Question about pumping at work...

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By rainbowfish
  • 3 Post By Sherry777
  • 1 Post By Jessimaaka
  • 2 Post By one.juniper
  • 1 Post By amyinwonderland

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 25th, 2013, 11:19 AM
one.juniper's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to one.juniper
As most of you know I got a new part-time job that is mostly work from home. However in two weeks time I have to go into the office for a whole day to meet everyone and have some training. I have never been away from Oz for a whole day. I have milk pumped in the freezer, that's not an issue.

My question is do I really need to pump for the hours that I am there. I don't tend to get engorged even if I miss feedings anymore, but I am worried about it impacting my supply. So is one day of missed feedings (probably about 8 hours so that's not quite 3 nursing sessions) really that bad? I will pump if I have to but I have a manual pump and it would be a bit of a pain.

If you do recommend that I pump, how much do I need to pump and how many times would I need to do it (would once or twice suffice). This is basically a one time thing, though there will be other days in the coming months where I will occassionally be in the same situation.

Thanks!

Pinterest
Flickr
March 25th, 2013, 11:32 AM
Super Mommy
It depends on the person and supply but I will tell you that I have gone without pumping and been fine (I've never had supply issues though w/ either kid).
one.juniper likes this.

Thanks Lucy S for my siggy
March 25th, 2013, 11:35 AM
Sherry777's Avatar Blessed Mommy
Generally a pattern of pumping/nursing affects your supply two days later. I would think you would need to pump just to be safe. I pump every three hours when I am away from Pippa.

Pumping time varies: 15 minutes is what most people recommend. However, if I am stressed or uncomfortable, let down takes longer. Once the milk coming out is thicker and whiter instead of thinner and clearer, you know you have reached the hind milk. Reaching that hind milk and "emptying the breast" is what triggers your body to make more. In the first few weeks, supply is hormone driven. After that,is is supply and demand. You have to nurse or pump to send the signal for your body to make more milk.

Congratulations on the job!

March 25th, 2013, 11:54 AM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
I've gone out at night a few times and been away from Cam for 6 hours. I've gone for dinner and a play, so I couldn't pump. I was in pain by the end, even though I am not normally engorged when he does skip a feed. So I think you will have to play it by ear and maybe bring your pump just in case to ease any discomfort.
one.juniper likes this.

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
March 25th, 2013, 02:30 PM
gumonyershoe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to gumonyershoe Send a message via MSN to gumonyershoe Send a message via Yahoo to gumonyershoe
I agree. Take your pump, play it by ear. I have to pump because that's how I have milk for Xavier's next day at daycare and I know I'd be miserable and my supply would drop. But I'm working full time away from home.

But I agree that at this point it is supply and demand so just be careful. If it's only once in a while it probably won't affect things much though.

Thank you Vicki... for my awesome siggy!
March 25th, 2013, 02:52 PM
ufmelissa824's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Before when I was working, I pumped twice a day in the mid-morning and and again in the early afternoon but nowadays I could probably get away with pumping just once at lunchtime. I've even gone 8 hours without pumping but I also supplement so I wouldn't know if it affected my supply.

March 25th, 2013, 04:03 PM
one.juniper's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to one.juniper
Thanks ladies! I will take my pump and make sure to pump at least once. I appreciate your advice
Sherry777 and Jessimaaka like this.

Pinterest
Flickr
March 25th, 2013, 11:58 PM
HippieLove's Avatar Modern Day Brady Bunch
Send a message via MSN to HippieLove
Ditto the girls

Emma, girlfriend of Loz, future step-mama to J (15) and K (10), Mama to Jaelah (8), Oliver (5), Mianna (4) and Harper (2), WTTC our first together, in 2015.
March 26th, 2013, 07:20 AM
amyinwonderland's Avatar Rylan & Delaney's Mommy
Each woman is different but I figured that I would tell you my experience. I stopped pumping a few weeks ago because there is not a great place to pump at my office and I was pumping in the bathroom (gross). Rylan takes only 3 or 4 ounces at a time and only 2 to 3 bottles when she's at daycare and makes up for it at home so it was just not worth it for me to pump at work. So she's taking about 9 to 12 ounces of formula at daycare now.

I was worried about my supply dropping but it's pretty much stayed the same. Most weeks I am off on Wednesday, Saturday, & Sunday and I think that helps. Occasionally when I have to work late it will start getting uncomfortable but overall it's been manageable not pumping at work.
one.juniper likes this.
March 26th, 2013, 07:55 PM
alicenwonderland's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to alicenwonderland
I pump twice in an 8 hour day. For example. I nurse Cora around 530 then go to work and pump during the 9am coffee break, and then again at noon for lunch. Then I am home and nursing by 4. I work 7a to 3p

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search