Getting rid of pets

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Blessed.Life
  • 2 Post By LadyCoconut
  • 2 Post By one.juniper
  • 1 Post By Cylence
  • 1 Post By ufmelissa824

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 19th, 2013, 10:55 AM
aubers68's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Has anyone ever gotten rid of a pet? What was your deciding factor?

Before Summer was born my dogs were my kids, my life. Now I have no time for them. I'm gone most the day over with my parents. I keep the dogs locked in the kitchen even when we're home because they shed horribly and I can't put Summer down on a floor they've been trampling all over because of the hair. My kitchen is a disaster if I don't vacuum everyday and I usually don't get to vacuum it more then 2-3 times a week so it's typically a mess. I really don't want to get rid of them but sometimes I think about it. It's mostly Bentley (our mastiff). I love him so **** much but I don't have time for him. I feel horrible keeping him all locked up but it's the only way.

March 19th, 2013, 11:11 AM
Mom to Madeline
((hugs)) That must be tough. It sounds like you already know what to do, but I cannot imagine how tough it is to actually give them away. Would a close friend/family member take them? That might put you more at ease.
March 19th, 2013, 11:29 AM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
That sounds rough. Do you have a fenced backyard? Is it something that will be easier with the warmer weather? How obedient are your dogs? We were able to train Bama not to go on Cam's rug where he plays and she also does not go into his bedroom, which is how we deal with hair (in addition to vacuuming, swiffering etc.), so I have places to put Cam, and Bama has her places. She's also not a huge shedder, which makes a difference as well. I have never had to give away a pet, but my aunt and uncle did for the same reasons you have when my cousin was a baby - they had a German Shepperd - and my mom's friend took her. Hopefully someone you know can take him. That's a very difficult decision only you guys can make.

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
March 19th, 2013, 11:42 AM
aubers68's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't think my husband would ever go for it. But its a thought that crosses my mind. I'm not sure if anyone close would be able to take him. He's a very large dog so not many people have room for his size (we barely do lol). I do think that it will be better in the spring/summer when its warmer because he loves it outside. But he also has horrible seasonal allergies so thats like a catch 22...

March 19th, 2013, 11:46 AM
Super Mommy
Tough. Hmmmmmm, I am not really a pet person. I like dogs but kinda vowed never to love another animal after my dog from childhood died when I was in college.
It's hard to have a realistic perspective when your baby is this age. My friend recently had to talk me out of rearranging our entire house because she knew I was just considering it because I am in an overwhelming stage of exhaustion and not thinking beyond it. I would recommend seeing if someone you know can temporarily adopt him/them from you. And maybe you will feel less overwhelmed by them once life with a child feels more established and routine. No, life will never be the same as before Summer, but when you aren't so sleep deprived and she fits more into the flow of your lives, you might feel better about having the dogs.
Me personally, I can't fathom keeping up with the messes of any animal on top of managing kids and home. I joke with dh, anytime he mentions wanting a dog, that if I am going to be cleaning up after something, we might as well make it another baby rather than a dog! Hah! My kids are almost old enough to have the responsibility, but until then, forget about it!
You know what you can and can't handle. It sounds like you are ready to make the decision and if so, you should, and don't feel bad about it. Your responsibility is to Summer and to have animal guilt..? Not worth it compared to mom and wife guilt.

Last edited by mama4life; March 19th, 2013 at 11:50 AM.
March 19th, 2013, 12:35 PM
TKbunny's Avatar Elias's slave..err..Mommy
I got rid of a dog a few years back because she wouldn't mind at all and her and our other dog fought all the time. But the last straw was when they were fighting in the house and they got around my legs and in their rage they both bit me and drew blood. That was it. The new dog was gone. Our other dog was never like that before and she's back to normal since we got rid of the other. I felt bad but no way was I going to deal with them fighting all the time and me or DH or kids later on getting hurt.

March 19th, 2013, 12:48 PM
Blessed.Life's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have 2 large dogs, a 97 pound german shedder (shepherd) and a 92 pound (and still growing newfoundland.) It's not really an option for me to give my dogs up. I am not saying this to be harsh on you it's just my opinion. Obviously if they hurt Micah it would be a different story but they are very gentle with him. Hair is a huge problem in my house as well and I don't have time to brush them like I use to. What has been working for me is vacuuming when I can which is usually only twice a week unfortunately. I also bring them to get professionally groomed and furminated every other month. I try to stay diligent and furminate them the other month. I also set up a play area in a corner for Micah where I can put him down and bought raised foam mats and then a baby play yard to keep it enclosed to keep the dogs out. It has worked out extremely well for us. We also don't let the dogs in Micahs room at all so we can put him down there as well.

I hope you find a solution that works for you! Let me know if you have any questions on products or anything I would be more then happy to help in any way that I can
aubers68 likes this.
March 19th, 2013, 01:21 PM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
I never have but there was a time when I was concerned about one of my two cats at the time with Daniel, as he seemed hostile towards him, but he grew to not mind him in the end.

It would have been a tough decision so I can't imagine being in your place and wanted to offer xxx

March 19th, 2013, 01:48 PM
LadyCoconut's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Just remember that in the grand scheme of things your baby will only be crawling in dog hair for a handful of months lol.
aubers68 and tryingfornumber1 like this.

March 19th, 2013, 02:51 PM
one.juniper's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to one.juniper
It's really up to you and how you feel. However, as a dog owner myself I worry you might be making a mistake because things are hard right now. It's not like she's going to be an infant forever.

I don't think its right to give away your dog because you've had a baby. You made a commitment to care for them when you took them into your home. I know its very common for people to find they don't have time for their dogs when children come along and its always bothered me.
aubers68 and tryingfornumber1 like this.

Pinterest
Flickr
March 19th, 2013, 02:56 PM
Sherry777's Avatar Blessed Mommy
We got rid of all our chinchillas except two of them. We were very attached to them, but they require a lot of care since they are exotic animals. Most products safe for them are only available online, and cleaning the cages is a time-consuming project. Also, it is not safe to have a crawling baby and have chinchilla poop all over the floor. Despite our best efforts, it happens no matter what. These are a 20-year commitment, not something to take likely. They live twice as long as some dogs. It took me a very long time to find good homes for them.

March 19th, 2013, 04:38 PM
tryingfornumber1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I wouldn't get rid of my dog because Mikayla is crawling over the carpet with dog hair on it. That's just silly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by one.juniper View Post
It's really up to you and how you feel. However, as a dog owner myself I worry you might be making a mistake because things are hard right now. It's not like she's going to be an infant forever.

I don't think its right to give away your dog because you've had a baby. You made a commitment to care for them when you took them into your home. I know its very common for people to find they don't have time for their dogs when children come along and its always bothered me.
What she said times two. I see posts on craigslist all the time because, "We had a baby and don't have time for the cat/dog now." Makes me so sad. Animals are a lifelong commitment!
March 20th, 2013, 12:40 PM
Cylence's Avatar I'm a Toys 'R Us kid
I am very much against getting rid of an animal just because they are an inconvenience. You made as much of a commitment to your animal as you did to your baby and I think you should keep your end of the deal. Pandora sheds like a mad woman and quite honestly, I check to make sure Taryn doesn't get it in her mouth, but a quick swipe of her feet or clothes & she's good as new.

Please reconsider.
tryingfornumber1 likes this.
March 20th, 2013, 04:55 PM
ufmelissa824's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Aubrey, I totally understand where you're coming from. Our dog has been our "baby" for 6 years but last weekend I had almost reached my breaking point when first he pooped on our bedroom floor (when I was putting away clothes and could have easily let him out) and then later that day, got ahold of a dirty diaper and shredded it. He also sheds like crazy and I hate it now that Emily's trying to crawl and ends up covered in hair.

Anyway, when all this went down I joked to my sister about giving him away and she asked if I was serious and I realized I wasn't. I love him too much, despite his flaws. And I'm sure that some of his behavior is partly because he's not the baby anymore, so I can't fault him for that. Plus, Emily adores him and I think they'll make great playmates when she gets older.
Cylence likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search