First AF / reduced milk supply

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Sherry777
  • 1 Post By Mom2JDub

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 25th, 2013, 08:01 AM
Sherry777's Avatar Blessed Mommy
I have been pumping at work since Pippa was 7 weeks old, and I have never had a problem getting the same amount of milk, which is plenty for Pippa and some extra. Also, as time went on, I was pumping more and more milk as Pippa nursed to increase my supply. Well, last week I noticed a considerable drop in my pumping output. One day I had 25 ounces, and the next I had 14! I had never had such a small amount of milk pumped. I thought it was the cheese dip I ate the day before that I didn't know contained cilantro until after I ate it. I also thought it may be the one night I slept 5 hours instead of 3 because I slept through the alarm. On the third day, I was really beginning to wonder what the true cause was. Absolutely nothing else had changed, and Pippa was nursing the same amount. My breasts felt softer, and I was not feeling a hard letdown either. Also, I had three days of VERY sore nipples, as I had posted here. I didn't see any cracks in them, but I thought that they were sore from a bad latch during dream feedings. Friday night I had a dream that I got AF and that it was the reason. Sure enough on Saturday afternoon, that's exactly what happened. Then suddenly my supply was back in full force, and I was getting almost full bottles again. As soon as AF appeared, I felt hard letdowns again, and my breasts were not as soft.

I wanted to share this with the women who haven't gotten their first AF yet. There is a way to prevent this dip. Take calcium, magnesium, and zinc supplements (separate because the dosage is different for each one- therefore a combined pill will not work as well). If you start taking these daily from ovulation until the onset of AF, you will not see a difference in your supply. For those that do not work and do not have to pump, you may not even notice at all.

This dip really scared me because I plan to nurse Pippa until 2 or 3 if she wants. Also, I am donating milk to another mother.

Anyway, AF sucks.
rainbowfish and mama4life like this.

March 25th, 2013, 08:19 AM
LadyCoconut's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Boo! Af does suck... mine hasn't returned yet and I hoe she stays gone for a while, because I got her back at 5.5 months PP with Lily. Good to know about the massive difference in supply! I always heard it decreased but its interesting to see by how much! TFS

March 25th, 2013, 02:10 PM
Jenn1320's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Mine hasn't returned either, but I've noticed over the last week a reduction in supply. Also, E did two nights of non-stop nursing/waking so I figured she was trying to increase my supply. She's eating more solids, too, though, so guess we are in a transition period.

Thank you Vicki for an beautiful siggy!

March 26th, 2013, 06:16 AM
Mountain~Mama's Avatar ThePastHasNoPowerOverMe
I had the same thing happen right before my first couple AFs. It sucked!
March 26th, 2013, 06:40 AM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
Hmmm, I stopped taking fenugreek about 2 weeks ago (my bottle ran out and I didn't bother to buy a new one because I've had some unexplained bruising, a side effect of it), and I needed a break from oatmeal for breakfast. And have had some issues pumping - I replaced all the parts in my pump and finally got 1oz last night....I've been crampy so maybe its AF instead of the lack of fenugreek and oatmeal...or a combo of the two...

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
March 26th, 2013, 06:57 AM
Mom2JDub's Avatar (formerly junie22)
Sorry AF showed up, but I'm glad it was just a temporary reduction in your supply. At least now you know that you can really start planning for baby #4.
Sherry777 likes this.

Thanks, *Kiliki*, for the perfect siggy!

Click here to read Jack's baby journal.
March 26th, 2013, 01:50 PM
JesusisKing's Avatar Veteran
I had a drastic dip in my supply also, but that was like close to a month ago, and I still didn't get AF. Milk supply is basically back to normal now tho'...
Did anyone ever feel crampy, and low back pain off and on for that long, and still not get their AF back?

... and wow, you are really dedicated for waking every 3 hours to pump!! Way to go!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search