Solution for BLW & solid foods/table foods

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Sherry777
  • 1 Post By MosaicWife

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 28th, 2013, 07:50 AM
Sherry777's Avatar Blessed Mommy
George's biggest fear with tiny babies and children has always been choking. Therefore, even the so-called "normal gagging" during baby led weaning scares him. (For those that don't know, baby led weaning simply means skipping pureed food and letting your baby try solids that they feed themselves.)

I certainly did not want to use jars of baby food, and I don't have time to make my own. I found a solution to let Pippa eat table foods while still easing my husband's fears. Note that I am no Alicia Silverstone, but I partially chew the food for her. I don't chew it all the way up; I just use my teeth to get smaller, softer portions, and then I give it to her. Now I have a husband with an eased mind and a very excited baby who feels like a big girl! Pippa loves eating dinner with us.

therevslady and one.juniper like this.

March 28th, 2013, 10:07 AM
Super Mommy
I just tossed some in our food processer w/ Nathan (not to puree but just make it smaller chunks).

Thanks Lucy S for my siggy
March 28th, 2013, 11:24 AM
Pixie Dust's Avatar Veteran
I am way more concerned with the way I feed Cetch than I was with Cole and Cate.

My problem is we don't have a set evening schedule. With sports and livestock we eat at crazy times. I tend to reach for easy stuff like bananas and then end up feeding him with a spoon. I need to do better.

Thanks Vicki... for my siggy!

March 28th, 2013, 01:44 PM
AllyssaM's Avatar Emmersyns Mommah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixie Dust View Post
I am way more concerned with the way I feed Cetch than I was with Cole and Cate.

My problem is we don't have a set evening schedule. With sports and livestock we eat at crazy times. I tend to reach for easy stuff like bananas and then end up feeding him with a spoon. I need to do better.
Food before 1 is just for fun. Don't stress it!

March 28th, 2013, 05:55 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I also use our food processor to chop it up. She loves it and it helps with the pincer grasp.
March 28th, 2013, 07:38 PM
Mrs.Julie's Avatar Mommy to 3 Princesses
Sometimes if something is a little too hard for my liking I will bite a couple of times with my front teeth to looses it up and make it easily breakable. People do it all over the world, its fine

March 30th, 2013, 09:06 PM
TKbunny's Avatar Elias's slave..err..Mommy
Hmm.. You chew the food for her? I just a picture in my head of Pippa sitting in a nest chirping like a baby bird while you feed her from your mouth And note, I love watching baby birds with their mommies, so no offence intended, promise

I think it's a wonderful idea, honestly. I have been going nuts thinking about how to safely give Bubs table foods he can chew because I also worry about the choking. We give him soft foods like mashed potatoes and soups and things like that, and also those puffs. But sometimes he gags on the puffs still and that has me worried about anything more right now. How do we teach them to chew without them choking? So is this the answer? Do you find Pippa chews the food or does she still just kind of mash it around and swallow it?

March 30th, 2013, 11:19 PM
She chews it, and she has a much easier time. Before she was choking, not just gagging. It was a nightmare.

March 31st, 2013, 05:01 AM
MosaicWife's Avatar Missa
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKbunny View Post
Hmm.. You chew the food for her? I just a picture in my head of Pippa sitting in a nest chirping like a baby bird while you feed her from your mouth And note, I love watching baby birds with their mommies, so no offence intended, promise

I think it's a wonderful idea, honestly. I have been going nuts thinking about how to safely give Bubs table foods he can chew because I also worry about the choking. We give him soft foods like mashed potatoes and soups and things like that, and also those puffs. But sometimes he gags on the puffs still and that has me worried about anything more right now. How do we teach them to chew without them choking? So is this the answer? Do you find Pippa chews the food or does she still just kind of mash it around and swallow it?
You can't really teach them, they have to teach themselves. Paxton is doing a lot better with food than his siblings at this age. He chews like a pro and they only knew how to suck. I give him anything mushy or that can be sucked on and made mushy, yesterday he was loving the cake, but am not ready for hard stuff yet until his teeth pop through. Sherry, I'm glad you've found a method to save your sanity. That's all that matters.
Cylence likes this.

March 31st, 2013, 08:05 PM
magz88's Avatar First Time Mum
I chew food for Theo too, Sherry.
April 1st, 2013, 01:10 PM
This weekend she had broccoli, bacon, chicken, bread with butter, cheese fries with ranch, cookies, ice cream, baked potato with sour cream, and tons of other stuff. I just make sure I nurse her before she eats anything. I guess this is modified BLW. It certainly works for us.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search