Righty or Lefty: Question for the BTDT mommies

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 31st, 2013, 06:42 PM
TKbunny's Avatar Elias's slave..err..Mommy
I know the info on the net, the experts and all the books tell us there is no way to tell if our baby will be a lefty or a righty until around age 2-3 years old, but I swear Elias only seems to use his left hand for most things. When he feeds himself his puffs, he always uses his left hand no matter how far to the right I place them. He just reaches across all the way to the other side of his tray to grab them with his left instead of using his right. When he throws his ball he'll pick it up if it's on his right using his right hand but then he always ALWAYS transfers it to his left to throw it. If I offer him something he always reaches for it with his left, he always rubs his nose and eyes with his left and when he wants to play with something on the wall, i.e. the light switches, he points with his left hand.

So my question is, have any of you BTDT mommies noticed your older children doing this and has it translated into them becoming dominate with that hand when they got older? Or does it really not matter how much they favor one hand over the other in the end and they switch once they get older? Any thoughts on this?

DH is a lefty so I'm wondering if Elias might be one as well.

April 1st, 2013, 04:27 AM
Super Mommy
Nathan favored his right for a few months and switched to left for a few, back and forth (he ended up using mostly his right all the time by 18 months give or take). Abby so far almost always only uses her left but we haven't had enough time to see if she'll switch to right for a few months or not.

Thanks Lucy S for my siggy
April 1st, 2013, 09:32 AM
Mrs.Julie's Avatar Mommy to 3 Princesses
That not knowing until 2-3 is a bunch of nonsense. Ive worked in childcare many years and we always...ALWAYS can tell a lefty BY 2 but really far earlier!!! I also knew my first 2 daughters were rightys by 1, but really before then. My 3rd dd, Kata, I still cant tell and I was convinced she would be a lefty only using her left hand for everything. But then she switched to using right and now shes back to left LOL. So for her I will just wait to form an opinion. I have also read a study suggesting a correlation between early handedness and higher I.Q. Interesting stuff.

April 1st, 2013, 11:35 AM
Pixie Dust's Avatar Veteran
I have one of each. I could tell early by the way they fed themselves. My lefty did more switching back and forth from right to left but he seemed more confident with his left. My right hander never swithed back and forth. It was right most of the time.

Cetch I think is going to be right. He seems to feed himself with his right hand the most. I really hope he is right handed. It seems so much harder to but left handed.

Thanks Vicki... for my siggy!

April 1st, 2013, 12:01 PM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
Daniel used both his hands equally until around 15 months and we thought he might be ambidextrous, but then he really started showing a bias towards his left and he has turned out to be left-handed.

Michaela still uses both her hands so who knows!

April 2nd, 2013, 04:35 AM
HippieLove's Avatar Modern Day Brady Bunch
Send a message via MSN to HippieLove
Harper uses both hands right now, but I only ever remember the other 3 favouring their right hand.. Oliver uses both I think actually. Hmmm...

Emma, girlfriend of Loz, future step-mama to J (15) and K (10), Mama to Jaelah (8), Oliver (6), Mianna (4) and Harper (2),

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search