Paregoric?

Forum: July, August & September 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July, August & September 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 18th, 2013, 06:57 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
So as some of you may have seen I mentioned about being done with Michaela's teething and it disrupting her sleep and sparking off my insomnia again etc etc, and a friend on there recommended paregoric.

Heard of it? Know anything about it? Is it effective? Is it even still available?

April 18th, 2013, 07:36 AM
Sherry777's Avatar Blessed Mommy
I have personally never used it; I'm not sure it's available in the U.S.
I heard it is addictive and causes withdrawal, but it's also strong and alleviates pain.

April 18th, 2013, 07:38 AM
Mom to Madeline
I've never heard of it. When M's teeth are bad, I rotate Advil/Tylenol and that helps a ton.
April 18th, 2013, 07:59 AM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
I've never heard of it, hope you get some good answers.

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
April 18th, 2013, 09:17 AM
We don't have Advil/Tylenol, we have Calpol which I think is similar to your Tylenol, we have tried Calpol for the teething pain but it doesn't seem to settle her. And at present we have Bonjela to rub on her gums but Bonjela is really a very gentle, sort of numbing treatment. I don't think it's cutting it for her at the moment. I will ask the pharmacist about it. If it's addictive and causes withdrawals I think I'd rather put up with the sleep disturbance.

April 18th, 2013, 01:28 PM
It's opium based, which is why it's so addictive.

My sitter used to rub tiny amounts of whiskey on Jessie's gums. It worked. The pain relievers with numbing agents were noted to be hazerdous here in the U.S. I will see if I can find a link.

Teething sucks!!! I am so sorry she is having such a hard time. Jessie was the only one of mine that really had a hard time, and I recall the agony to this day.

I might add in case anyone wants to flame me for the above comment, it was my 70-year old sitter that came up with that remedy, and she told us after the fact.

April 18th, 2013, 04:03 PM
Super Mommy
My grandpa used whiskey on me. It's an old people thing.

Thanks Lucy S for my siggy
April 18th, 2013, 05:24 PM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
I haven't ever heard of that.

The old wives tale is to rub whisky on the gums and for the mother to finish the remaining shot (and nursing the baby will help baby sleep supposedly). Honestly, one shot of whiskey isn't enough to get anything to the baby, so I have a hard time believing that part. But I do it anyways on bad nights.

I mainly rely on Hyland's teething tablets, arnica, and amber teething necklaces.

April 19th, 2013, 07:10 AM
My local pharmacy doesn't have paregoric anyway.

I am going to look into an amber teething necklace - I don't know if we have the Hyland's here but I will check when I am next at one of the larger pharmacies in town.

April 19th, 2013, 07:38 AM
The amber teething necklace and hylands tablets work for us too. She also doesn't drool when she wears her necklace.

When she is really chewing on things and moaning, I give liquid pain reliever.

April 19th, 2013, 07:16 PM
one.juniper's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to one.juniper
Pearce's grandma has been suggesting whisky as a teething remedy for months. I don't think well do it but she did it for all of her kids and all of her grandkids (including Pearce).

I really prefer advil over tylonel because advil is an anti-inflamatory so it helps reduce the swelling which further helps to alleviate the teething pain, where as tylonel is mostly just a pain relief.

I believe advil is called Nurofen in the UK.

Pinterest
Flickr
April 19th, 2013, 08:10 PM
aubers68's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've never heard of that stuff :/

I've had plenty people tell me whiskey. I've contemplated it a few times but DH said absolutely not. Thankfully we're doing ok in the teething department, for now anyhow. What seemed to work the best for us we Infants Advil (Ibuprofen). We also used the Hylands Teething Tablets but I swear she was getting immune to them. I really hope you find something soon Sharron. I can empathize with you're sleep issues due to a poorly baby

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search