Daycare question for BTDT

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 27th, 2013, 02:32 PM
one.juniper's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to one.juniper
Is there anyone here who is or has ever been in a situation where they regularly need occasional daycare?

What did you do about it?

I will be in the need for occasional daycare soon and though my inlaws are in town they aren't 100% available and do travel quite a bit so I'd like to find someone who I can count on, however its easier said then done in a community already facing a severe daycare shortage. Nobody who runs an at home daycare obviously wants an occasional child because of provincial limits on the number of children. We don't have any daycare centers except for the Family Y (which only takes 18 month plus, and though they allow a minimum of 3 days a month to stay on their list the waiting list is so long I'll never get in based on that need).

I was thinking I might run an ad in the newspaper and post one on the church bulletin basically asking for a retired woman with experience with children who is interested in occasionally caring for an infant. Do you think I'd get any responses? If I did get responses what do you think would be a reasonable pay rate?

What would you do?

Pinterest
Flickr
March 27th, 2013, 04:14 PM
Blessed.Life's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I know this isn't what you want to hear but even though I don't need full time daycare, I pay for it because it's the only way I can guarantee I have someone to watch Micah when I need it. I have him in an income based facility and that helps a ton! I would try the bulletin board and maybe find a few people so hopefully someone is always available!
March 27th, 2013, 04:49 PM
Super Mommy
I had a lady from church with Nathan. Going rate around here is $3-6 an hour.

Thanks Lucy S for my siggy
March 27th, 2013, 08:02 PM
Mega Super Mommy
3-6 an hour?! Where do you live!!?! We pay $15 an hour.

Anyway, what I would do is this - I recently did it for sitters - put an ad out on care(dot)com or sittercity(dot)com - this will cost a little bit of money to join but well worth it because of the background checks - you can probably find coupons online. Put an ad out and collect 10 names of people who respond who have been background checked, whose profiles you like. Interview them over the course of a weekend. This will give you at least 5 people you could call on in a pinch, and with a list like that, someone is likely to be available. We have a nanny but she doesn't take evening/weekend work so we've had to do this for nighttime work (I travel for work and my husband works nights so sometimes we need night nannys) HTH!
March 28th, 2013, 05:12 AM
Super Mommy
The middle of nowhere Indiana. Most that offer care (like me) are sahm and are just looking for a bit of extra money. I'd love to get $15. I wouldn't even consider teaching again until both kids got to kindergarten, wow. Nobody here has that kind of money to pay though.

Thanks Lucy S for my siggy
March 28th, 2013, 08:19 AM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
Jenn, you may want to checkout daycarebear (dot) com, or or godaycare (dot) com....they are Canadian specific websites, or even posting on kijiji asking for recommendations. But I think the church would be even better than kijiji since you'd be more likely to come across someone you may have met before.

There are also home daycares that don't want the maximum of 5 plus their own since its too much all day every day. They might welcome that occasional child to boost their income every once in a while like a bonus.

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search