O/T CVs / Resumes

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 17th, 2013, 11:33 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
I think you guys call them resumes? Over here they are curriculum vitaes or "CVs".

I spent all afternoon getting a headache updating mine (finally). The protocol over here is that you have to get everything on 2 pages of A4. Within that you have to have a summary of where you're at and want to go next career-wise, a full work experience history which highlights achievements at each job you've held as well as the job itself, and covers periods of time not working explaining what you were doing, such as jobseeking, student or homemaking times, a full education and qualification history, a section on most recent and relevant in-service training, interests and personal qualities, and references including contact details. Whew!

Since I have taught in 4 schools and done supply (sub) teaching, held another job in HE admin for 4 years, and have several periods of jobseeking/studying/maternity to explain, you can imagine what my CV is like! It is now ridiculously "compact" and I don't know what employers will make of it. But at least I got it done, woot!

What's the protocol for resumes in the US? Do you have to get everything squished into a set space over there as well?

April 17th, 2013, 12:47 PM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
I was told anything longer than two pages likely won't get looked at, but there is no mandated maximum. I was able to get mine to two pages but I played with the font size and margins. The top is a "profile" - 5 highlights about me. Then, in backwards chronological order (ie most recent first), I have my work. I also worked some similar part time jobs which I grouped together to save room. Then I have my volunteer work. Then I have my education and certifications. Any gaps I'm not required to explain on the resume, but it likely will come up in an interview, so I should be ready to explain.

What if you worked at a bunch of different places that are all relevant! Impressive you got it all in Its like a challenge

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
April 17th, 2013, 01:24 PM
Mom2JDub's Avatar (formerly junie22)
Yes, we do typically need to squeeze it into a couple of pages, but it's also standard practice to include a cover letter with applications. That allows for space to specifically discuss how your qualifications are related to the job for which you're applying.

That said, I work in higher education, and it's much more commonplace to have a CV that details everything but the kitchen sink. I've seen 40-page CVs when I sat on hiring committees for dean positions. It seems ridiculous, but it's just the standard protocol in higher education.

My CV is currently 11 pages long and details educational background, professional experience, professional accomplishments, professional conferences/presentations/articles, and professional activities/honors.

April 17th, 2013, 01:31 PM
For teaching applications a cover letter or supporting statement is required as well as the application form and CV where you can go far more into detail about your skills and experience relevant to that particular role in that particular school, but still there are all those standard requirements for the CV itself. And yes, all of my work experience is relevant. Where I worked in admin it was still in education and I was dealing with adult students by email, telephone and face to face on a daily basis. It's a real strength when dealing with parents.

I honestly do not know why you have to cover periods of unemployment, study and homemaking. My recruitment consultant when I worked on supply told me it's so they know you weren't doing any criminal activities or serving time. But surely they pick that up from the police clearance anyway, since for any job in a school you have to have a full and enhanced police check.

April 17th, 2013, 02:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Valkyrie View Post
. My recruitment consultant when I worked on supply told me it's so they know you weren't doing any criminal activities or serving time. But surely they pick that up from the police clearance anyway, since for any job in a school you have to have a full and enhanced police check.
Oh my!!!! That's pretty funny!!!!

And 40 page ones Adrienne? Wow.

Jess
April 17th, 2013, 05:50 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Cover letter and 1 page preferable, 2 pages max.

I run a 7 Billion dollar investment fund and I can guarantee you that nothing anyone has done is important enough for more than 2 pages, no hiring manager will ever read all of that.

You can email it to me if you want and I'd be happy to critique it for you. I've hired people the last 13 years, I've seen a gazillion resumes.
April 17th, 2013, 07:36 PM
Mom2JDub's Avatar (formerly junie22)
40 pages is ridiculous, Jess! In my line of work, all hiring, even for custodial positions, is done by committee, not by human resources or a hiring manager. So the committee has to wade through the CVs for all applicants meeting the minimum qualifications. Some CVs are just ridiculous amounts of detail, but it's faculty listing every single article they've ever published and every presentation they've ever delivered. It's exhausting sitting on a hiring committee.

That said, my husband works in corporate, and we keep his resume to a tidy one-pager. It's just a totally different environment from education.

April 17th, 2013, 08:13 PM
I'm in finance so would be more like what Melanie talks about.

That's interesting about the hiring committee - I interview to hire my team but after HR sorts through them for minimum qualifications I specify and internal recommendations, and I can imagine it would be hard to ask about qualifications in a coherent manner and respond to questions etc.

Jess
April 18th, 2013, 02:30 AM
That's really kind of you, Melanie! Thank you! However since I am in the UK I think I will probably ask my previous headteachers. So so nice of you though.

Oh I'm under no delusions that what I have done is of mega importance or anything like that lol...it's more the amount of different posts I have held and fitting them all on, there's an expectation over here that you don't just name the workplace and job title but highlight up a couple of things in particular you were involved in whilst there as well.

April 18th, 2013, 02:30 AM
That's really kind of you, Melanie! Thank you! However since I am in the UK I think I will probably ask my previous headteachers. So so nice of you though.

Oh I'm under no delusions that what I have done is of mega importance or anything like that lol...it's more the amount of different posts I have held and fitting them all on, there's an expectation over here that you don't just name the workplace and job title but highlight up a couple of things in particular you were involved in whilst there as well.

April 19th, 2013, 08:11 PM
one.juniper's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to one.juniper
I also try to limit my resume to two pages but I don't really put any kind of information about job gaps or the such on it. When it gets too long I just start cutting, I don't really compress. What I mean is, if things are starting to stretch beyond two pages I start removing my oldest jobs from it. Usually my jobs get better as we go forward in time as I've had more experience and thus greater responsibilities and such.

Pinterest
Flickr
April 20th, 2013, 06:38 AM
For my current job, I had almost 3/4 of a page related to my previous job since it was most relevant, but the ones prior to that were all one-liners explaining what I did. In school, we were constantly given maximums for pages that seemed impossible so I got really good at paring things down!

Jess
April 21st, 2013, 07:01 AM
magz88's Avatar First Time Mum
That's good you got it done, Sharron. I am not a fan of updating mine. I will be starting to look for a new job in mid-June. I am not looking forward to the process.

I am also doing cover letters for my husband since we are trying to find him something.
April 21st, 2013, 06:20 PM
gumonyershoe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to gumonyershoe Send a message via MSN to gumonyershoe Send a message via Yahoo to gumonyershoe
I just "updated" mine as well because I just applied for a new position within my current company. Mine is about 1 page. Very sparse. I've not had many jobs. My "update" was removing one line of something that was essentially irrelevant any longer and adding more times I was MVP in my department. (Basically employee of the month)

New job finding is hard and scary!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Thank you Vicki... for my awesome siggy!
April 22nd, 2013, 08:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by one.juniper View Post
I also try to limit my resume to two pages but I don't really put any kind of information about job gaps or the such on it. When it gets too long I just start cutting, I don't really compress. What I mean is, if things are starting to stretch beyond two pages I start removing my oldest jobs from it. Usually my jobs get better as we go forward in time as I've had more experience and thus greater responsibilities and such.
I wish I could do that! Over here, and certainly in the education sector, it's expected that you will explain all gaps and voluntary or paid work from the age of 16. Same on the application form, but in even greater detail.

Last edited by Carwen*Angel; April 22nd, 2013 at 08:36 AM.
April 22nd, 2013, 09:11 AM
That's crazy! Here, that's what the interview is for. And of course to see if you gel with the person.

Have you gotten some feeback Sharron? How's the process going so far?

Jess
April 22nd, 2013, 09:53 AM
I only actually started looking today and am working on a few initial applications (which I don't expect to get because the letter usually takes some refining before I start getting interviews, certainly if past experience is anything to go by). Time has been so short, because with Michaela having bad nights there have been days I've barely functioned, and I'm busy with a ton of other things as well.

April 22nd, 2013, 06:41 PM
ufmelissa824's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've become kind of a professional resume writer over the years with a pretty good success rate (this past job search, I emailed my resume for 16 jobs and landed 15 interviews). I've done a lot of research on resume writing in order to hone my approach and I often review and critique resumes for my friends and family.

To be honest, I rarely ever include a separate cover letter but I do have an email format that I use that has the same effect. My advice is that you should tailor your resume to the job you're applying for. I like to use a Summary of Qualifications at the top instead of an objective. I list 5-7 bullet points that make me uniquely qualified for the job and use strong action verbs like "Skilled in coordinating with community agencies and state media outlets", "Knowledgeable in development of strategic communications plans", "Proficient in crisis communications and financial management". I also lightly customize the rest of the resume to emphasize those skills.

I realize that the education field may be different than marketing/public relations but leadership, organization, time management, etc. are still valuable skills. Good luck!

April 23rd, 2013, 10:46 AM
I appreciate the advice Melissa and thanks for the good luck!

It's a requirement to write a letter of application or supporting statement (same thing but incorporated into the application form) for a teaching post over here, and there would be no point tailoring my CV to each individual school, as the letter/statement is tailored. It's already tailored to teaching listing only my experience in education and transferable skills - missing off my healing qualifications etc. Thanks though!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search