A couple questions about solids

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Blessed Mommy Of 5
  • 1 Post By ~*Kel*~

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 19th, 2013, 05:35 PM
smashley8's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I asked this in the other post, but I don't think anyone saw it. Ladies who make their own baby food, if you freeze it, what's the best way to thaw the little cubes? I'm guessing microwave is a no no?

Also, the past couple days Remy has just COMPLETELY lost interest in eating the purees I have made. When we started with bananas, he enjoyed it. Since then we have tried avocado and sweet potato, and he won't even really open his mouth for the first bite to see what it is. I know he's still so little and they're just for fun, but I wish he would at least give me a couple tries willingly! I'm not forcing him, but I do have to push the spoon in his mouth to get him to have anything at all. After that he might let me in 1 or 2 more times, but he'll just keep turning his head away from the spoon. Any advice?

March 19th, 2013, 06:04 PM
DaniM0820's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I put the frozen foods into the fridge for the next day and let them thaw in there. I usually give 12-36 hours to thaw. Sometimes there is a little bit of ice, in which case I will take it out before feeding him and let it thaw that way, but I wouldn't leave it at room temp overnight or anything.

Jordan wouldn't open his mouth right away and would actually try sucking the food off the spoon, but then I started refusing to give him food that way and would only give it when he opened his mouth. Now he opens up wide when he wants the food and keeps it shut tight when he doesn't or he's had enough. Are you BFing him right before trying the puréed food? We give him purées an hour or 2 after his last BFing session, and he seems hungry enough for them by then. If he's hungry after his 1-2 oz of purées then I go ahead and BF him, though usually he's good for another hour or 2.

March 19th, 2013, 06:58 PM
I guess it is possible that he might be full, but I usually don't feed him right before so I'm not sure if that is the issue! I'll watch the clock though tomorrow and see if that is contributing to it.

March 19th, 2013, 09:03 PM
jojo2bee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I put his food for the next day in the fridge the night before and its thawed by the time I feed him. I put it in his bottle warmer to warm it up for when he eats. You can also put it in a bowl of water to unthaw but that will take a little bit.

Matthew did the same starting out. He would suck it off the spoon lol buthe just stoped doing it eventually and now opens his mouth for a bite. Im thinking either hes full, doesn't like what hes eating or is still learning how to eat.

March 19th, 2013, 09:52 PM
Blessed Mommy Of 5's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I haven't made my own baby food yet, but I plan to start very soon. So. I'm glad you asked this!

I'm thinking basically the same as Dani and JoLina for why Remy isn't opening his mouth for the food. If you find that it isn't due to him being full already, maybe It's just a sign he isn't quite ready for solids yet. When you are able to get it in his mouth, does he swallow it or push it back out?

The first few times I tried giving Kyah solids she certainly didn't start out opening wide for each bite; it took a few days for her to get the hang of it. I would just keep trying. If he doesn't seem interested then just try again the next day. Don't give up though, he will open up as soon as he is ready! Also when I started Kyah on solids she ate very little at first. There were lots of times she only ate a couple of bites.
smashley8 likes this.

March 20th, 2013, 01:08 PM
Veteran
Ditto. Thanks for asking this question - was wondering about the same things myself!
March 20th, 2013, 02:03 PM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I use the microwave.

March 20th, 2013, 02:41 PM
~*Kel*~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to ~*Kel*~
I use the microwave in 5 -10 second increments.

As far as not opening for food, I wouldn't push it. Brennan is a week or so older than Remy and just this week started taking more than a bite or two. I just tried every couple days, and just let him take what her wants. He will get there eventually is the way I am looking at it.
smashley8 likes this.

March 20th, 2013, 06:10 PM
Thank you Michelle and Kel, you both made me feel better. We had another afternoon of just a few tiny bites and most of it got pushed back out. It sucks because I'm wasting food I made, but I'll just let him lead me and if he eats, he eats.

March 21st, 2013, 02:22 AM
curlygirl77's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The microwave is fine as long as you leave it to stand a couple minutes and stir it well.

Micah still isn't that interested in purees, she will open her mouth for a few bites ,but is more interested on trying to catch and chew on the spoon. And i think she is about six weeks older than Remy? Some babies just take longer to catch on I think.

My beautiful siggy was made by *bokkechick*

March 21st, 2013, 07:56 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have frozen cubes, take em straight from the freezer, and do a minute 30. He eats 3 cubes at a time if it's carrots, sweet potatoes, peas, or any fruit. He doesn't care for avocado anymore. Guess it is pretty tasteless plain.

March 21st, 2013, 01:46 PM
3Sapphires's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I heat it to steaming - just one of those things I do for all cooked/cooled/and frozen food

then I let it sit for a few minutes to cool off, or put it in the fridge.

FF Chart**CrazyAmiCrochet**
Missing Our Angels gone too soon 6/5/10 & 3/1/14
Adam Michael 9/22/06 (c-section)~Nathan Joseph 9/4/08 (VBAC)~Lincoln Thomas 9/5/12 (VBAC)

March 22nd, 2013, 12:45 PM
RunningMommyTo5's Avatar Marathoning Mom to 4!
You've already received so much advice, so I won't repeat it all. But, I would just encourage you to keep trying. He will one day realize that he likes them when he's ready to eat them, and then he'll start eating like a champ!
*~*~ Katie; Mommy to 3 fun-loving boys, one sweet little baby girl, and #5 on the way! *~*~

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search