of doing solids the wrong way. Should I not have started with bananas? How thick should I be making the food? I made the avocados about the same consistency as the bananas but they are just naturally a little thicker so now I'm wondering if I should have added more water/formula. I was hoping he would like the avocado but maybe it was stupid to try it after sweeter than sweet bananas. The other thing I'm wondering is, can I try another new thing tomorrow (like sweet potatoes?)? Or should I stick with the bananas for a couple more days? I don't want to constipate him too much, I can tell the bananas are already affecting his BMs. Any advice is much appreciated!

March 15th, 2013, 04:49 PM
DaniM0820's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was told to try each food for 3-4 days before adding a new one. As for thickness, it's trial and error until you find one he tolerates, but prob best to start thin and gradually get thicker rather than the other way around.

Jordan isn't a fan if avacado either but he liked them mixed with banana.
Also try a non- constipation food next, like sweet potatoes,pears or peas. That's what was recommended to me. Good luck!

March 15th, 2013, 04:56 PM
Maybe tomorrow I will try a little mixed with banana. I'll just wait a little while longer before I add in anything else.

March 15th, 2013, 08:52 PM
aislin22's Avatar Regular
I heard it is better to wait three to five days in between introductions of new foods. I also read both opinions that starting with vegetables is best (to avoid developing a taste for sweets) and starting with fruits has no effect. Sounds to me like you are doing well but slow down in between new food introductions. It's kind of a trial end error thing all around, and don't give up on foods the first time or so if it is rejected. Olivia HATED peas the first time but will eat a whole container now if I let her.

March 15th, 2013, 11:15 PM
Starstrydergrrl's Avatar Super Mommy
Yeah, trial and error all the way Kenny hated avo but Mika loves it, mixed with banana works really well.

It sounds like you are doing well, maybe a bit slower on introducing new flavours. It took Mika a week to get really into eating anything actually. The gaggy face was there for most of it.

March 15th, 2013, 11:25 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I agree with the other ladies. Seems u are doing pretty well but i would wait 3-5 days between foods. I read a study that usually by the 4th time a food is introduced the baby will be more accepting... Even if they hate it at first so maybe try again or try mixing and then go back to it in a few weeks

March 16th, 2013, 05:37 AM
I read this article:
http://survivorpediatrics.wordpress....and-the-myths/

Which is kind of why I didn't wait as long before letting him taste avocado. Our family doesn't have a history of allergies and I felt comfortable with him trying 2 foods, if anything happened it would still be pretty easy to distinguish which one is bothering him. There are so many contradicting recommendations these days, it's very hard to make the right choice for us!

March 16th, 2013, 08:26 AM
karenwalter's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Keep introducing it and he might start to like it. Sometimes it takes several introductions before they start to like it, so don't worry if it seems like he hates it at first. Sounds like you're doing fine

. Thanks .hOOdihoo.this. for another beautiful siggy!

March 16th, 2013, 03:15 PM
jojo2bee's Avatar Matthew's Mommy!
Dito, trial and error with thickness until you find what he likes. I waited 4 days between foods just to be safe and im glad I did because he had a bad tolerance to zucchini. And ive also herd the give veggies first bit, his ped had suggested that to me to. Matthew hates squishes (squash lol) but I keep giving it to every now and them because I hava also read and been told that it can take a while for them to like a food so dont give up and still feed it to him every now and then.

March 16th, 2013, 03:30 PM
So tonight I mixed some avocado and banana together, had it all ready for him, and he flat out didn't want to eat anything! I'm gonna assume it's the 3 oz or so that he had before he ate, oh well! Try again tomorrow

March 17th, 2013, 07:42 PM
aislin22's Avatar Regular
Quote:
Originally Posted by smashley8 View Post
There are so many contradicting recommendations these days, it's very hard to make the right choice for us!
For sure!!! I think overall you know your baby and what is good for him.

My sister's husband is almost 50 years old and he showed us the hospital discharge letter his mom kept from his birth and the Dr. then recommended solids at 4 DAYS OLD! opinions are always changing.

IMHO, as long as you are doing your best for your baby, you're doing the right thing.

March 18th, 2013, 05:31 AM
3Sapphires's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think you are doing a great job, maybe just give him another day or so before trying something else. I usually wait 3 days before adding anything new.

he may hate the taste of avacado - I know I do. so I mix it with something like banana then it masks the taste.

thickness is hard to judge, Linc prefers things on the thicker side so if it is too runny I add some oatmeal cereal to it.

FF Chart**CrazyAmiCrochet**
Missing Our Angels gone too soon 6/5/10 & 2/19/14
Adam Michael 9/22/06 (c-section)~Nathan Joseph 9/4/08 (VBAC)~Lincoln Thomas 9/5/12 (VBAC)

March 18th, 2013, 07:44 AM
Blessed Mommy Of 5's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It sounds like you're doing great, Ashley! Are you making your own baby food for Remy?

It's crazy that I have never even tried avocados. Lol. What do they taste like? Are they good? I guess I need to try them myself. I have read a lot of Mommies give them to the babies; but I never tried them for me or my babies.

March 18th, 2013, 05:36 PM
Yes I am making my own! It's so easy! I can't believe the price of baby food jars compared to what you can do yourself. I mush up banana or avocado on demand, and everything else I am using my immersion blender. I have already made a ton of sweet potatoes and acorn squash, put them in ice cube trays and popped them out into a freezer bag when they were frozen. I'm planning on buying organic for most things that don't have a thick skin, and my grocery store sells frozen organic sweet peas and green beans so I bought those too.

Ladies who freeze their homemade food, what's the best way to go about thawing it?
Blessed Mommy Of 5 likes this.

March 19th, 2013, 09:01 PM
bettyearl's Avatar Beth, mom to 4 boys
Quote:
Ladies who freeze their homemade food, what's the best way to go about thawing it?
I'm not personally anti-microwave, but if you want to avoid that you can put the frozen cube in a baggie under warm water (in a bowl or in the sink) for 5-10 minutes or so.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search