Gripes for other breastfeeding moms?

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By aislin22
  • 2 Post By RunningMommyTo5
  • 1 Post By Panda

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 29th, 2013, 09:34 AM
aislin22's Avatar Regular
Hi mommies!

I have been exclusively breastfeeding Olivia for most of her near 7 months of life and there have been some bumps and hurdles along the way. When I went back to work when she was 5 weeks old I had a really tough time keeping up my milk supply as pumping at work was extremely difficult. (lack of time and inability to pump at a consistent etc) I went back to work for a month and DH and and I decided it was better if I stayed home so the milk supply was replenished very quickly.

Recently I got over a really bad episode of mastitis. Now I have two milk blebs that have been relentless for two months now...on the same nipple mind you. And I feel mastitis creeping up on me again.

Now as I am slowly introducing solids to her, weaning is such a temptation in the near future. (sooner than the recommended 12 month mark)

My question is have any of you other nursing moms ever been tempted by giving up breastfeeding? What prompted this and how did you (or not) persevere through it?

Oh yeah and Olivia is exhibiting signs of teething (chewing and drooling) though nothing has cut yet, but she has already started to bite. OUCH!

March 29th, 2013, 11:46 AM
hotjai21's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to hotjai21
Not really. Because honestly my kid would starve if I had o remember to bing bottles and formula. I have forgot the diaper bag. To put wipes in the diaper bag. All sorts of stuff. Lol. I haven't had any issues though either. Boobs are convient. And I can't forget them. Lol

March 29th, 2013, 02:41 PM
Ha! so true. I have forgotten the diaper bag a few times too. I have also forgot to bring milk to the babysitters. I have also forgotten to bring extra outfits with dire consequences.

March 29th, 2013, 02:53 PM
Blessed Mommy Of 5's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Lol, I haven't forgotten the diaper bag, but I did forget to put wipes and a clean outfit in it. Of course, that was the one time she pooped all the way up her back while we were out!!

I find ebf very convenient. It is definitely easier for us. I also love the closeness, it is priceless. I haven't had to return to a job, so I'm sure that would make things much harder. I have also never had to deal with mastisis, though I know lots of Mommies who have.

The biting I have dealt with, lol. Kyah has bit me more than a few times. Every time it catches me off guard! I am usually quite shocked and say "you don't bite Mommy", and she smiles and continues nursing

Kyah refuses bottles. I tried several times and different ways to get her to take one months ago (I was going to pump and give her a bottle of pumped milk occasionally). So, that really isn't an option.

Whatever you decide, you have breastfed Olivia for all this time already, so she has received the benefits from it If you decide to switch to formula there is nothing wrong with that. Three of my five kids were formula fed.

March 29th, 2013, 08:19 PM
I just have to say, I freekin love that picture of Kyah. It cracks me up everytime I see it. She's so adorable but she looks so serious it totally reminds me of Olivia's serious look. Love it!
Blessed Mommy Of 5 likes this.

March 31st, 2013, 09:46 PM
jojo2bee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I haven't forgotten the diaper bag but did forget the milk and bottles to bring to my moms ( our babysitter) ha my dad had to come to my work and get my house key so he could get the milk and bottles ha!

I have thought about stopping to a few times and because I want to just sleep in for once lol and I could. Leave him with someone and not have to worry about pumping. But I won't because I know its the best for him and its only a year. After that I can have my body back ha ha and I to love the closeness and cuddle time. In not ready to give that up yet.

But if you do decide its best for you to stop and switch to formula you still gave baby Olivia 7 monthsand tthat's amazing. In the end though you have to do what's best for you!

April 1st, 2013, 06:22 AM
RunningMommyTo5's Avatar Marathoning Mom to 4!
I think, at times, most EBF mommies will consider weaning to formula. I know I've considered it more than once with Bailey, but that's mainly because of all of her extenuating health stuff and the uphill battles fighting some of her ego-driven drs, LOL. However, I've nursed my three boys until around 12mo and I always remember how much I really missed nursing them shortly after they weaned. That keeps me going with Bailey. I've learned that the time passes all too quickly and pretty soon, nursing her will seem like a distant memory The frustrations of nursing, for me personally, are outweighed by the positives for us. I know with being a FTMyou don't know the firsthand feeling just yet, but just know how much you will miss it when the time comes to wean her. That is if you truly want to continue to EBF and are just looking through tips to push through the harder and frustrating times. Just think about how quickly the first 7 months have gone by, and know that the remaining time you have until she's a year (if that's your BFing goal) will also pass seemingly all too quickly. However, should you choose to wean and FF, there's nothing wrong with that, either!
Brandiwine3 and aislin22 like this.
*~*~ Katie; Mommy to 3 fun-loving boys, one sweet little baby girl, and #5 on the way! *~*~

Last edited by RunningMommyTo5; April 1st, 2013 at 06:24 AM.
April 10th, 2013, 12:30 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I have considered it before I also work and pump and feel your pain there! But what I remember is the good days by far out way the bad!! Plus like others have said I would forget lol. And Aden WILL NOT TAKE A BOTTLE IN MY PRESENCE!! He also is not keen on solids and can not tolerate dairy. It is a journey breastfeeding and I think that it takes a lot of determination and perseverance to stick with it! I have a pretty good support system here my hubs is great and also I found a mommy group here filled with "cruncy" mamas like me who breastfeed, cloth diaper, and baby wear it makes it soooo great to have like minded people to gripe to!!! If I griped to lets say a friend or dad or my grand parents the first thing they would say is ".... Then why don't you stop??" that's not what I want to hear I just want to complain sometimes about how my son crawls up to me screaming nurses for two min crawls away and does this repeatedly all day LOL!! If you ever need an extra boost PM me and we can gripe together!!

BTW You go girl for making it to seven months!! I am right there with you I am proud of myself and you should be proud of yourself too!! Think of the gift you are giving your little one!!
aislin22 likes this.

April 10th, 2013, 08:40 PM
Aww thanks Panda! I think I was just looking to gripe when I wrote that lol. Go you too for keeping it up! I have now been breast feeding her for 7 months and 1 week! It is totally a journey! Pumping at work sucks! I used to work as the executive chef for a senior apartment building and I was pumping in a vacant apartment one day and one of my coworkers walked in on me and saw my boobs! AWKWARD!!!! The door was locked, I don't know why she was in there. as if pumping at work wasn't bad enough.

Same with you, PM me anytime!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search