no interest in eating

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By MosaicWife
  • 1 Post By rainbowfish
  • 3 Post By AllyssaM
  • 1 Post By Ever
  • 1 Post By 2pinks&ablue

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 5th, 2013, 09:15 AM
Ever's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
At Connor's 6 month appointment his Dr. said he's ready for foods now so for almost a month I've been attempting to get him going on them. He isn't interested in it much except to mush it around, smear it on his high chair and play with the spoons. He'll eat a bit but hardly anything.

I'm a bit concerned because I've heard babies need another source of iron after 6 months since they're store of it is low by then and breastmilk isn't enough so I've been giving him cereal as well as introducing new vegetables.

I've tried different kinds of cereal, feeding at various times of the day, and making sure not to nurse him too soon before but nothing's making much of a difference.

Anyone else have a baby not really interested in eating?
April 5th, 2013, 09:26 AM
Mom2JDub's Avatar (formerly junie22)
Jack's not very interested in eating either, and I have the same concerns as you. I did find that he doesn't like the baby cereals much, but he likes regular oatmeal much better. I just make oatmeal for myself and then blend some up for him. It's not fortified with iron like the baby cereals, but at least he's getting something.

I just keep trying and trying. Some days, he will do really well with eating, and other days he's just a little stinker. I'm hoping that just keeping him on a schedule will eventually lead to a better eater. In the past couple of weeks, he has started actually clamping down on the spoon when he's eating.

I've also tried giving him small pieces of steamed veggies or fruits or other little things, including puffs and yogurt melts. He's getting better about actually swallowing them sometimes, but they usually end up just dribbling out of his mouth. He does better when he's spoon-fed, unfortunately.

Good luck!

April 5th, 2013, 09:36 AM
one.juniper's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to one.juniper
Have you tried letting him self feed? If I was only trying to feed Oz with a spoon I'd have to tell you he had no interest in eating either. As soon as a spoon comes near his mouth he seals his lips shut and turns his head away and its been like that since the first time I ever tried to feed him. No regular persistence on my part has done anything to get him to take to the spoon.

However if I let him hold the spoon he will open his mouth but this is incredibly messy. He has now perfected the pincer grip so I just give him anything soft in small bite size pieces. I have been giving him finger foods before he got the pincer grip down too - slices of avocado, banana, kiwi, broccoli sticks, etc - very soft foods.

I would say if he doesn't want to pick it up then he's just not ready. If you are really concerned about iron I think you can get baby supplements but I would say ask your doctor.

Pinterest
Flickr
April 5th, 2013, 09:42 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
Michaela wasn't interested when we first started to wean but she loves it now. They say that you have to present something to a child repeatedly before they become interested and actually want to eat it. Hopefully Connor will start showing an interest soon. In the meantime, I agree with Jenn's advice.

April 5th, 2013, 09:44 AM
He will self feed a little. If I put the food on the spoon, he'll put it in his mouth. But then he just wants to chew on that spoon so I can't get anymore into him. I have to let him have 2 spoons (at least) so he has one to chew on, one to play with or throw off the tray, and I have one to try and get something into him.

Yesterday I gave him a cereal cookie and he was able to self feed with it. He didn't eat much of it, probably because the texture is new and he had to figure out how to chew up the bits that broke off but he seemed to enjoy it at least.

He will eat what I get into him, he won't spit it out. It's just a struggle because he gets mad if I try to intercept his playing or studying the food on his hands or the spoon, the bowl, whatever he's looking at. I'll try making him some very soft foods that he can pick up and hopefully he'll put some of it in his mouth! I'll also mention to the doctor what's happening and he can judge whether we need to supplement.

Thanks!!
April 5th, 2013, 10:21 AM
MosaicWife's Avatar Missa
Place newspaper on floor, put highchair on newspaper, strap baby in highchair, give baby messy, squished up food and let the fun begin. Once he figures out he can stuff that in his mouth and it tastes good he'll be set.
Mountain~Mama and AllyssaM like this.

April 5th, 2013, 10:25 AM
Super Mommy
As long as you're not anemic, the iron in your breastmilk will be fine.
Mountain~Mama likes this.

Thanks Lucy S for my siggy
April 5th, 2013, 12:17 PM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
You can also give chunks of meat to suck on...Cam had 2 chunks of steak last night to suck on while we ate. I say suck on because he doesn't really get much in his mouth lol.

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
April 5th, 2013, 12:55 PM
AllyssaM's Avatar Emmersyns Mommah
I say to try BLWing and to not stress about it I know a handful of breastfed babies who weren't interested in foods until after a year & they were prefectly healthy.
Ever, MosaicWife and mama4life like this.

April 5th, 2013, 02:15 PM
The thing I don't get is that he's showing signs that he's ready! He's always grabbing things out of my hand and trying to get them into his mouth; my drinks, my food, a banana I was going to give DD (and I let him try a piece and he did the same thing he always does after a few minutes; cried!)

I don't get why he seems so ready and then it's a huge fight to get something into him. All he wants is to keep his spoon in his mouth and that's it. No interest in the food no matter what it is.
April 5th, 2013, 05:57 PM
one.juniper's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to one.juniper
It sounds to me like he is just exploring something new. I wouldn't push it, let him get acquainted with food and he will eat more when he wants too. I really doubt you need to worry about his iron levels at this stage but you can get him tested at his 9 month WBC. If I were you I'd just keep offering food, eventually he will eat more.

Pinterest
Flickr
April 5th, 2013, 05:59 PM
Mountain~Mama's Avatar ThePastHasNoPowerOverMe
How about a mesh/silicone feeder?
April 5th, 2013, 06:15 PM
gumonyershoe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to gumonyershoe Send a message via MSN to gumonyershoe Send a message via Yahoo to gumonyershoe
Xavier is the same way. He will look longingly at our food yet when we let him touch it or anything he gets a disgusted look and won't do anything with it. Won't have much to do with purées either.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Thank you Vicki... for my awesome siggy!
April 5th, 2013, 08:42 PM
I thought about the mesh feeder, I have one and he's able to feed himself when he wants to so I'll put some steamed vegetables in it for him to try. At the very least I'll keep putting him in his chair and keep trying since he does seem interested in food, at least to feel it. If he plays with the food and manages to get a little into him then all the better.
Jessimaaka likes this.
April 7th, 2013, 04:40 PM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
Hannah will take a few bites here and there, but isn't really officially eating yet either. My pediatrician always says "food before one is just for fun", I'm not too worried about it
Ever likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search